23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Great comments, BJ is a great way to market all kinds of cars to "rich fat guys" full of booze and spending big. They promote inflated bids to make money and further inflate the market value of many cars. In addition, Shelby is a big player in the Cobra field and deserves to be credited with value based on his name..so buy a Shelby and enjoy owning a real one.
It's all about fun, Bill
Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Regardless of your own general criticism of BJ auctions, and I have my own criticisms at times, until you can show that this Shelby didn't trade hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller the conclusion has to be it was sold at what the market supported as a legitimate price for a fiberglass Shelby Cobra Continuation series with a 427 at $128K when all is said and done.

And yes I have seen nice FFRs sell at $40k or so depending on the build outside of auction scenarios.

Markets go up. Markets go down.

The auctioneers comment about the Shelby not being one of those "down and dirty replicas" (whether I agree with the statement or not is irrelevant) reveals the mindset of how the Shelbys are looked at today by many of the sellers, auction houses and the buying public and those that are buying and selling them. Of course those that already own the "down and dirty replicas" referred to didn't care for the comment very much (I clearly understand why) but it opens a window into the mindset and how others view the Shelbys vs. replicas.

Again, it seems to validate the proposition that the fact it was a "Shelby Cobra" and not viewed as a replica added an intangible value. Like it or not.

Flame on.

Last edited by REAL 1; 10-12-2009 at 07:53 AM..
Old 10-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

True, anything with the Shelby name is gonna trade at a much higher price than those that don't. Just a fact of 'Cobra' life. These Shelby Cobras look like the originals, and some of these buyers don't care that they are not original. The price of entry is a fraction of an original and it's probably built better. It's all about how you want to spend your money.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You pay more for the Shelby name and you get more for the Shelby name. No doubt about those two facts. Whether there's a difference between the "expense" of the name versus the "revenue" is unknown. I don't know the status of Sal's CSX4241, but he's asking $75K and two CSX6000's, Stephen Becker's CSX's, were sold about a month ago for $60K. Our own PANAVIA purchased a CSX4000 roller for $40K.

Personally, I think the sales price was WAY over the top for a fiberglass car when the gentleman could have had a beautiful alloy CSX for about the same amount.

As for the auctioneer's comments about replicas, if you read the monthly auction magazine "Keith Martin's Sports Car Market", he doesn't hold the CSX4000's or any continuations, tributes, clones, replicas, or whatever in high esteem and he has a large subscriber base of seasoned buyers and sellers.

Last edited by RodKnock; 10-12-2009 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: then to the
Old 10-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Who knows in this wacky economy.

Clearly we had a low selling price at $60K in one venue which clearly was VERY well bought and for now a high at $128K.

Never heard of Keith Martin. He and others may view things different as to the Continuation Cobras in 10 to 15 years. Who knows.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Never heard of Keith Martin. He and others may view things different as to the Continuation Cobras in 10 to 15 years. Who knows.
Great mag, which I really enjoy reading. He and his group of writers/reporters cover auctions all around the world. Colin Cormier is their Shelby enthusiast "on staff" (he owns a 65-66 GT350 race car) and comments on muscle cars, but they seem to focus a lot of their coverage on Ferrari and the other big European marques.

I'm sure he or one of his staff covered this BJ auction and will feature a few pages of pics and comments on various sales from this auction. Hopefully, next month's issue.

Edit: Here's the link to the mag: http://www.sportscarmarket.com/
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

CSX6021 will be back on the block at Barrett Jackson in Las Vegas next month. It will be interesting to see how the price compares with 3 years ago.

1965 SHELBY COBRA CSX 6000 Lot 676 | Barrett-Jackson Auction Company
Old 08-29-2012, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Wonder why they are selling it? Sounds like a collector purchased it last time.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Wonder why they are selling it? Sounds like a collector purchased it last time.
I'm sure they are hoping for some appreciation following DoS...
Old 08-29-2012, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
I'm sure they are hoping for some appreciation following DoS...
That's probably right, but I don't think recent auction sales will support that strategy. Might be different if Shelby American stopped production of CSX continuation cobras.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)