Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley, 427ci 500hp
Not Ranked     
Red face range not enough

the range of the batteries is not enough yet for most people to fully replace their gas vehicles. their going to have to bring it up to at least 350. and how long does it take to charge? What happens if you loose charge on the side of the road?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1048, 392w
Not Ranked     

good info on their site, including power band, etc. - if memory serves...

batteries are supposed to have a life of 100k miles.
3.5 hours to charge
Old 08-10-2006, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1048, 392w
Not Ranked     

good info on their site, including power band, etc. - if memory serves...

batteries are supposed to have a life of 100k miles.
3.5 hours to charge
Old 08-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 FE 4-speed CR "TL" heavy spline
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don
Jack......might be a challenge to register in CT as it might be designated as a " Composite ". ( smile ), along with no revenue for emissions testing:

0 to 60 in 4 seconds, some comparisons from Road & Track :

Ferrari F430 F1 ( $202,353 ) 3.8
Lamborghini Gallardo ( $201,100 ) 3.9
Porsche 911 Turbo ( $ 125,535 ) 3.9
Corvette Z06 ( $ 65,690 ) 4.1
Viper SRT10 ( $ 85,745 ) 4.2
Ford GT ( $ 153,345 ) 3.8
____
The Lamborghihi Murcielago is listing in Motor Trend at 3.4 - 0 to 60! Oh, $293K to $350K is the price! But, you get 631 HP! The interesting part is the warrantly is for 2 years - 24,000 miles - Yikes!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOBRAC
Electric cars are nothing new, they've been around since the early 1900's. (Un) Fortunately even GM can't make them work. It was rumored they lost $25-30k on every single EV-1 it built. They didn't even have the confidence to sell the stupid things... Every one was leased and presently none are on the road. We still have electric car charging stations at the city hall in my town that are NEVER used.
Well.....Yes and No. I have the direct inside track on this; I'm married to one of GM's senior fuel cell research scientist. We had an EV1 for a short time as part of GM's research program. Not all, but some are still on the road today, but only certain GM employees drive them through the program. They get charged by home adapters or at the GM facilities that host the cars. The car was not a complete loss and taught the engineers thing they needed to know as far as the electric motor and power applications were concerned. The major shortcoming was the 100 mile range which was not always 100 miles depending on your driving habits. It was amazingly fast for its short driving time.

I'm holding out for one of the fuel cell powered cars my wife is working on. Hydrogen is the best solution for the future.....although I love dealing in cars that harkened back to a time where dead dinosaurs were king . Anyway, with fuel cells the range of an average car will be in the 600-700 mile area and it will burn 100% clean. Electric motors driven by the power output of a fuel cell are very torquey. I have been for rides in some of GM's test vehicles and they are very fast. Technically the only thing holding us back is the supply infrastructure for the hydrogen.

By the way, don't anybody think that a fuel cell powered Cobra has not been discussed at my house . I'm waiting for the day the FC cars hit the dealers and I start the worlds first FC hop-up parts business and have an in house development scientist.

Just my ramblin for the evening.

--Mike / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Ask your wife if the energy required to produce the hydrogen is a justifiable amount, given that hydrocarbons were probably burned to generate the electricity to separate the hydrogen gases. Some kind of ratio would be helpful to understanding this quandry.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Good question.

Unfortunately, only a fusion/fission/positron anihilation heat source will provide enough cheap & clean electricity for the hydrogen cycle to work efficiently, particularly in fuel cells, which require particularly clean hydrogen.

As much as i appreciate W's courage and plain common sense about many things, he is not yet about to give his oil pals and father's oil pals and the Saudis the heebee-jeebees about replacing our oil economy big time and soon.

But sooner or later we need to tell the arabs to go pound that sand...
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington
Old 08-10-2006, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pipes
Ask your wife if the energy required to produce the hydrogen is a justifiable amount, given that hydrocarbons were probably burned to generate the electricity to separate the hydrogen gases. Some kind of ratio would be helpful to understanding this quandry.
She was right next to me when I got the email notification for this post. She works on the fuel cell membrane research not hydrogen production, however this is her answer:

Hydrogen is the most abundant gas in nature and has many sources. Burning hydrocarbons such as natural gas or coal to produce hydrogen is only one source. She does not know the ratio off hand. Hydrogen is also a byproduct of some manufacturing processes in certain industries today and could be harnessed as fuel instead of waste. Solar energy and Nuclear energy can also be used to produce the gas. There are also many other viable sources. Basically, no country that had a hydrogen infrastructer for fuel cell cars would need to import hydrogen, especially the U.S..

She suggests this web site: www.hydrogen.gov

--Mike & Sue / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_duell
Hydrogen is the most abundant gas in nature and has many sources.
--Mike & Sue / Turn Ten Racing, Inc.
Titanium is actually one of the most abundant minerals on (in the) earth, so why is it so expensive?
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 09-02-2006, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX-34201
Not Ranked     

Titanium is very hard to cast at high quality standards and must have very tight tolerance's on temp control during the process. I use to deal with Titanium foundries in China and only certain foundries could handle the tolerance's. So that is why it is pricey! Certain Aluminum alloys aren't so cheap either. I have a titanium bike which is indestructible, i bet a titanium cobra would be sweet!
Keith
Old 10-30-2006, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

The car is cool and all, but 0 - 60 on full charge? How often is the car at full charge? One 1/4 mile pass and you can't repeat the result until you charge up again.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2457, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripes,460FR, SCJA, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

George Clooney's daily driver. Top speed 150 MPH. 0-60 in 4.0.

Take a look..

www.commutercars.com
Old 10-30-2006, 04:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectable 302, C-4,Ford 9 inch
Not Ranked     

I don't question the claims of the electric car's performance specs. I am skeptical of the test conditions. 150 miles on a single charge. Ok, Any hills in that 150 miles? How about wind? What was the temperature during the test? The capacity of a battery to produce electrical energy is the function of a chemical reaction, which is dependent upon temperature. Also no battery fully recharges. Our car batteries only have to charge up enough to turn a starter motor for a short time.
If you read the current articles on fuel cell technology and the hope of hydrogen, there is one more obstacle besides fueling stations. The size of the fuel tank. Hydrogen fuel tanks for cars will have to be enormous to produce a range of 300 miles like contemporary cars.

regards
Old 10-31-2006, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello from Michigan!

Here's my contribution to this thread:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

Another 0-60 in 4 seconds. No sound, no shifting, and no need for side pipes!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking 0-60 in 3.9 pontiac 421 stock-car and driver mag

What do you think of this time? I remember this road test from years ago.No one could believe how quick this giant boat could move.(not my text below)

Comments: Catalina 2+2 sales increased 44% for 1965 as the model sported a new body riding on a new, slightly longer chassis, with a 121 inch wheelbase. The 2+2 standard engine was now the 421 V8 with a single four barrel carb rated at 338 bhp. Two other 421 engines were available, including a Tri-Power (3x2 bbl) version producing 356 bhp and the 421 HO rated at 376 bhp. Standard features of the 2+2 included heavy-duty springs and shock absorbers, a three-speed transmission with a Hurst shifter, dual exhausts, and a performance axle ratio. There were also special interior and exterior trim treatments, including bucket seats, seat belts, full carpeting, custom pinstriping, and vertical louvers on the front fenders, all standard. A new Turbo Hydramatic automatic transmission replaced the old Hydra-matic and improved performance. Car and Driver tested a Catalina 2+2 and recorded a top speed of over 130 mph and a 0-60 time of just 3.9 seconds.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

The Tesla is a neat little car with a great pedigree from it's base as it is built on a modified Lotus Elise. As with all things electric, the price is slowly coming down on batteries as technology advances.
If you are interested in Hydrogen cars, check out BMW's new V-12 car that is being tested in various places.
If you are looking for 0-60 in 2.8 seconds, 300 hp, 250 lb. of torque, 1 g. cornering grip, 1325 lbs wet, two seats, 4 wheels, at about $ 40,000, check out a Made in America Ariel Atom...Brammo Motorsports of Ashland, Oregon, however, registration might be a bit of a problem in some states. Plenty of attitude and the whole 9 yards of driving "in your face"
Old 02-27-2007, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

what ever gas you save,Ill use it up for you!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3881 427 FE w/2x4bbls and 4 spd toploader
Not Ranked     

NJBigBlock,
That Pontiac 2+2 you refer to was "professionally warmed over" by Royal Pontiac in Royal Oaks, Mich. (kind of an extreme Royal Bobcat project). It took a staff of about six "factory folks" to get those numbers but it sure ate the Ferrari 2+2's lunch in that show down at Bridgehampton. The test equipment of the day was not as accurate as what is used today so the numbers quoted are probably a little optimistic, but not by much. I think the tested 2+2 was Jim Wangers (Royal Pontiac) personal ride. Wangers new a few things about quick trips down the quarter mile. Royal built a very quick '62 Pontiac Ventura Tri Power for me back then that I wish I still had.
RB
Old 02-28-2007, 07:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

That was in the same era as the "stock" '64 GTO that ran 12 second quarters at 106 mph plus. Amazing what a massaged 421 inch motor can do for a goat.

Shelby pulled a similar trick with the 260 Cobra that was made available to the mags for testing. That engine somehow grew about 50 extra horsepower before it found its way into the car.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 3881 427 FE w/2x4bbls and 4 spd toploader
Not Ranked     

Open headers (Hooker), a high numerical rear (4:56 to 1), M+H 7" cheater slicks on a well tuned 389 Tri Power four speed would get the '64 GTO sedan into the high 12's fairly easily. Felt like 200 with those 5" drum brakes!
RB