21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Sorry Jay - I forgot they'd gone standard equipment on the knock-offs.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Good points.

I do like the fact that I can order only the extras that I want with the BDR. SPF includes everything, so I would be paying extra for a few things I don't want or need (a soft top and tonneau cover with their annoying snaps, and an oil cooler to mention three).

Vintage is having a nice special with a Roush 427R polished engine, TKO600 Trans and all installation for around $52.4k. Much less ($44.4k) if I chose a 402 from PE.

Thoughts?

Last edited by jhv48; 04-28-2009 at 01:37 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Surpringly enough in the end it will not matter how much you saved or spent if you do not like the car so get the car you want!!!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Jim,

The Vintage guys seem great, but check out the KC website too, since they have some SPF and BDR specials as well. You're in a great position to swing a nice deal right now. Always compare apples to apples. BTW, I have not purchased anything from Vintage or KC, but know their reputations are sterling.

Please forgive me again, but here's another derailing of the BDR versus SPF discussion for you, but what about that almost new ERA just listed for $62,900 here on CC. You could always try to swing a deal on what appears to be a very nice newer ERA with an original sideoiler.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I have owned my SPF going on 4 years now. The car has been rock solid and Lance has been extremely helpful with anything I needed. I spent years looking before I decided to buy, and it came down to a CSX or SPF. The SPF was the better choice for me. No offense, but BDR was not even in the running when I was narrowing down the choices.

BTW, I would re-think you position on the oil cooler. I live very close to you and it does get hot here in the summer at times. I have never regreted having an oil cooler.

Last edited by SP01715; 04-28-2009 at 02:05 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Well, maybe. Remember though that ERA hasn't even made 800 427 cars yet....
ERA isn't even in the same league. Their work is incredible.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Jim, everything else being more or less equal (both SPF and Backdraft build great cars and have fine dealers), one will say to YOU based on looks alone "Buy ME!"

Here is a pic of my Backdraft and Rod Allen's VERY nice SPF at Mid Ohio to see them in the same "stance".

Some like the more "authentic" looks of the SPF and some like the "more muscular" look of the BDR. Personal opinion varies a great deal on the subject. Neither looks exactly like an original Cobra. For that matter, very few originals looked alike. Go with YOUR heart and what makes YOU happy.

Obviously, I liked the looks of the Backdraft better myself (plus at 6'5" it fits me well) or else I wouldn't have bought a Backdraft. Also, I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with Backdraft and especially with Vintage.

Wishing you many fun safe miles to you whichever one you choose!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUSHAC View Post
Some like the more "authentic" looks of the SPF and some like the "more muscular" look of the BDR.
Having the 17's and your car setting a little further down in the weeds is a HUGE visual difference than a stock appearing SPF with period correct 15's. Just something to think about. You can run all kinds of different wheel/tire combos on these cars to get whatever look you're after.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

There are a few replica owners that use their Cobra as a "Daily Driver". I have driven my SPF rain/sun/snow year around in upstate NY for several years. I haven't racked up the miles of some drivers on this forum - I seem to remember a FF owner with LOTS of miles in a previous thread, but my SPF has seen several years of rain and snow.

Don't want to clutter the thread with photos, but here is a link to a photo of my SPF "daily driver"
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/s...6&ppuser=14970

My friend Don Morse has a beautiful BDR in a one of a kind color. My SPF is a traditional Blue/White. When his car is in the shop, I always hear great comments about his car. The BDR and SPF look very different from each other when parked side by side. Some prefer the looks of the BDR. Others like the look of the SPF. It is simply a matter of preference. Neither is an "exact" copy of the orginal.

When it comes to engine choices, I recommend getting more horsepower than you think you need. You can always add a throttle stop if you have too much horsepower, but it's much harder to go the other way

Another thought...
It is a little known fact that Lance, the CEO of SPF, works very hard to maintain the ownership experience AFTER the sale. He and his staff particpate in ownership discussions and get-togethers, working hard to support the current owner base, and support and improve the product. I'm not sure, but he may even have a photo of my SPF hanging somewhere....

Your dealer can make or break your Cobra experience if you buy new. There are good dealers out there for both brands. I have very limited experience with BDR, but highly recommend Olthoff as an East Coast SPF dealer. Don't just talk to the dealer - ask for the names of a couple of customers - perhaps a recent customer and one that has owned their replica for a couple of years, and ask THEM what they think of the dealer you are considering.

Spend some quality time researching your purchase, and you will be sure to enjoy your replica for years to come.
Enjoy the hunt!
Jim Kellogg
Breesport, NY
Old 04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I'm in trouble now.

The guys over at the FFR Forum got wind that I'm thinking about changing teams.

Not happy!

And there is a heck of a lot of them!
Old 04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

I am on my 3rd Superformance.

Each car I have owned (992, 1380, and now 2715) has never disappointed me.

I have nothing to say about Backdraft since I have never driven nor owned one.

Eric
Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
Sorry Jay - I forgot they'd gone standard equipment on the knock-offs.
Doug, not directed at you. Just the misinformation on what is on a BDR today.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Asp View Post
I am on my 3rd Superformance.

Each car I have owned (992, 1380, and now 2715) has never disappointed me.

I have nothing to say about Backdraft since I have never driven nor owned one.

Eric
Eric,

You've probably mentioned it before, but what's the "Cliff Notes" story regarding the three SPFs that you've owned? Did you purchase all three new?

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 04-29-2009 at 07:23 AM..
Old 04-29-2009, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Eric,

You've probably mentioned it before, but what's "Cliff Notes" story regarding the three SPFs that you've owned? Did you purchase all three new?
LOL, the short story..

992, purchased new with a 351W 400 hp, owned it just under a year, hit a deer at 60 mph, got lucky with my driving and no one was injured. The insurance company agreed to total the car, and I ordered 1380.

1380 purchased new, with a 351W based 418 @ 550 hp, owned that car about 2-1/2 years and quit my job, was re-hired, then fired. I got a wild hair and started my own company, I liquidated almost everything I owned including 1380 to start the company. 3-1/2 years later, company is kicking like Bruce Lee, I ordered 2715.

2715 ordered new, (you already know about the motor), and I think I will keep this car for a while...

E

Last edited by Great Asp; 04-29-2009 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: bad grammer
Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great ASP,

I went to your gallery to check out your cars and bingo, saw the one of the soap, wow, If I had that washing my cars I would not be playing with cars!!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I'm in trouble now.

The guys over at the FFR Forum got wind that I'm thinking about changing teams.

Not happy!

And there is a heck of a lot of them!
Jim, stay away from the koolaid!

Steve
Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #1459 w/460(sold)New(used),spf w/427s.o.(sold)
Not Ranked     

Jim, Would you rather be w/ the mass's or the few Elite ?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Asp View Post
LOL, the short story..

992, purchased new with a 351W 400 hp, owned it just under a year, hit a deer at 60 mph, got lucky with my driving and no one was injured. The insurance company agreed to total the car, and I ordered 1380.

1380 purchased new, with a 351W based 418 @ 550 hp, owned that car about 2-1/2 years and quit my job, was re-hired, then fired. I got a wild hair and started my own company, I liquidated almost everything I owned including 1380 to start the company. 3-1/2 years later, company is kicking like Bruce Lee, I ordered 2715.

2715 ordered new, (you already know about the motor), and I think I will keep this car for a while...

E
Thanks Eric. Great to hear that your new venture is going well and that 1380 played a roll in funding your start-up. You're definitely a loyal brand advocate...Superformance should use you in an ad.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
Jim, Would you rather be w/ the mass's or the few Elite ?
Are you referring to the car, the color or the engine?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
Having the 17's and your car setting a little further down in the weeds is a HUGE visual difference than a stock appearing SPF with period correct 15's. Just something to think about. You can run all kinds of different wheel/tire combos on these cars to get whatever look you're after.
Very good point. I switched from 15's to 17's and my car sits pretty low and it has a totally different look than the SPF in the above picture.