Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     
Default install of a lift on Swiss Trax floor

My lift is getting installed after Barrett Jackson and I am wondering if anyone has a 4 post installed on a Racedeck or Swisstrax floor? If so, did you ct out the tiles or put the lift right on top of them?
Ron
Old 01-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

If it were me I would cut the tiles and mount it directly to the floor. But I dont have the floor tiles or a lift. So what do I know.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

cut the tiles

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 01-08-2011, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3/302/570 street avenger
Not Ranked     

Ron,
My 4 post is free standing ( not mounted to the concrete ) and has roller jacks I can put on it to move it around. I've moved it once in 2 years. If you have that option, I would wait to permanently mount it. If you'ld like to see it, let me know. Scott.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Thanks. I forgot about the rolelrs but I think mine will have that as well. That would help to make sure it is in the right place before bolting it down.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hello 4910,

I have a Backyard Buddie four post lift sitting on a race deck floor. I did not cut the tiles and have had no problems/issues, I have used the rollers to move it around and underneath the area where the lift sits no real indentations.

Four years and counting without a problem, pics in my gallery with the Black and White floor.

Tony R. CSX 4264
Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony,

That is good information to know. I did not know they had about a 12" SQ footing to set on.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I used the 18" tiles in both of the garages, the toy garage has black and white and the regular garage has tiles that my wife picked out. We have two two car garages.

Tony R.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

I also have a Backyard Buddy installed on top of Racedeck. I placed a 12X12 vinyl tile under the 4 posts (sticky side up) but don't really think I needed to. I also put strips of vinyl tile under the ramps. This prevented scuffing of the tiles by the ramps. I don't think I needed the tiles under the posts. I have the rollers but have not used them. Thin metal jack stands will cut into the tiles. I welded pads on the bottom and no more problem. Roller jacks work fine.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default Think twice before bolting down.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
Thanks. I forgot about the rolelrs but I think mine will have that as well. That would help to make sure it is in the right place before bolting it down.
Thanks
Ron, make sure you know if your garage has stress tension bars installed in the floor or not. If they are installed and you drill thru one it could cause you some major issues. I installed my Greg Smith 4 post lift over the holidays and have the rollers that come with the lift. These rollers are really great since they give you the opportunity to move the lift whenever you need to. The rollers are removable and the lift just sits there. I have moved the lift twice since getting it so I could fine tune the location for my other car. Hope this helps. Cheers, John, AKA tin-man
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

You don't need to bolt down most 4 post lifts. Mine has been in place for years on top of the Race Deck and hasn't moved.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Did you ask Racedeck or Swisstrax for their opinion ? They will probably want to know the load rating at each post. If you do inquire, please post the replies.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good point about stress tensioned floor, my garages have that and there is an alert written into the top on the concrete. Do not drill or cut into this type of concrete, it will come apart violently.

Tony R.

Last edited by Tony Ripepi; 01-09-2011 at 11:29 AM..
Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anybody that has installed theirs just setting on concrete (not bolted down) and had an issue with them moving?

If so, could you just epoxy some stops on the floor on the front and sides? My guess is that it would not take much of a stop to keep it from moving.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

I had race deck and would move when I would bring the motor coach inside. Called the rep and he sent someone out to look at my install. Gap at edges looked OK to him and screws were put threw race deck to stop movement. It did not work, floor would move if I turned any little bit or when stopping. I took out and put down 12" black and white Porcelain tiles. No more problems when bus is pulled into garage. When the concrete was poured I went 6" thick and put 1/2" re bar 12" o.c. Went with 6 sack also. I snapped lines around mill, lathe. and two post lift so if equipment was taken out later the bare spot could be filled in with tile later. The lines were snapped both ways around equipment so grout lines would be even if equipment is ever removed. Used 1/2 the thickness of grout you normally use to make floor more solid, Bus weight about 51000 lbs and I also bring 9000 lb capacity forklift inside once in a while, don"t know how much it weights. I bought a Bendpak 4 post lift and I put it on top of tile. Went to supply store that sells belting for conveyors to put under 4 posts, about 1/4" thick. I have not bolted the 4 post lift down, however it is next to side wall where closets are and I put angle iron on top of posts next to wall and bolted to wall. I bought 4 post that is a little taller so I could open closet doors. If I do heavy work on tile I put down 1/2" ply wood to protect tile, such as using engine hoist , floor jack or transmission jack. I put down leather wielding blanket if I do any wielding under lift. Floor is holding up real well and was not that expensive, I paid 90 cents each for tiles. I got extras in case I pull equipment out later or if some get chips later. You can take a tile out and replace it and never know it. Getting extra tiles at time of first purchase insures the same lot number and it has not been discontinued.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, It sounds to me that a four post on a Swiss Trax floor and you are only going to drive a 2500-4000 pound car on it you should not have any problems.

All good points to know.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorta off topic . But do these work in a normal height garage ? With two normal cars .
SDR
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF5 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

You will not have a problem with the racedeck tiles. No need to bolt lift to floor either. No problem with standard wall hieght. Will have to cut whole in ceiling for windshield and roll bar though.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,

Here is a link to the Backyard Buddy web site with specific information on dimensions etc. I have had mine for 8 years , moved it from one house to another and no complaints....great product.

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

Tony R.

Last edited by Tony Ripepi; 02-02-2011 at 10:46 AM..
Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

what is your garage height ?
sdr