Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Exactly Scotty. Which highway? I need preferences.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 07-02-2016, 09:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Itinerary

Here is what I've come up with for the trip.

THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 15: Phoenix to Santa Monica Thursday leave 0400 to arrive by 1100.

OVERNIGHT IN SANTA MONICA

Friday: Leave by 0900 and head north up US 1/HWY 101/PCH to Santa Barbara then Solvang. Spend the day in Solvang and stay Morro Bay for two nights.

Saturday: Leave by 0900 and head to San Simeon for a day of touristing. Return to Morro Bay for the night.

Sunday head north toward Big Sur and Carmel. Do the 17 mile loop to Point Lobo.

Sunday Night in Monterey.

Monday at the Monterey Aquarium. All day…

Monday night in Monterey.

Tuesday 9/20: head north toward Santa Cruz.

Drive thru the Redwoods and back to Santa Cruz for the night.

Wednesday 9/21: leave by 0900 and head up US 1 north along the coast and across the Golden Gate into Muir Wood and Muir Beach then off to Napa.

Spend the afternoon in Napa and overnight.

Thursday 9/22 leave by 0900 to Truckee/Tahoe

Friday /Saturday the Antique Boat Show at Tahoe.

Sunday 9/25 Head south along the east side of the Sierras. Route will depend on whether we want to go to Vegas and see the Shelby Museum or head for Palm Springs for the night before heading to Phoenix.

The return route needs to be decided. I would like to hit Vegas and see the shelby museum, but it's up to the majority. Vicki says she and Gary will be staying in Tahoe for a couple of extra days. The only things that are not negotiable are San Simeon and the Monterey Aquarium. Those have been bucket list items for me for years.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

Old 07-03-2016, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance#2352/Aluminum SO/490 c.i. 650 h.p. 605 tq.
Not Ranked     

Think I will hook up with you guys for some of this trip.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF5 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

A lot to see. How about one night in Morro Bay and then to Monterey for two nights. Gives a little more flexibility after Monterey. Is staying in Santa Monica for Hwy 1 thru Malibu, Topanga Canyon etc? Obviously you have been looking at mapquest. Gary and Vikki
Old 07-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Staying in Santa Monica is to use it for a jumping off point to drive PCH through Malibu and up through Mugu Rock. I've promised Adriana to show her the pass through Mugu Rock.

The reason I opted for two nights in Morro Bay is because it's convenient for Solvang and for San Simeon. It's about 4 hours to Monterey along the coast route and you miss a lot of Big Sur and Carmel if you drive it after dark. After spending an entire day exploring San Simeon, it might be a haul. Besides I want to stop and have a cocktail with Clint in Carmel.

Varmint, You're welcome to come for part of it or all of it.. Just give us a heads up so we know where to look for you..

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

Last edited by Danr55; 07-03-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Old 07-03-2016, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is he still tending bar in Carmel? Just getting a better idea on tourist stuff. Monterey and Carmel are close. Solvang does not seem to be a destination point for others I have spoken with. Just do not want to stray to far from the coast road. Can't do everything unfortunately IMO. We need to have other people chime in so we can have total confusion. The idea of having motel stops and whoever is on the trip agree with others on how to get to the next stop. That is consensus talking here. How bad is 1 at Malibu going to be. Wait till 9 for traffic I presume. Is Topanga Canyon the same as what you were talking about? I know there is one worth driving. Do not know which one.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The idea of taking Topanga Canyon was a bypass to LA. That may or may not be necessry.

Solvang may be on the hanger depending on the results of the fire along Chumash Hwy. We'll see when we get a bit closer. Chumash Hwy. out of Santa Barbara is a beautiful drive with big trees and lots of twistys. We'll see when the fire clears. Should know by the end of the week.

The reason for leaving by 0900 is because this is a vacation. I'm always up by 0500 but not sure about other people. Beside, most of the touristy stuff doesn't open until 9 or 10.

**Just looked at some photos. Chumash Hwy is not worth the drive now. Most everything in Refugio Canyon has burned to a crisp, so Solvang becomes optional. If no one wants to go, we can pass on Solvang. I need to hear some input. **

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

Last edited by Danr55; 07-03-2016 at 12:10 PM..
Old 07-03-2016, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFMK2
Not Ranked     

We are in for the trip we will follow the majority........Don't want to add to any Drama.......just drive ,spend money ,and buy useless **** ,that can't fit in a jam packed car....
Old 07-03-2016, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What a shame on the fires. It will not be back in our life time unfortunately. I 'm up at sunrise regardless, Al probably is also. Whatever the majority wants to do. The sticky buns in Solvang make it temping though.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3/302/570 street avenger
Not Ranked     

I am proposing a Rebel Run to coincide with the main run up the coast. It will be less than 10 days. A few of the guys said 10 days is too long for them. If you guys publish the main run's stops, showing hotels / motels, we, if anyone else wants to join me, will hook up with you along the way. I think traveling in smaller groups will be easier than one big one. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Will the Rebel run start on Friday?
If so I may join in for a few days.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Oh Scottie, SOMEONE's gonna call you a "Run Buster".

I'd prefer a Thursday lift off, thinking there should be less traffic than on a Friday, let's get the hell out of town, day. Could be wrong, don't know.

I have no problem with a ten day trip. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has passed down papal dispensation, so I'm allowed.

I was at the aquarium, 16 months ago, and it was well worth the time, but 3-4 hours is more than plenty, for me. I'm hoping to stay along the coast as much as practical. The ocean scares the crap out of me, but I'm fascinated by it, and we're a bit short on oceans, here (at least until Kalifornia drops off into the ocean).

I, too like the idea of daily "terminals" where we can all hook up, in the evenings. Those that want to spend more time, where ever, or those that want to see scenery or tourist attractions, or shop, or driving, can do so. My 3 1/2¢ worth.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

From my 10 years of travel on Super Cruzes (2003 to 2013, missed 1 year,) You will enjoy the stops more than the drive. You will enjoy the evening get together the most. Good memories spring from personal interaction. There will be unavoidable, not so fond memories you cannot plan for during travel. They just become more memories. Enjoy the trip. Anticipation is fun. I drove the cobra entirely on 7 of the 10 week plus trips. Earned my Iron Butt trophy. I will say 10 days is a long time. Be reasonable in daily travel. Unless you are just going A to B limit daily travel to about 300 miles. You will then have leisure time for meals, fuel, rest, tourist & photo stops and still have time for evening social. All participants had Midland or Motorola 2-way radios for communications needed for trouble, emergency rest stops, directions, etc. Like these: http://tinyurl.com/zmpeukz No one spent over $100. Communication is good for about 3 miles, don't believe the claims.
Have an adventure!
AZ Bob

Last edited by Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB; 07-04-2016 at 10:47 AM..
Old 07-04-2016, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys, The purpose of this trip, for Adriana and me, is to see sights that she's not seen. The thought of inviting you all along was an after thought. You are more than welcone and we'd love to have you but this is her trip. If you want to short cut it, have at it. You'll not hurt anyone's feelings. We are pretty much following the schedule laid out. Some of this stuff is bucket list stuff. Some of it I've seen but she has not. So what ever you want to do is OK.. Join us or go your own way. n The trip is the primary adventure. The Cobra is just the mode of transport we've chosen.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

Old 07-04-2016, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danr55 View Post
Some of us were sitting around talking and we thought that a group trip would be fun.
Quote:
Guys, The purpose of this trip, for Adriana and me, is to see sights that she's not seen. The thought of inviting you all along was an after thought.

Wow, Is it just me or did things change from the start of this post.
No more Furds.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

"Wow, Is it just me or did things change from the start of this post."

YEP

Oh Cisco, Oh Pauncho.

Last edited by Karl Bebout; 07-04-2016 at 06:20 PM..
Old 07-04-2016, 09:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK. There were not a group of us sitting around talking. I came up with this on my own three years ago and it's been on my bucket list ever since. Better?

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

Old 07-04-2016, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
OK. There were not a group of us sitting around talking. I came up with this on my own three years ago and it's been on my bucket list ever since. Better?
That does explain your actions.
There for a moment I thought this was a dictatorship.
No more Furds.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not really! Each night destination is probably best as Bob and Karl eluded Different daily agenda and hook up in evening. Keep it simple and usually works well. Gary
Old 07-05-2016, 06:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good idea Gary.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209