Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default towing your Cobra

I need to tow mine and u-haul said my minvan couldn't pull a 4 wheel trailer....can the Cobra be towed with a 2 wheel dolly? the trip is 400 miles
Jon
Old 11-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I say yes it can, leave the trans in neutral. I'm sure others will say no because of concern the driveshaft turning the trans gears will result in loss of lubrication.

400 miles, I don't think that's gonna be a problem myself. Me? Well, I wouldn't do it, because I have a trailer I pull with my truck.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

That is how I brought by car home to Tucson from New Hampshire. I did disconnect the drive shaft. It's only four bolts, so why take a chance and not remove it.... The only possible issue is the way the car sat on the dolly, the side pipes were very close to the dolly itself. I just reversed the hitch to make it higher in the front, lowering the rear of the dolly.

Last edited by azfordman; 11-03-2010 at 02:39 PM..
Old 11-03-2010, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I would worry about rock chips towing like that. My enclosed trailer has a ton of rock chips on the front of it.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

New Hampshire to Arizona? Yeah, I'd be tempted to remove the drive shaft for that long haul! It's only 400 miles, rock chips and tranny damage are pretty remote possibilities.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

It's only about 300 miles from my house in CA to my house in AZ, and yes I have alot of rock chips from that drive.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2743, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

Will U-Haul rent you a truck to pull a 4-wheel trailer?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I towed mine on a small 2 wheel car/equipment trailer. That worked out great for me, but I'd suggest you call a competent car hauler. People are hurting for work now. You should be able to get a decent rate & piece of mind. It only takes one small mishap to lose everything you've saved by doing it yourself.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     

If you go the car hauler way, check out Uship.com. Haulers will compete with offers once you input your shipping details. I did it that way twice and it worked out great. Haulers are required to list their insurance limits and DOT certs. All the information is right there. I paid $650 to have a 23 foot boat hauled form Orlando, Fl to Kennett Square, Pa once. The hauler called me numeropus times along the way keeping informed on his location. The other time I had a mid year corvette hauled from NJ to NC. Both times were great experiences. And these days people are looking for work.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I guess driving it is not an option, for whatever reason. But that's what I would do, and follow along in the Van ready to go rent a two wheel dolly if it came to that.

I think the rock chip idea is over reaching. Rock chips can happen from simply driving. Towing, assuming it's freeway conditions with a Van, as specified, would put the risk at minimal to about the same as simply driving it.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Holliday Motorsport/396 GM / 4 speed / Jag rearend
Not Ranked     

I'm just wondering why you need to tow it? If you are taking it some where and leaving it why not drive it and rent a car for the return trip. Maybe borrow a buddy's truck and take it to the u-haul place bring the trailor home and hook it up to you van. When you get back drop it off with your van and just grin and say "I told you so".
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default driving there

the ride s from central NJ to Buffalo NY and the weather isn't that warm(mid 50's) if it were in the 60's it would be a great ride! I wish I had a friend with a suv or truck!
Jon
Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
I guess driving it is not an option, for whatever reason. But that's what I would do, and follow along in the Van ready to go rent a two wheel dolly if it came to that.

I think the rock chip idea is over reaching. Rock chips can happen from simply driving. Towing, assuming it's freeway conditions with a Van, as specified, would put the risk at minimal to about the same as simply driving it.
You must not do much towing. I have towed boats and other toys for years. The only way I have avoided most rock chips (not all) was to have a long motorhome type mudflap installed on my tow vehicle. It has to go almost all the way to the ground to keep the front of the trailer / car from getting blasted from small rocks from the rear tires of the tow vehicles. Why do you think they make car protectors and flaps for motorhomes that tow vehicles behind them?

The flaps at the bottom of the page on the link is what I had to do...

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGdVqBIN...ow_car_shields

Last edited by SP01715; 11-04-2010 at 02:09 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
the ride s from central NJ to Buffalo NY and the weather isn't that warm(mid 50's) if it were in the 60's it would be a great ride! I wish I had a friend with a suv or truck!
Jon
Jon-
I was contemplating a similar drive later this month- NJ to ME, also about 400 miles. I was going to drive it myself, but then got some quotes. $600 on an open trailer, $725-$750 enclosed trailer. By the time you deal with rental costs, fuels costs, avoiding tow/rock damage to the car, etc., it just made more sense to have it transported.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's only 400 miles. The tow vehicle is a Van. The dolly puts the nose in the air. Rock chip damage risk vs ease of using a dolly, in this case, it makes sense. I'd do it in a second.

My tow vehicle is a dual wheel Van, with mudd flaps. I've had a couple of boats, towed a bunch, it's all about risk management vs expense no matter how you do it. Open trailor? Closed? Dolly? Two straps or four? I run a "just big enough" open trailor myself, light weight all alloy dual axle. Some prefer the heavy enclosed type, I like to add lightness.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have rock chips on the front of my enclosed trailer several feet above the tongue, but it's not my car and not my decision. I am just trying to give the guy some advice. I towed a brand new 20K dollar trailer 260 miles years ago, and the frame rails sustained damage. I was very upset, and no longer tow anything I care about without flaps. JMO
Old 11-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The make trailers with a simple front wedge for protection vs a fully enclosed one, which is what I would prefer. An option like that is available for my trailer in fact. But, my car is old enough that I don't worry about it anymore. It has a nice "patina" already.

But again, were talking about a single 400 mile trip, one time, not a new trailer for extensive towing purposes.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1995 CMC 390 4 speed, blue, and 2002 CMC 390 C6 red.
Not Ranked     
Default Easy to tow

with a "T" tow. I pulled my cobra and other cars thousands of miles without any problem. Just PLAN as you drive not to back up.
You MUST remove the driveshaft. It will not sling properly with only the drive shaft turning. Get the tranny plug and take out the DS.
Good luck.
PS It will tow so well you'll forget it's back there until you seee those "bugeyes" looking right over the trunkdeck in your mirrow.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You DONT HAVE to remove the driveshaft for a top loader manual transmission. As per Ford towing instructions, ALL Ford 4X2 and 4X4's with manual trans can be towed an unlimited distance by placing the trans in neutral.

Specifically, this is for RV owners wondering what cars they can and can't tow behind their rig. Either a flat tow or on a dolly. 4X4's can get a little more complicated, some REQUIRE that all four wheels are on the ground (I think Subaru is like that), which rules out a dolly.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default thanks

looking at some bids,if weather changes(possible mid 60's next week) i might drive it...let you know
Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: