Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 07-28-2015, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Suddenly after 8 years a strange electrical issue

Hi Everyone, looking for some help in finding an issue with my driver side tail lights. Driving home on Sunday, someone flagged me saying that my driver side brake lights were out. I figured it was a bulb. Under closer examination, the lights were actually very faint. Right sidelights were good. I checked the turn signal for that side and not only does it flash (weak light) but doesn't the license light also flash. Right side turn signal works fine.

I've never had an electrical problem. This is a first. Could it be as simple as a faulty flasher under the dash? Why would the license plate light also flash suddenly?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
thank you
Nelson
Old 07-28-2015, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure I fully understood your description, but if one bulb is weak and another that shouldn't be lit is also on, I suspect you have a bad ground. Run a temporary ground wire from a known good ground to the faulty fixture. If that fixes the problem, you have confirmed a bad ground. Then you need to find/fix/bypass the bad ground.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-28-2015, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Im running a lucas rear tailights setup including the old connection system. The lights are dim. When i turn the signal light on the driverside, the license light also flashes. When i turn on the passenger side signal light, that works fine and the license plate light doesn't flash.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

The tailite is getting a poor ground through the license lite would be my first guess. Do what Tommy suggests.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry in advance about this question since it might be considered as a dumb question. A good ground is found on the frame only since the rest of the car is fiberglass?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automan View Post
Sorry in advance about this question since it might be considered as a dumb question. A good ground is found on the frame only since the rest of the car is fiberglass?
That is correct. To be doubly certain, run a jumper wire from the negative battery terminal as your known good ground.

Second thought: I'm not familiar with your particular light fixture. All fixtures on fiberglass bodied cars have to be grounded, usually with a wire. Sometimes the wire will attach to the body of the fixture if it is metal. Other times it will be one of the wires that goes to the socket for the light. On standard wiring, the ground wire will be black.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 07-28-2015 at 06:44 AM..
Old 07-28-2015, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you, Tonight after work, i will attach a direct line from the socket to the negative side of the battery since the battery is right there. The negative side is already mounted to the rear bumperette frame mounting.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Everyone, Well the issue turned out to be a bad ground wire that had become loose. Tore it all apart, soldered it together with some shrink tube. Good as new. Thankyou for all of your help!!!
Old 08-04-2015, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Glad it was an easy fix.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default A&C lights

Automan, I have extra light sockets from A &C if you need a extra
Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: