LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     
Default Barrett-Jackson 2012

Spent the day at B-J today. Beautiful 70 degrees, sunny Arizona day. You know..... normal.
Saw Lance, Ashton, Jason, Todd at the SPF Booth. Boy, were there a lot of Cobras everywhere. Tinman's car was there too. There were 2 other big rig cobra booths there. One was another SPF/Shelby/Roush dealer and the other was Backdraft. There were SPF cars in several other booths. Such as Meguiars. Saw the Grand Sport but the Perhana Z is still at the Scottsdale Dealer.
What a great selection of cars! Promo says 1300 cars but my inside man says there may be 1550.
I have been attending B-J since 1983 and my impression is: This is the best quality lineup I can remember.

I will attend at least one more day, maybe 2.

AZ Bob
Old 01-17-2012, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Sounded like a great day.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

i'll be there friday and saturday!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

I'll be there Thursday. Bob, Did SPF have the Grand Sport on display?

They certainly look like the quality of cars is up this year based on what I have seen so far. Last year I was very disappointed in the overall quality as compared to previous years. Went to the Scottsdale International Museum auction last Saturday and it was pitiful. There were better cars at the Pavillions car show across the parking lot than the "museum" I have seen better collections in people garages.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I had planned on coming down for the week but a business trip to San Jose got injected into the week, so I'm in San Jose Tues-Wed and get to Scottsdale Thursday PM. Ford GT group dinner Thursday PM and then at Westworld Friday and Saturday for the big lineup. I want to see the Tucker in person.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

It is a world class event along with the other opportunities in the area for car nuts ....you really should go if you can manage it. The TV Production is just ok and I appreciate it , but being there is a completely different and much more intense experience. The cars are the deal when you are there, not the bidding....go...make it a pilgrimage....if I have a complaint, it would be to see a greater variety of cars.... but I understand it is muscle car heaven...
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
I'll be there Thursday. Bob, Did SPF have the Grand Sport on display?

They certainly look like the quality of cars is up this year based on what I have seen so far. Last year I was very disappointed in the overall quality as compared to previous years. Went to the Scottsdale International Museum auction last Saturday and it was pitiful. There were better cars at the Pavillions car show across the parking lot than the "museum" I have seen better collections in people garages.
I went to the meseum last week also, it was such an impressive display of cars, I took my family back to look, you must have went on the wrong day, took about 50 pictures of cars that were all well over 50,000 grand, you must hang out in some cool garages or have really rich friends.

Last edited by fordracing65; 01-18-2012 at 07:40 AM..
Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Saturday, I viewed the cars at the MotoExotica Auction. The 100 or so cars were interesting but few were restored collectibles. The GRG Auction at the Scottsdale Classic Car Museum on Sunday was a better level of cars and some should bring healthy dollars. They had more cars and a broader selection, including several cobras. Neither of these, of course, compare favorably with B-J or Russo. I will visit Russo on Thursday and Silver on Friday and report. I have not planned to attend RM, Gooding or Bonham since my interest is really muscle type cars and cobras. And entrance fees can kill your wallet.

AZ Bob
Old 01-18-2012, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went to the Scottsdale Museum last Saturday, the day of their auction. Other than the auction cars being brought in there probably wasnt 15 cars on display and there were maybe 6 or 7 out of 100-150 auction cars that looked to be decent quality.

Maybe they had cleared out all thier regular cars to make room for the auction. I was extremely unorganized, choaotic (sort of reminded me of the eartly days of Barrett Jackson). I will go back another time and see if it is different
Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

The collector car market is a different animal all together.

That being said, and given the previous comments on the overall quality and number of cars currently available at BJ (and other places) are some of the best in recent memory, does anyone have an opinion as to why? The economy really hasn't changed at all. Are some collectors cashing out for cash's sake, or are the buy/sell economic curves still in equilibrium? Prices have been down in recent years.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know they have expanded from 900-1100 cars up to 1300-1500 to make the same money. I think they have added a lot of lower end "driver" cars but also brought in some higher quality cars from these collections since there will always be people in the high end of the market willing to pay well for "perfect cars".

IMHO what you don't see if the stupid money like a restomod Hemi Cuda clone going for $100K plus or an emealnor going for $150k. those cars are properly going for what they are worth (more in the $75-100k range)

Still a higher quality car but it takes more of them for B-J to book the same revenue they did 4-5 years ago with 300 fewer cars.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB View Post
Spent the day at B-J today... Tinman's car was there too.
Bob, what day is his car set to sell on? I still think that was a hasty decision, but wtf....
Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tinny's car is not on the auction block. It is just showing in the SPF/Shelby Display. No For Sale signs. Just on display.
I am befuddled also.
AZ Bob
Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am befuddled also.
AZ Bob
I sent him a short email, thinking he's probably not checking messages here. Maybe he'll reconsider and things will still be ok. There's no sense in rushing a decision.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default After the crash

Here's what you can do after your passenger side gets destroyed:
Yup, full size wall art.

AZ Bob
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Here's what you can do after your passenger side gets destroyed:
Yup, full size wall art.

AZ Bob
But there was no damage done to his car, right?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You mean Tinny's car? No damage, looks great.

AZ Bob
Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You mean Tinny's car? No damage, looks great.
That's what I thought. Well, if he gets back to me I'm going to urge him to just stick the car in storage for a few months and then decide what to do at a later date. Maybe then he'll come to his senses. The whole thing went down about as bad as it could and I'd hate the tin-man saga to turn in to another rsimoes saga....
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, FR302
Not Ranked     

I can't stand it anymore.......... I have to ask......... Is there a problem with Tinny's car, or Tinny?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Words escape me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDMNBB View Post
I can't stand it anymore.......... I have to ask......... Is there a problem with Tinny's car, or Tinny?
The entire incident is quickly approaching "the build of which we do not speak" proportions. I was not in the garage when it happened; the whole thing has only been described to me; and in my own mind I am having trouble visualizing how it even did happen. But it did and, apparently, he wants nothing more to do with his car. I have an email in to him, but I think he has gone "off the grid," as we say....