10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-03-2001, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Cobra Registration in AZ

I'm hoping someone can give me an idea what to expect when registering my Cobra. I currently have a temp. registration which will expire the end of this month. According to one of the local Title/Licensing agencies, I need to take the car to DMV for inspection. My concern is lack of emmision equipment - my car has none. I have a early 70's 302 with 4 bbl.

Can anyone tell me what to expect or what I should do??

Thanks,

Blair Miller
Old 08-03-2001, 11:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Blair,

Not sure how it works in Tucson. But my experience up in Phx was very delightful. Registered as a 1965 Roadster per MSO from FFR.

I'll email you tonight.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 08-03-2001, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: too many to list
Not Ranked     

Blair,
I did this 4 years ago, the inspection is for S/N's, bill of sales and lights etc.. Az law states that If your replica looks (smells and tastes) like a 65 or 66 model, it meets the BS emmissions for that year - none!
Feel free to call me anytime,
Bill
928-636-6190
Old 08-05-2001, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blair, the guys in Tucson have had problems with the DMV here. The DMV does not recognize the REPLICA status and each station seems to follow it's own idea of replica as well as the individual agent. I'd suggest that you contact Gordon Levi and trailer your Cobra up to Tempe or Phoenix where he gets all of his done. He has been able to get them registered as a 1965 Cobra roadster replica. Give me a call at 529-8878 if you have a question, John
Old 08-14-2001, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: everett, ho 351
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Cobra Registration in AZ

Quote:
Originally posted by BMMILLER
I'm hoping someone can give me an idea what to expect when registering my Cobra. I currently have a temp. registration which will expire the end of this month. According to one of the local Title/Licensing agencies, I need to take the car to DMV for inspection. My concern is lack of emmision equipment - my car has none. I have a early 70's 302 with 4 bbl.

Can anyone tell me what to expect or what I should do??

Thanks,

Blair Miller
blair: just registered an e-m cobra in flagstaff, az. origional title was from e-m in florida and was titled as a 1967 kit. the inspection of the car took about 2 hours and i think what they are doing is checking for stolen parts, engines, etc. when all was said and done it was given a new arizona id # and licensed as a 1967. it will probably be licensed as the same year as the origional title given to you by the origional manufacturer jerry
Old 08-15-2001, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

I went through the drill about this time last year here in Mesa. The friendly lady at the DMV inspection told me to bring it in to her at the station over on Greenfield Road in Mesa. She said the standard practice is to title and register it as the year and model it's supposed to replicate, in my case a 1966 Cobra, and that they did a couple each year. As stated in earlier posts, the inspection is to check for VIN and serial numbers, not safety or emissions. They are more concerned that you don't have stolen parts on the car. Once she was convinced the VIN numbers matched the previous title (from Pennsylvania as a no-year "Reconstructed Vehicle"), she sent me in to finish the paperwork inside. The only problem there was the state office apparently has no listing for a type of car called "Cobra". After about a half hour of whispered phone calls while I sat and wondered what was going on, the desk lady (different from the inspection lady) asked "Are there any parts on this thing which are from a real car?" I told her the engine was from a 1966 Ford, and that's what they put on the title and registration. Total bill, if I remember correctly, for title transfer, registration, and vanity plates (150PLUS) was about $88. You have no idea how much nicer this experience was than when I tried to register it in PA. That was a teeth-pulling, two-year screaming match which required the intervention of my state representative to resolve. I love Arizona.

Last edited by chopper; 08-15-2001 at 06:36 PM..
Old 08-16-2001, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: too many to list
Not Ranked     
Default Penndot

Chopper,
I moved from the Valley Forge, Pa. area 5 years ago and haven't looked back. ADOT is wonderfull compared to the PA counterpart.
Bill Gildersleeve
byepa@aol.com
Old 08-16-2001, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

Y-Not:

I am well familiar with Valley Forge. I lived in Springfield, Delaware county, and worked at the Boeing plant in Ridley Park. Our chief test engineer lives in Valley Forge and used to regale us with the stories of trying to get out of his driveway in the winter. We would get about two inches of snow and he'd get about two feet. And they were trying to figure out what to do about the deer which were rapidly consuming every living bush in sight. His opinion of the deer dropped rapidly over the past few years. He said at first he thought of them as Bambi, but lately they have become just big, hoofed rats.

BMMiller: One correction to my previous post. Upon checking the actual paperwork, I find that the DMV people did, in fact, get the make correct and the car is titled and registered as a 1966 Cobra, model listed as SPCON (specially constructed). I don't know if that makes any difference, just so the year is pre-1967. I live just inside Maricopa county and we're subjected to the regular hassle of emissions checks. Thankfully, that's behind me, at least with the Snake.