Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C, 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Gelcoat/fiberglass cracks

I was curious if anyone has had any problems with cracks developing in your A&C gelcoat? I've only had my car on the road since October 2006 and it has less than 1800 miles on it. However, this morning I noticed 3 large cracks, about 2" each at the corners of the hood opening toward the nose of the car. I haven't called A&C yet, I just wanted to see what other have experienced first.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excaliber body, Modified Custom frame
Not Ranked     

Sometimes Stress' are in certain area's of the car body from assembly. Overtightening of bolts, slight misalignment, extreme temp changes, as well as many other things can lead to cracks. Ask any vette owner! Check with a quality body shop and you might need to shim parts to get rid of the stress on the body. A quality body shop can also repair those cracks. Good luck,

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" JFK
Old 07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

I've had my car on the road for 8 years and never had a crack. Like the above post says, stress put on the body via misalignment, etc. can cause a stress crack.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

I have some cracks that appeared near where I made the side pipe cut out. I put in what I thought were generous radius in the corners. I noticed these cracks coming from one of the corners while washing it. I did run over something that was thrown up into the wheel well near the bottom of the body.
I asked Joe about it and he said they could have come from that if the hit was big enough, because it looks like the bottom of the body flared fender area is what might have flexed.
You have to get real close to see them and they have not grown any.
Joe said if I had any of the resin left he gave me, he could gring out the crack and fill it with the resin.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C cobra 351 W Tremec 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I have an a&c bought 2 months ago with 400 miles on it was flawless. drove 300 miles developed cracs around windshield posts hood corners at rear louvers, and around roll bar. I checked clearances don't find anything hitting. I did find no rubber between frame rails and body. I wondered if this could be problem. I want to fix problem before recoating or painting. I also wondered about adding fiberglass stiffening under body in areas where cracks developing to add stiffness. Any help or suggestions appreciated
Old 01-23-2009, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

First question have you opened the hood and let it rest on the nose to keep it open. Also do you have good support for the nose of the car and did you force the nose up a little when mounting it. I have a few of Joe's cobras under my belt and I have seen cracks during the build from moving the body around wrong but nothing big at all after the car has been finished.

The cracks around the windshield holes is very had to imagine, only thing that comes to mind is the windshield posts are putting pressure or rubbing the body. The posts should float inside the holes never should it hit on the front or back edges of the holes. Shimming the windshield posts is a real important thing to be carful of the wrong pressure on the windshield will cause it to brake.

Stop by and see what we are working on @ www.eddytheb.com