Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2004, 08:37 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Gel Coat Body

Need some help here!

I have been on the road since Labor day 2001. I have 10 k miles and I have the Chrome Yellow Gel Coat body from A & C. My next project I wanted to do this winter is to have a qualified paint shop prep the body and put a couple of coats of clear over the base "Gel Coat".

The color still looks good but there are some areas that still have the original buffed polished areas from the original delivery state of the body from A & C. I have done some buffing with the materials Joe T said to use and still not really happy about some areas. Also, I have developed some cracks in the Gel Coat near the front fender splash area where I cut out for the side pipes.
So, I thought this winter would be time to have someone wet sand the body, I would remove all the hardware on the body: windsheild, lights, side pipes, bumpets etc.

I have taken the car to at least "Five" reputable body shops and all have said they would not do it!!! They are concerned about how hard the Gel Coat is. They are concerned that the clear would not pentrate and bond to the Gel Coat. One guy even called PPG while I was there and said "No Way it will not bond, first chip you get in the clear, the wind turbulence could get under the clear and it will blow right off"!!!!!!!

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking for someone to do this in Northern Ohio or if someone could transport the car for me it could be farther, to put clear over the yellow. NO STRIPES.

The last guy said he would only gurantee a new paint job of sanding, primer, sealer, new base Yellow and two coats of clear. I said yeah, for 3.5k to 5k. He said that's about right.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Jim
Old 11-26-2004, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

I'm not a paint expert, but the paint guys are right. The gel coat is not something you stay with. It really is only there as a release so the body won't stick to the mold. The ONLY right way is to drop the $$ and have it painted. The gel coat is not always evenly applied and when sanded can easily wear through to the glass. Long story short, you don't wont to do what you're thinking of doing.
Tim
Old 11-26-2004, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

A&C advertises that the gel coat can essentially be a substitute for paint, and even have an $900 upcharge for the 'good' gelcoat but it's still not paint and like your body guy says you can't just paint over gelcoat, it needs sanded and the correct prep, primer etc. before paint can go on it.
Nothing wrong with a gelcoat finish, especially if you're building a track car or want strickly a driver, but it's not paint.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Get ahold of Tony Madrid. He had his red A&C clear coated and it looks great.

Roscoe
Old 11-27-2004, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

PN,
Not to start an arguement, but not clear coating 'gel-coat' is hogwash. I've been doing it for nye on to 25 plus years now. YES, it takes exacting measures, but it does NOT need to be primed etc.

I've done it on 22' boats before with the same beautifull results.

I have seen many A&C cars clearcoated which I have done numerous times in the past. Me or anyone that really knows what they are doing will get you the finish that you are looking for. The end results, when done right are simply marvelous!

The cracks you speak of...when you made the cut out for the side pipes did you cut 90' angles or did you make each corner rounded? Fiberglass does NOT like 90' cuts! That will certainly have to be fixed.

Ed 'DV' Combs...
Old 11-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV:
Thanks for the reply. The corners are radiused about 3/4". I hit something in the road and it flew up into the fender area and must have flexed the body. Joe T at A & C said I need to grind out the crack and refill with Gel resin I have in a couple of containers I got with the body.
As far as clear coating the gel coat body, I know you have commented on this subject in the past. I remember the thread that Tony M had going where you said you were going to have Joe T at A & C send you a sample and you would clear it and show it off to prove the point it can be done and it will look much better than before.
Okay, I want to get my body clear goated. I live between Cleveland and Akron. I will take off all hardware items. Is there someone local or not local that will prep the body, tape off all areas not being cleared and tape off the underbody not to get over sprayed on it.
I can have the car ready for transport by the first of Jan '05. I would like to have the car back by Mid March '05.
Is there someone who would do the job and guarantee the job and last what would be the cost?
Looking for a little help here.
Jim
Old 11-28-2004, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Jim,
I remember that thread...but Sonny nor Joe ever sent me a sample and to be honest, I just simply forgot. Shame on me.

I don't know anyone in your area to recommend. I will of course do it for you, but I am about 6 hours north and east of you. If it's not to far away from you then I'd be glad to talk to you about it.

You going to pull the bumpers, windshield, side pipes, etc.? That will save some money! You supply me with what Joe sent you, and I'll fix the cracks.

Call me anytime at 231-425-6823
Old 11-29-2004, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default clear coating gelcoat

I got my Cobra from A&C in a gelcoat. The problem with gelcoat is that you can't get it in metallics or pearls and you can't get it in two colors; so that means you can't it with stripes which I wanted.

My options were to either get it without the gel and have the body painted with color and stripes. This wasn't in my budget. My second option was to get it in a gelcoat and apply decal stripes - NO WAY!!!.

Third option was to get it gelcoated in the color I wanted and then have the stripes painted on. That is what I had done and the process wasn't that complicated.

To begin with the gelcoat finish has to be scuffed off using eitherscotchbrite pads or very very fine sandpaper. The next and probably most important step was that the entire body had to be washed with a solvent to insure that all of the finish residue had been completely washed off. Once that was done, my painter taped and painted the stripes. After the stripes were on he clearcoated the entire body. He then buffed out the finish and the result was a nice finish and the clear added depth to the luster.

Many times people have asked me who shot the paint and they are amazed when I tell them that it is a gelcoat cleared over.

I just looked through some of my paperwork and I had a note that Joe at A&C had given me. He advised me to let my painter know to be sure to use Dupont Polyoxidane. When I had mentioned this to my painter, he immediately knew I was talking about and said he wouldn't use anything but.

I completed my build last Summer and the finish still looks great.

As an aside, when I had this done I had figured that I would go with the gelcoat and perhaps a few years down the road, if the finish didn't hold up and at a time when there was more in the cookie jar, I would have the car painted. Truthfully, I am happy with the way the finish looks and hope I don't reach the point of having it painted.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably do it the same way.

There are pics in my gallery.

Tony

P.S. Roscoe, is the memory failing? My car is blue not red.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:31 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DV: 6 hours North and to the East??? West No!

anyway, thanks for the response and offer. Transport of car with everything off. Any suggestions on how to get it to your new shop? If you have any please let me know. Also, what about dollars? Better over the phone? Let me know, I'll call.

Tony, Nice pics, thanks for the info. PPG said no way will it stick.
Interesting.

Jim
Old 12-01-2004, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Tony,
You are right....you have a blue Cobra. There was someone else a year or so back that clear coated a red one. ......

Senior (or Senor) Moment,
Roscoe