21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     
Default Superformance or Backdraft and why!

All right you guys. Hit me with all the reasons one is a better buy than the other.

I have a FFR roadster right now and want to upgrade to either a SPF or Backdraft. This will be a street car only so don't hit me with any racing benefits. Will probably put a nice calm 450 HP small block in it with a nice level torque curve and a TKO tranny with .82 fifth gear and a 3.09 rear end.

I have read all the bits and pieces on this forum but want a blow by blow fight between the SPF OWNERS and the Backdraft OWNERS.

Why is your car better than the other one. Opinions and facts will be appreciated.

And maybe you can also tell me why so many SPF cars are for sale on Cobra Country as opposed to only a handful of Backdraft cars. Does SPF sell that many more cars than Backdraft to warrant the 10-1 for sale ratio?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #1459 w/460(sold)New(used),spf w/427s.o.(sold)
Not Ranked     

SPF's have been around for sometime now. I would guess over 2500 made to date. Do a search on spf vs. backdraft...Looks like a few nice used one's for sale on this site rite now.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I chose BDR because I don't fit in an SPF. Hey, you asked! LOL Both seem to be great cars.

Steve
Old 04-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
All right you guys. Hit me with all the reasons one is a better buy than the other.

I have a FFR roadster right now and want to upgrade to either a SPF or Backdraft. This will be a street car only so don't hit me with any racing benefits. Will probably put a nice calm 450 HP small block in it with a nice level torque curve and a TKO tranny with .82 fifth gear and a 3.09 rear end.

I have read all the bits and pieces on this forum but want a blow by blow fight between the SPF OWNERS and the Backdraft OWNERS.

Why is your car better than the other one. Opinions and facts will be appreciated.

And maybe you can also tell me why so many SPF cars are for sale on Cobra Country as opposed to only a handful of Backdraft cars. Does SPF sell that many more cars than Backdraft to warrant the 10-1 for sale ratio?
Superformance. Just because.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA # 208, 428CJ
Not Ranked     

Why just SPF or Backdraft ?

ERA makes the closest thing to the street version one can buy.....
http://www.erareplicas.com/cars/669/index.htm
Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Money no object:
SPF
looks better, better chassis, looks better, better brakes, looks better, knock off wheels, looks better, comes with a top.

jason
Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Because, in the end, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 04-26-2009 at 08:48 PM..
Old 04-26-2009, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

So far, just opinions. Looking for some facts too.

And yes, I like the extra room even though I don't need it. The 92 inch wheelbase helps a bit too.

Don't care if it is an exact replica or not. Looking for the ride, quality of build, reliability, etc.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #1459 w/460(sold)New(used),spf w/427s.o.(sold)
Not Ranked     

Maybe some of the BD guys can chime in but ask them if they were equaly priced, which would they have bought..SPF also has SCOF which has a tremendous amount of owner resources and lots of expert advice.
Rbmack5 likes this.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (SPF2265) 482cu, Tremac TKO 600R
Not Ranked     

Both come with knock off wheels, the detailing is far superior in the SPF product with the correct steering wheel, guages, better seats etc. I don't like the "over the top" rivet detail or the side pipe heat sheild on the BDR.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA slabside on order
Not Ranked     

Is there a Backdraft dealer in California? Support after the sale probably counts for something and SPF offers a huge convenience factor for SoCal residents.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Can't go wrong with either car... and I'm not going to start the flame-war.

I like my Backdraft because it's easier to get in & out of. Sit in a FFR or SPF, then sit in a BDR with the seat all the way back. There's less contortioning to be done. The 2" in the cockpit is really noticeable on the ingress/egress. The heat shields on the sidepipes are an option.

As for gauges, I've got Vintage Autometers in mine. I know of a few others that have the Smith's electronic gauges. Others have the VDO.

I'm running a leather-wrapped steering wheel which is identical to the FFR leather wheel, tho I also have the wood Moto-Lita.

I also think Backdraft has the prettiest engine compartment... all that polished stainless really sets off a nice engine. Does a nice job of keeping heat out of the cockpit as well.

And their customer service is dynamite.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600

Last edited by Slick61; 04-26-2009 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-CEL View Post
Money no object:
SPF
looks better, better chassis, looks better, better brakes, looks better, knock off wheels, looks better, comes with a top.

jason
better chassis? gimmie a break.

One of these frames looks like a nicely engineered chassis, the other looks like it's 2 home depot ladders glued together. (i have no idea what the bd frame looks like though)

Old 04-27-2009, 02:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

The BDR has only been around for a 1/3 of the years as the SPF and in the 800 unit range for sales. The reason there will always be a lot of used BDR or SPF is you can’t really afford an expensive toy until you retire and then most find out this is a much more powerful toy than expected and sell their Cobra, which makes used a great buy. I only wish you lived in Florida and had Reg Dodd to deal with personally as he really bends over backwards to keep his customers happy even though he just sold them a race car. I think both cars are in the upper area of Cobra replicas.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SPF
Fit, finish, wheelbase, solid, no rattles, panel rubs, more room in foot well, dana rear end which is almost indestructible and associated half shafts. Hit any bump in the world and the car just is as solid as a rock. authetic gauges down to the lucas amp meter, windshield frame and once again wheel base.

Backdraft
stainless steel sidepipes.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keep em coming.

Would like to hear from BDR owners as well as SPF owners that had problems with the car during the first year and how they were handled by the dealer.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Here's a couple of threads with some comments by some SPF and BDR owners. The real key is going to be to drive both cars. One might look good on paper, but doesn't feel right to you on the road. Your budget will also be a deciding factor. Lots of good deals right now.

SPF Owners- Time to Nitpick!
BDR Owners- Time to nitpick!

Here's another one:

SPF vs. BDR
SPFvsBDF

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 04-27-2009 at 09:41 AM..
Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPF#2572, 427 S/O 2X4
Not Ranked     

Beating a dead horse again - check the archives.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good info, thanks.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

I think it all depends on what your goals are. I am thinking BDR is an extended wheel base which bugs me,I just like the stock 90" look but I'm just 5'9.
SPF has a great rep for quality and they are the leaders in the field. The spf is essentially a street rod with a body that sort of looks like a cobra,great cars but I hate the humped up and skinny look . Again they are well engineered cars.
If your after originality I think the ERA or heaven forbid a shelby is much closer to an original car experience.

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "