Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-14-2010, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Strut arm issue

I am installing the strut arms and I can only get 1 bolt hole to line up. Do I need to compress the springs so the holes line up. They are for a 74-78 mustang II suspension. I searched and someone said I need a pinto strut arm which is slightly different. Is there any way to make these work or do I need to buy the pinto ones. Of course I already drilled the holes so I can't return them.
Thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeen19 View Post
I am installing the strut arms and I can only get 1 bolt hole to line up. Do I need to compress the springs so the holes line up. They are for a 74-78 mustang II suspension. I searched and someone said I need a pinto strut arm which is slightly different. Is there any way to make these work or do I need to buy the pinto ones. Of course I already drilled the holes so I can't return them.
Thanks
they don't line up angularly? or you can't get the arm low enough to start the bolts?

i just replaced my strut arm bushings and you do have to wrestle with them a little. don't tighten up the back nut until you have the two started and seated into the control arm. what i don't get is..."you drilled the holes"? in the control arm? the holes are kind of critical in location and size.
the bolts have a spline on them like wheel studs that presses in to the control arm.
if you need pinto arms though, i have a used set for cheap if you need them. the pinto arm end is angled harder at the control arm.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had to drill out the holes to accept 1/2" bolts that come up from the bottom of the LCA. The sturt arms came with the bolts that press in but the book that came with my kit said to make the holes larger and use the bolts with the kit.

With the suspension just hanging I can get the bolt toward the front in but the back looks to be about 1/2 a bolt off (if that makes sense). I was thinking if I raised the suspension up they might line up but it doesn't really look like it because the angle looks a little off.

I wanted see if there was any way to make the ones I have work, if not could you please pm me with a price for the pinto arms.

Thanks for the help
Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

before you give up on those post a pic of whats happening.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C
Not Ranked     

Yep there pinto strut arms. Slightly different angle 44 to 52 degrees. I did get mine mustang 2 to fit. I bent them slightly. Good luck. I'm probably going to replace them shortly.
Ron

http://kingtuttonline.com/~rjays2/in...c5b3ab570473f0

Last edited by rdc767; 06-14-2010 at 12:48 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is what they look like. The angle is definitely off. I saw that you (rcd67) bent yours, but that is probably not a good idea right?

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by wakeen19; 06-14-2010 at 06:12 PM..
Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectible
Not Ranked     

i was having the same issue and i removed the bolt that goes through the lower arm that the coilover mounts to half way. then i was able to get the strut rods to line up. it was hard to get the bolt back all the way through the frame for the lower arm but i used the wratchet tie downs and a crow bar to pull it back up.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C
Not Ranked     

I asked Joe from A&C about it. He said he has bent them before. It worked for me. But. My car is starting to pull a bit to the left on braking. Not bad. But I have a thought that the strut is shifting back on braking. For 70$ I think I'm going to eliminate the bent strut.
Ron
Old 06-15-2010, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter - 427
Not Ranked     
Default Strut Arms

Just a question? Is this problem from using donor parts? All my parts came from A&C and I had no problems with this alignment.

Joey
Old 06-15-2010, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I got them out of a catalog, not with the the kit. The manual says to use the suspension from a mustang II, pinto or bobcat, but they are not all the same. I guess i'll have to buy new ones, I'll give the others to my son maybe he can play hockey with them or something. He'd get a forearm workout at least.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: