LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Cobra w/351W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX4815 View Post
When I moved from CA my title issued by CA DMV said 2004 special construction. I took the car to be inspected by the ADOT compliance officer here in Bullhead along with my CA title and registration and they issued me a new AZ title and registration with new plates in no time at all. Car was titled in AZ as a 1965 special construction Shelby Cobra. I was told that AZ is one of the few states that title a replica as the year of the body. They were very helpful and a pleasure to work with.

I would be very careful to go in and misrepresent the car as never been previously registered. Very careful! As I said my previous title from CA said 2004 and my new title said 1965 spec con. Good luck.
Did mine today. Florida title was 2007 ASVE. Had a level 2 inspection and was issued an AZ vin. Now titled as 1965 Shelby spcon cobra. 5 year reg with tax was $70. Inspection + new vin was $25.

AZ Cobra Mike
Old 04-06-2016, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

" 5 year reg with tax was $70. Inspection + new vin was $25. "

HIGHWAY ROBBERY!!!
AZ Cobra Mike likes this.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mine was previously titled in CA as a year "0000". I had to get a Level 1 inspection to get a new title (they were confused, as was I, about the 0000 year) and my title now says 1965. They issued a new VIN and placed it next to the original VIN.
The Level 1 took about 15 minutes and most of that was him filling out the paperwork.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Glad to hear yours went well guys. I am not having such luck with my new Kirkham. Called DMV and they told me to take it in for a Level 1. When I got here they said it would need a Level 2, which they don't do on Friday. So now I have to get another 3-day permit and bring it back for that. Oh and to top it off the battery is not charging and is dead so I am sitting here waiting for the tow truck. Ughhhj
Old 05-06-2016, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 Roadster. New BBM Sideoiler Block, 484 cu. in. built by Valley Head & Racing Engines, Northridge CA. installed 3/20/2016
Not Ranked     

They gave you a 3 day permitt?? They wouldn't give me one because my Kirkham only has a 14 digit Vin.#. Said AZ. only recognizes 17 digit Vin.#'s. So I have to trailer mine to DMV.
I think I'll load the car, sell my house, and trailer my behind out of Arizona.

This place is a joke!! Should have never moved here!! Shoulda gone to TEXAS!!

Bruce Robles

Battery is dead? Should be charging at 14+ volts when driving. Check the wire connections on regulator from alternator, usual suspect. Also make sure the alternator is not grounding out on the cylinder head. You might need to re-clock the alternator to get the terminals away from the head.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Thx Bruce. Heres the saga - I called DMV and they said bring it in for a Level 1 inspection and then hey would issue a VIN and title/registration. Said it had to go to DMV for the inspection and title application and not one of the authorized 3rd party places (I called a few and they said the same thing). They also said I would need a 1-day permit in order to legally drive it down there and since it was a kit car (VIN not recognized in "the computer" I could not get that online. So my wife went in to get the permit for me bless her heart and they gave her a 3-day permit ("'65 Ford").

However when I got to the DMV in Scottsdale they said it had to have a level 2 ("we used to be able to do it with a level 1 but not anymore"). And they only do level 2 inspections Monday-Thursday. So all for naught.

I figured something was not right when I only had 11-12 volts with the engine running (and no movement of the voltage gauge between idle and higher RPM) but thought perhaps it was just because the battery was low. Voltage started to drop pretty quick though and was down to 8 volts by the time I got to the DMV (enough to run the ignition but not crank the starter).

I will check the connections and make sure nothing is touching the head (good point ther - it looks really close). Also I only have wires going to one terminal on the alternator - shouldn't all three terminals have connections?
Old 05-06-2016, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Correction I have 3 wires attached. Must be a loose connection or bad alternator or regulator.

Anyways hope your registration process works out. I am going to go back in a couple weeks after I fix the charging problem. Btw I used my 12 digit Kirkham chassis number to get my 3-day permit. But as noted had to go there in person.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 Roadster. New BBM Sideoiler Block, 484 cu. in. built by Valley Head & Racing Engines, Northridge CA. installed 3/20/2016
Not Ranked     

Mike,
Since I live out west of the 303, I went personally to the Buckeye DMV, and the same day I went to the Avondale office. I had my Kirkham "Certificte of Origin" and the Washington State title. Got turned down at both places for the temporary permit.
Maybe because the Scottsdale office deals with buyers of highend imported & exotic autos and collector cars, they have a clue about the fact that not all Vin#'s. are 17 digets. At the Buckeye office, the gal called a MVD supervisor somewhere to get direction about this, and was told 17 didgets only!!

I guess if you have an original 1965 427 Cobra with a Vin# CSX3XXX you'd be SOL getting a Temporaray 3 Day permit?

Hope you get the charging system figured out. If you figure out the alternator is putting out with a Voltmeter by testing the positive terminal to ground with the engine running, buy a new regulator at O'reilly (they are Cheap) and carry on.
If that is the problem, and you want to replace the O'Rielly regulator with a correct Autolite piece try RockAuto online or Mustangs Unlimited, a little more pricey.

Bruce
Old 05-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

I have a Contemporary built in 1987 in California. The Vin is CA388178 . Guess I got.lucky because no one said a word about the VIN.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."

Last edited by Danr55; 05-10-2016 at 01:29 PM..
Old 05-09-2016, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 396W Kirkham KMPS036
Not Ranked     

Registered mine (kmps036) two weeks ago. Before that Mesa issued a 30 day permit no guest ions asked. I did have to get a AZ Vin tag when I got the hard plates. Still in Tahiti so no driving for a while.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Shows to Goya, getting a title and registration in AZ is easy and painless if the recommendations given on this forum are followed. Regrettably, not every DMV office knows the proper procedure. Considering it is a government run agency, that's hardly surprising.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Hey guys, can we have a moment of silence for poor Grumpy.. Imagine that. Stuck in Tahiti and not being able to drive his cobra.. Pooooooor guy..

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 05-25-2016, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just a quick note to close the loop here on this thread. I completed the registration and title process today for my new Kirkham. Process was similar as to what has been described before however there are a few recent changes. Step one is a level 2 inspection not a level 1. You cannot make an appointment for this, it is first come first serve. You need to be at the DMV early. The inspection area opens at 7 o'clock, I was there at just after 6 o'clock and was the second person in line. Go directly to the inspection office and start the process there. After your inspection is complete, you will receive a new Arizona vehicle identification number, and then you need to go inside the main DMV office with your paperwork, and they will complete the title and registration process and hand you your plates. Do not go into the main office first - start with the inspection area. Throughout the process you want to refer to your car by the year of the vehicle it represents not the year you built it or that it was constructed. Your car will be titled and registered as a 1965 or 1966, special construction, cobra. As stated elsewhere, the level to inspection is $20 the new vehicle identification number is five dollars, and the registration in my case was $35.35 for two years.