21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-11-2009, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Spooky,
Thats great about your car being on display at BJ. It is Beaaauuutiful!! If I remember right, they had your car on display(or the roller) at BJ Jan 08 and seeing the solid black was what caused me to decide on the same scheme for my CSX, When did your car get finished and how did you get on display?
Ron
Old 12-12-2009, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65' SPF (511 CID) FE 427 Alum Block Shelby /Roush 600hp-625fpt sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Ron,

Todd contacted me about it, having it on display a couple of years ago. This will be the 3rd time. It wasn't there last year. I have had mine back form Roush about a year now since they have fixed the ring sticking problem. It really runs good. Chasing a little oil leak right now, but other that that all is good. It's nice to have Bob there locally to keep an eye on it. They take good care of the car though and cover it every night. At least I get a few tickets to get in. It's a good time.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Finally!!

After 4 long months my engine is back on a truck headed to Arizona. It is about Freaking time. My question to those more knowledgeable than me - Do I need to take it easy to break this motor back in again like everything was brand new? It only had 600 miles on it to start with but with only 6 months left on the warranty I feel compelled to make sure any more bugs get worked out before the warranty expires. All I know for sure is that is received a slight Overbore (1-2 extra cubic inches) plus new valves, rings, and pistons.
Ron
Old 01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Ron - Great to hear! Roush would know best, but my bet is that you'll need to treat it as a brand new engine and break it in per their specs.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i would have thought they would want to dyno the engine before they returned it. bad business on their part imo. did they dyno the engine when purchased new?

anyway, you ever see what they do to a new engine on the dyno? drive it like you stole it.

then again, they should have proper instructions on oil and whatever else you have questions about.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As far as break in if they dynoed, it is broken in. 95% of break in occurs in the first 20 minutes of engine run time. I would get it up to temperature easy, put a 100 miles on it, stay away from synthetic for 3K miles, run 10W30 as Roush suggest and keep it under 6K.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
As far as break in if they dynoed, it is broken in. 95% of break in occurs in the first 20 minutes of engine run time. I would get it up to temperature easy, put a 100 miles on it, stay away from synthetic for 3K miles, run 10W30 as Roush suggest and keep it under 6K.
Roush dynos their engines before they leave their plant. That being said, when I took delivery of my motor they recommend that I put 500 miles on it before pounding on it. Pretty standard stuff.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 01-13-2010, 02:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
+1

Roush dyno's all newly built engines, but they should have dyno'ed it again in this situation. You should definitely ask.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I forgot to mention that yes, they did dyno it on Monday before it got sent back. It was dyno'ed when new as I received the sheet from them when I built the car. I appreciate the advice everyone. I just cant wait to get it back and get some miles on it. I am just concerned about getting enough miles on it to shake out any other bugs before the warranty expires.
Thanks again,
Ron
Old 01-13-2010, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Wish I could get them to address mine. It still won't run right. And I warmed it up this weekend and there is definitely an oil leak somewhere - burning oil smoke coming from the driver's side somewhere as it heats up. I looked for it with a mirror but couldn't find the spot. With Todd gone I get to start all over.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

CSX,
My guess is Roush will stand behind there motor after the warranty for awhile in your case, you may want to ask and get it in writing.
Dan
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did ask and was told that no they dont ever do that.. Half of me wants to blow up the motor before the warranty ends so they will have to get me a new motor. I never would but thats what I feel like after this
Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My Roush engine had a minor issue (intake gasket needed to be replaced) and was out of warranty by ~3 months. Roush didn't even blink about paying for the repair.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65' SPF (511 CID) FE 427 Alum Block Shelby /Roush 600hp-625fpt sideoiler
Not Ranked     

Good for you Ron. Roush will bend a little with that warranty. It will be a brand new motor. Remember they are still working on a few kinks with these 511's. Todd will be t Barrett-Jackson next week. Be sure to pay him a visit. I know he is with Superformance now, but Roush and Superformance work together. Mine has been great. Just a little oil leak now and then. Looks like it comes from the valve covers. Cork gaskets !!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

Tim and Ron. I could be mistaken but, Todd is not taking over the VP position at SPF until February. So, his time at B-J will be with Roush.

AZ Bob
Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob,

That I knew. He told me that he has been wearing both hats for a while. How I look at it is that I have a Superformance Cobra and a Roush motor so I have the support on both ends. Ar you working the show this year Bob? I'm sure I'll see you there.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

I heard recently that Roush dyno's their new motors for only 10 minutes. Given that it takes at least 20 (if not 30) minutes to break in a motor, my humble recommendation is to run the motor on an break-in stand (or dyno) for 30 minutes - beside break-in, this will give you the opportunity to check/fix any leaks, perform an initial tune for your altitude and retorque the heads (if needed), etc... All of which are easier to do with the engine out of the vehicle. Just my 2cents...
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

Tim, I am planning to tour B-J on Tuesday, Wed and Thurs. I have free passes (thank you Ford). Friday I will be at Russo & Steele and Saturday at the Silver Auction. The Kruse and the ICA are this weekend when I am working. The RM and Gooding are too rich for my blood. 3 is enough. I'll run into you there and keep an eye on your car while I am present.

AZ Bob
Old 01-14-2010, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

All,

I have been very happy with Roush support, some times things take longer than expected, but with a big company things sometimes take a bit.

We are working closely with them to assure customer satisfaction and happiness with their chosen solution.

At the Mustang Ranch we have an internal policy that states that a motor will not be installed in a customer car unless it has at least 1 hour run time and 5 starts on it in a row without error.

It usually means we run them for about 20-30 mins on first run-start. then we let it cool (overnight) and do another cold-cold start the next AM.

that run is about 10-15 mins. after that we double check oil level condition etc. we let it sit only for about 5-10mins to do a heat soak, then fire it up again for another 10-15 mins.

after that we let it cool for about 2 hours and do another start to verify choke / timing / idle set screws. -- after that it usually gets one more morning of cold starting.

So our new motor is in the stand for about 2-3 days. (why we have 2 stands )

In this way we can make sure that the motor will be 110% done and working correctly when we spend 8 to 24 hours putting it in a chassis.

this process has saved us thousands of dollars per year, and builds confidence in the product.

Steve

This is with Roller-Roller and Flat-Tappet hydraulics.

this includes any motors provided by 3rd party producers, Roush, Shelby , FRPP.

The only exception to this rule is the current 4.6 and 5.4 mod motors, as we do not have a way to fire up the 32V cobra mustang engines without them being in the car.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com

Last edited by PANAVIA; 01-14-2010 at 08:36 AM..
Old 01-14-2010, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I dont have a stand or a dyno to do that but it is good to know about the limited dyno time at Roush. After they get the motor back in the car I will check with them about their process for running it.
Thanks