Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Toploader Shifter Problem

I have a shifter from a Kirkham for my Top loader. Problem is, with the engine and trans installed the shifter comes through the tunnel to low..the base of the shifter is 3" below the tunnel and only the curved portion of the shifter come through. Is the Kirkham shifter shorter...can i raise the trans? any suggestions?
Jon
Old 06-07-2009, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectable 302, C-4,Ford 9 inch
Not Ranked     

You can get a longer shifter from LOKAR
http://www.lokar.com/
Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default thanks

thanks, I think I'm looking for a different approach....
Old 06-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Which toploader are you using? I'm asking because in my ERA I have a Toploader from a '66 Galaxie, and the shift position is like that of the 289 Cobra. The Galaxie shifter body bolt pattern is the same as the Fairlane pattern, but unlike the Mustang unit. I actually like that shifter location, so I used a shifter body from a Sunbeam Tiger (same as the bench seat Galaxie). My original shifter body was a galaxie console shifter, which sat about 3-4 inches too high for my tunnel. I still have the console shifter body on the shelf.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 460
Not Ranked     

Jon,
Check in my gallery. You'll see the shifter bracket that will solve you're problem. There should be an interior shot that shows the shifter.
Mike
Old 06-08-2009, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hurst mounting bracket wanted

looking for a bracket used with a Hurst super shifter #195-8382...maybe someone has one, the part is back ordered!
Jon
Old 12-19-2009, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: United States
Send a message via ICQ to ponvire09
Not Ranked     
Default Toploader Shifter Problem

hi i bought a toploader and a bellhousing from a 72 or 73 mustang and i want to use it on my 73 comet. Can i use a newer motor with the toploader engine who are 50 oz balanced ?
My bellhousing is 1 inch more large that my c4. do you think i will have problem using headers ? thank you
Old 12-19-2009, 07:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My trans has a thick piece of aluminum sandwhiched between the stock trans mount and the trans to raise the final hieght of the trans equal to the thickness of the alloy bar. 1/2 to 3/4" I guess it is. With that in place the motor, trans and driveshaft are all perfectly level.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponvire09 View Post
hi i bought a toploader and a bellhousing from a 72 or 73 mustang and i want to use it on my 73 comet. Can i use a newer motor with the toploader engine who are 50 oz balanced ?
My bellhousing is 1 inch more large that my c4. do you think i will have problem using headers ? thank you
The tranny is ignorant of what is in front of it. As long as you use the correct flywheel fro the engine you shouldn't have any problems. What casting # is on the bellhousing? You may need one from an earlier 'stang, but I don't think there was any difference between the '67-'70 models and the '71-'73 ones. It's been since the 70s so I don't remember all the details, but we swapped several Mustang smalblocks into Mavericks( same thing), and don't recall any issues that stand out. I'll look at the interchange book and if they note a difference, I'll post it later. As long as you get headers to fit the chassis, you shouldn't have any problems.