21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Jerico 4 speed road race box.

Hi all, I'm after some feedback based on user experience...

Re: Downshifting a Jerico 4 speed box.

What I want to know is what works best? I understand that the BEST shift style is double clutch, heel toe and throttle blip under braking etc. Obviously this all needs to happen fast and at the right rpm speeds. I'm not a pro driver.

If this all can't be managed a regular change with throttle blip is nearly as good. I've been advised the faster the throw change the better.

I emailed Jerico in the USA and regarding the way they best recommend to downshift their boxes and their response was...

"Press in the clutch, and select the required gear."

That was it. One line. So I qualified their response by asking......

So Jerico, you're saying that I do not need to double clutch or blip throttle on down shift?

Response

"yes"

Their customer service for a reasonable question about their product was pretty poor.

I then rang their Australia Agent. Now there's a difference. The bloke spent 20 mins on the phone with me and said that at my next track event he'd drive down and come and have a look at what i was doing and he'd share his experience.

Based on that response alone I've booked the box in for strip down and refresh at the end of the season.

Anywho, tell me your experiences please.

Spookypt
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Jerrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Hi all, I'm after some feedback based on user experience...

Re: Downshifting a Jerico 4 speed box.

What I want to know is what works best? I understand that the BEST shift style is double clutch, heel toe and throttle blip under braking etc. Obviously this all needs to happen fast and at the right rpm speeds. I'm not a pro driver.

If this all can't be managed a regular change with throttle blip is nearly as good. I've been advised the faster the throw change the better.

I emailed Jerico in the USA and regarding the way they best recommend to downshift their boxes and their response was...

"Press in the clutch, and select the required gear."

That was it. One line. So I qualified their response by asking......

So Jerico, you're saying that I do not need to double clutch or blip throttle on down shift?

Response

"yes"

Their customer service for a reasonable question about their product was pretty poor.

I then rang their Australia Agent. Now there's a difference. The bloke spent 20 mins on the phone with me and said that at my next track event he'd drive down and come and have a look at what i was doing and he'd share his experience.

Based on that response alone I've booked the box in for strip down and refresh at the end of the season.

Anywho, tell me your experiences please.

Spookypt
Give a slight throttle lift pull the lever from whatever gear you are in to neutral the engine will spin the gears up (you can blip the throttle too) and put in the gear you want quickly, no clutch involved.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's on the down shift??? I flat shift like this going from 3 - 4 but didn't know you could do it going from 4 - 3?
Old 08-21-2012, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

I look after three Jerico's all fitted to race cars, two of the drivers/cars are flat shifters[ both up & down] the other guy insists on using the clutch on downshifts..... he [the clutch user] gets more wear & tear on the shifter dogs than either of the flat shifter cars, I have tried to convert his habits, no luck.

One thing /habit you must get out of is using engine braking [ a lot of drivers dont even realise they are doing this ]...spend some test time & get your brake balance right, when braking at the end of a straightaway & down shifting at the same time you shouldnt feel the back end of the car chirp the tires as you downshift
Old 08-21-2012, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I broke the transmision in my 1993 Bojangles cup car at Willow springs last month. I have a t101 transmision in it. I was braking with the left foot and shifting without the clutch shifted from 3rd down to second with a blip on the throttle while in neutral.

On the up shift back to third I felt binding in the tranny then the sound of all hell breaking loose. I'm not sure what caused it to let go but it felt like two
gears engaging at the same time.

I'm looking for a t101a with oil pump.

2008 SCCA Vintage Infineon Raceway - Historic Stock Car Racing Group - YouTube

Here's a video of the car driven by a driver before I bought the car using the clutch.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some folks use the clutch, some don't.........upshifting is easy without the clutch, just takes some practice.....I prefer using the clutch to downshift.....

NASCAR drivers rarely use they clutch, but they don't care, those transmissions are rebuilt after every race,they only have to last 500 miles or so!!!!!!!

David