Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2004, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectable 302, C-4,Ford 9 inch
Not Ranked     
Default Antique&Collectible guy needs advice

Hey Guys,

My 302 just arrived, and I have positioned it between my frame rails. I am looking at the directions from A&C about how to measure for the correct spacing. Now I am scratching my head.

1. The directions state: to measure back 22 1/2" from the backside of the 2x2" square tube cross member to the middle of the passenger side header pipes where they exit the body.

This would appear to be a diagonal measurement? As the tube is between the main rails, and the headers are outside the rails where they exit the body.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am want the headers to exit through the body in the correct place.

Jer
Old 11-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Jerry: It is not a diagonal measurement, it is a vertical distance from the cross rail back to a position vertical to the middle of the passenger side head of the engine. You also need a measurement from the top of the cross member up to the centerline of the camshaft pulley. With these two dimensions you can position the motor properly in the frame. You need to do this so you can mount the mounting brackets for the engine mounts. I drilled my frame, some guys position and weld the brackets. Also some guys center the motor and some guys offset the motor. If you have questions call Joe T he usually can help you. Aslo, don't forget John York, he can also help you with this.
Good Luck.
Jim
Old 11-20-2004, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Looking at my notes from years ago, this is how I did it. I only mounted the block so the headers were not on yet. I took measurements from a completed A&C that a friend had.

Passenger side:
Upper x member to 1st exhaust header bolt CENTER 15 3/4"

Height Measurement:
Lower x member - Top of bottom of x member to center of water pump pulley 9 1/2"

Old 11-20-2004, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim & Roscoe

Thanks Guys,

I am toying with the idea of weld tacking in the motor mounts in case I need to re-position them, that way I can grind them off and re-weld if neccessary. Never installed and engine before, so thanks for the help. I will also call John York. Always appreciate your experience!

Jer
Old 11-21-2004, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

No need to weld. Get some 'c' clamps and use those. Set the engine with mounts attached in place. Then clamp the mounts in place and remove the engine. Drill the holes, bolt in the mounts and reinstall the engine.

Roscoe
Old 11-24-2004, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default Motor Mounts

Roscoe is right - use C- Clamps. In fact, once you have the mounting locations marked and drilled you will have to use C- Clamps.

After I drilled the mounting holes, I attached the mounts to the motor and lowered the assembly into the frame. When I did that the frame mounting plates were about 3/8" to 1/2" away from the frame rails. That's where I had to use the C-Clamps to gradually pull the plates to the rails so I could insert the mounting bolts.

Gerry, I would recommend that you use Grade #8 bolts to mount the brackets to the frame and also to attach the mounts to the brackets.

Tony
Old 11-24-2004, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Roscoe:

Tony:

Thanks for the advice, courage up and back into the garage!

Jer