Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Member and Build

I am pretty excited about starting my Cobra build soon. I ordered an A&C kit from Sonny that's due to arrive next week. The garage is prepped and I have a 351W sitting on an engine stand in my garage waiting to find new home in the bay of a Cobra.

Based on what I can see from the assembly manual from A&C (= pretty basic), I am pretty much on my own and am going to need a lot of help....
Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

You will be fine because there are a lot of people here that will gladly help you. To what extent are you going to be building the car? Will it come to you as a roller? Are you responsible for the brakes, wiring, upholstry, paint, tires, wheels, engine, etc?

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-03-2012, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

where are you located? i have had my A&C on the road since may 2011. build took about 2 years, went pretty well. i found the A&C manual to be more than sufficient.

i'm not sure that if you should be building a car if you need a 600 page manual like factory five :P
Old 02-03-2012, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am outside of Philly. I was sold on A&C because of the quality of the body and the option of getting the gel coat finish. I didn't want to have to spend a ton of time doing finish work sanding and filling a fiberglass body. I am doing the full build--the roller option was tempting but I want the experience of building this top to bottom. I am doing this with my 9 year old son as my assistant so we can put our heads together to solve problems that arise. I appreciate the offer of help and will post questions and look for input as I need it.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Ah! So you are going to help your 9 year old build it. 9 year old's now days are like 21 year old's in my day. You might as well set it up to be computer run and have your 9 year old program it.

All and all, great project for you both. Most of all, have fun & enjoy your times together.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Great choice
I went with A&C for the same reason, the body and Gelcoat.
I ordered mine in Mid 2000 and by Labor Day 2001 it was ready to be titled.
You have a lot of support right here in this forum on Club Cobra and everyone on Club Cobra, even the guys on the ffcars site are very helpful. We all love these cars and everyone is willing to answer questions and offer suggestions and help.
When I started my build all I had was the "Manual" and Joe's cell phone number. Don't bother calling Sonny on build questions, he will be the first to say "ask Joe T".
My only regret was not knowing of this "Excellent" knowledge base while I was building my ride. There are many things I would have done differently, but I am still very happy with the original decision to go with A & C. Over the years I had to make changes to the original way I did things, you know a work in progress.
Good Luck with your project and remember "No question is to stupid, better to ask than make a bad choice".
Jim
Old 02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter - 427
Not Ranked     
Default A&C Build

I agree totally with Jim. I'm very pleased with my choice. The body is great. I painted stripes on the gel coat and will paint the entire car later. You will see that the guys here will be more than glad to help whenever possible. That includes pictures if you need them, Just ask. I just have a general knowledge of machanics and I built my car completely with no problems, I did learn alot, like electrical. The manual was great for me.

My only question is, do you ever finish. I still want to do so many things. I changed my carpet to black this past weekend. I think I just miss the build process. That was a blast. Now the best part, the drive...

Joey
Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of the offers of help. I have done some engine work in the past --rebuilt a 64 Corvair flat six engine many years ago and have done some other stuff likes brakes and clutch but nothing as involved as this project. I am a tinkerer by nature so I think I also may never be finished.....but that's the fun.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: acc
Not Ranked     
Default build

I'm about half way with my build. Chassis,motor tranny etc. done and the body is on. I'm hooking up the brakes currently, so far not too much trouble. My only problem is I want everything to measure exact and that's not how it is!! I'm pushing myself to get moving on the car, I want to have plates on by Good Friday, we'll see......
Dave
Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter - 427
Not Ranked     
Default New Builds

Alright guys, you need to make a gallery and post the pics as you go. It's cool to see your progress. Good luck and have fun, I know I did.

Joey
Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will post some pictures--- although at present they will just show a frame on jackstands and a bunch of boxes of parts! Seriously, I can see that I will have lots of questions as the build progresses and I will look forward to drawing on the collective wisdom and experience of this group.

I just got a heater for my garage (I'm in the cold Northeast) so I will have no excuse not to start assembling soon....
Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Welcome, SP. I am in Chester Springs and have built several kits, but never an A&C. I'm more than happy to lend a hand. What town are you in? We may not be far apart and you will find that there are many guys around you with a range of different cobras, but a similar mindset.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 02-09-2012, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C
Not Ranked     

Have fun.
Easy kit. need any pictures let me know.
ron
Old 02-09-2012, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C,351W
Not Ranked     

Building from the manual is not bad until you get to finishing the interrior. I hated that. No real explanations just do it.

The other thing I found was that I didn't always want to do things like the instructions said. Would have other ways I though things should be. That's when things get interesting. Now you build with no guidlines.

The other thing I found with my build, I took forever, was that some of the things I did early in the build I ended up changing years later. More confidence I my abilities and some things I just was not happy with from the start. If I would have just got the kit and tried to get it on the road as quick as possible I would have never taken the time to do things the way I wanted them.

Do to circumstances beyond my controlled, (life, kids, work, motorcycles,ect.) my project dragged on over 6 years. All that time I just kept thinking I just want to drive this thing. I finished the spring of 2011. Took till late summer of 2011 to finally get the plates. Drove it a total of 600 miles
before sticking it away for the winter. Now I totally miss the build. Actually had an offer on the car that I considered real hard. I just want to build another car.

Bottom line, enjoy the build. Don't be afraid to stray from the plans a bit the get the product you want.

Aaron
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C,351W
Not Ranked     

Building from the manual is not bad until you get to finishing the interrior. I hated that. No real explanations just do it.

The other thing I found was that I didn't always want to do things like the instructions said. Would have other ways I though things should be. That's when things get interesting. Now you build with no guidlines.

The other thing I found with my build, I took forever, was that some of the things I did early in the build I ended up changing years later. More confidence In my abilities and some things I just was not happy with from the start. If I would have just got the kit and tried to get it on the road as quick as possible I would have never taken the time to do things the way I wanted them.

Do to circumstances beyond my controlled, (life, kids, work, motorcycles,ect.) my project dragged on over 6 years. All that time I just kept thinking I just want to drive this thing. I finished the spring of 2011. Took till late summer of 2011 to finally get the plates. Drove it a total of 600 miles
before sticking it away for the winter. Now I totally miss the build. Actually had an offer on the car that I considered real hard. I just want to build another car.

Bottom line, enjoy the build. Don't be afraid to stray from the plans a bit the get the product you want.

Aaron
saltshaker likes this.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a question on the front suspension assembly:

The front shocks come out of the box with 5 rubber spacers/bushings on the top. When you mount the front springs how many spacers go between the threaded rod of the shock and the inside of the shock mount? I assume one on top of the mount with a washer and nut.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I posted a photo in the gallery regarding the previous question
Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique&Collectible 392 stroked
Not Ranked     

I put one on top and one under the shock tower..but I only had four total with my kit
Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Robert. I spoke with Joe and he recommended 2 above and 2 below but I don't think it's critical either way. Some of this is a bit like putting together a puzzle but that's what makes it fun.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: acc
Not Ranked     
Default Update

Making slow progress, exhaust out for coating. Working on setting cowl and dash.Sending dash out for hydro coating next week something new I've never seen in a cobra. Dropping car off in 4 weeks for stripes. Hope to have plates on by Good Friday......
Dave
wakeen19 likes this.