LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2019, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Challenge Car, RDI aluminum 427w
Not Ranked     

Karl,

I'm jealous, good show, enjoy the ride.

Having done multiple cross country and north south drives I can appreciate the excitement and challenges of the road.

Travelling in a Cobra is about as close to being a cowboy as you can get.

Jim
SPF 1855, 2584, FFR 8885
Old 08-24-2019, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 302 cu 290 hp
Not Ranked     

Karl, if you get to Boise, stop in. We just moved to Boise a month ago. Safe travels!
Old 08-24-2019, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Had a great ride today from Bhul, ID ( 13 miles SW of Twin Falls) to Missoula, MT. Not a freeway taken. Started on 93, then jogged off to 75 to go through Sun Valley and the Saw Tooth Rec. Area. Crossed over 8700' Galena Summit. Fabulous scenery, some fun twisties and lots of sweeping high speed turns. Got stuck behind about 20 women riding Hogs that had no concept about the few passing lanes or slower traffic to the right. They were taking the 20 MPH signed curves at 20, if not slower. Finally got to a long uphill grade where the slow lane was separated by plastic poles, about 30' apart. Would they get into the slow lane? Noooo. I finally went over there and passed the bunch. They were spread out just enough that I couldn't pick them off one of two at a time.argh! I'm all for people enjoying the road but geez, get a clue.
Enough ranting. The weather was great, sunny in the upper 80°s and hard to find a nicer day to rack up another 450 miles. Kalispell and Whitefish tomorrow. Happy times��
Old 08-27-2019, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Made it to Banff and now understand the hubbub. Totally gorgeous scenery! Been somewhat disappointed, though. Saw the speed limit signs saying 100 or 110 Maximum. Thought, just my kinda place! Sneaky buggars mean KPH...and people seem to believe them! It's SO hard to go 62mph on a long, straight, road where you can see for miles, er kilometers. Headed south tomorrow to go along the border on two lane rt 3, clear over to Vancouver. Should take at least a couple days. I'm easily distracted...Got sidetracked to "Hungry House Dam" a couple days ago. With a name like that...Had to do it.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1983, 427W, IRS, Wilwood brakes
Not Ranked     

Beautiful country! I used to summer at my uncle's ranch in Stanley backed up by the Sawtooth Range. Should be great country for a Cobra!
Old 08-28-2019, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Stayed in Golden, BC last night. 150+- miles from Banff. Except for some $60/night hostels, everything was too close to $300/night in Banff. I'm not worth it. Drove to Twin Forks, close to the U.S. Border today. 304 miles of spectacular scenery. Had just enough sprinkles to nasty up the car. Canada doesn't charge for inter-contenental ferry rides so I got one of those which broke up the drive. Met a bike rider and a truck driver, in the ferry, that had great stories about BC. Still ��
Old 08-29-2019, 02:11 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Karl we're ready for you Sat. (God Forbid) We put the Long Rifles away.You will find out, what a PNW Club Cobra welcome is all about We even have a car show ready for your visit Cheers from Mr. Rot. As I said Mike will catch up with you.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My Garmin "misread" my intentions so routed me down into Washington, from Grand Forks, BC so I headed north back up to Vancouver. 350 miles of smiles. Just So much beautiful scenery. Heavy traffic in Vancouver but fortunately, much worse south bound. I have a B&B in N. Vancouver that has a nice view of lots of tankers sitting in the bay. Heading for the island tomorrow and then down to Bellingham, I guess, for the car show, Saturday. Hoping Tommyrot brings his waxing stuff since my car is looking a bit road weary. I have murdered lots of bugs!
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Be safe Karl and have fun! Wish I was up there driving the Kirkham instead of sitting here in the airport in Shanghai!

Mike
Old 09-01-2019, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greetings from the Great Northwest. Cobra guy, Mike Connors( no, not Mannix) has extended his beautiful house to me and I've stayed with him, and Kathy, two nights. The best hosts a guy could have! We went to a very nice car show at the Bremerton air port yesterday and after a couple demoralizing showers, the day turned beautiful and 75° and sunny. Met more of the gang and was put totally at ease. Try as I might though, the infamous Tommy-Rot sniffed me out so now, we've finally met. Got to see his newest acquisition, a beautiful red slab side, sure wheels, rear exhaust, and all. Breakfast calls then, I'll hit the Southbound road for miles of smiles.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Red car? Red car? What about the green car that we've heard so much about for so long? Where was it or is it just a figment of his imagination? are they telling us all a story like we suspected for so long?
Alfa02 likes this.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 09-01-2019, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The red car joins his stable, probably because he knows the one with the FE won't keep running long. Danr can attest to that situation...
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After about 90 minutes of driving through most and fog, the sun burned through and the rest of the day was beautiful. Holiday traffic was heavy in some areas but I managed to do about 320 miles to Coos Bay, OR. There are huge piles of wood chips, probably waiting to go to China. My sleezy motel is within a mile so the wind has deposited saw dust over the car. Oh well, it was plenty dirty from yesterday's drive in the rain. Hoping the Great weather continues. Makes for much more fun driving.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:14 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Well AZ. Boy's, we were all concerned about letting the famous Mr. Karlos Bebout down, in fact so much so, some didn't show up, rather then let him, and our other PNW members down Need less to Say surprise, surprise Mr. Bebout, was on what I assume was his (Best Behavior). But we put our best foot forward, and 7 of us, met and so enjoy this Gentleman's Company. Alright, Danr I can't tell you the whole story here, about how I ended up with new my Slabside, but it's a story not even Hollywood could write. Got a Slabside, Girlfriend and a Dog all wrap up into one Only one cost me money right off the bat the other ones I'm sure later Also Danr, the Green one is still not quite finished (Front Bumpers, Brake Ducts) . besides these two Cobras are so far off each edge of the spectrum (Red Slabside) for taking your best girl on a Picnic. (Green 427) for dusting off everything on the road, and scaring the local's I like them both, who ever said you can never have too many Cobras. Karlos My friend have a safe drive the rest the trip. Cheers Mr. Rot. More of the story & (pictures) to come.

Last edited by Alfa02; 09-02-2019 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: added a word
Old 09-02-2019, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Karl - sounds like a great trip that everyone should do at least once. I'm following it daily. Good luck for the rest of the trip back to AZ.

Tom - you know what they say...."No pictures? Didn't happen". Maybe it's just a 1/18 scale model of a red 289 roadster ?
Borrow a camera, and show us the pictures !!

Cheers!
Glen
Old 09-03-2019, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

EUREKA! Another 235 miles. Took a couple side trips on purported "scenic" trails. One turned into dirt after about 10 miles. Oh well, the car was dirty from previous rainy driving. Had some heavy fog, to the point of not being able to see the surf, but was beautifully clear for the most part. BTW...lovin gas prices in CA...��
Old 09-04-2019, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The fog was fairly heavy this morning but since the breakfast room was packed, I washed the car while I waited for my grocery store bagel. It looked good for a while but by the time I got down to hwy 1, patches of fog were so heavy the it was condensing on the car. I cut off Hwy 1 into 128 and went inland. Was miles of grapes and lots of tasting rooms. Caught a road West back towards the Coast and that 40+ miles took me more than 2 hours. Uber twisty, narrow, very rough pavement and a true joy. Surprised nothing fell off the car from all the bumpiness and bottoming out, several times. Even had a couple down grades with 16%, yes, 16% grades. Wow! Finally got back to Hwy 1 and finally remembered why Scottie and I were so tired out by the time we got to Ft. Bragg, a couple years ago. We'd been Nirthbound, but the super tight curves are still there.
Going to fight my way through SF tomorrow. Oh Boy!
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

16%? Wow! That IS steep!
Karl, when you arrive back home, please, please, post some pictures you (surely?) took on the trip. Looking forward to some vision as well as the words.

Enjoy the rest of the trip.

Cheers!!
Glen
Old 09-05-2019, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Easy day, today, after getting through San Francisco. I went through between 10:30 and noon and really didn't get horribly bogged down. There was construction on th Golden Gate and I guess the state thought they were taking in enough gas tax, that I didn't have to pay the toll. Seems to me that it was a one way toll anyway. Free to leave but cost to come in. I've been giving CA plenty in their .40+ tax with even sales tax on top of that. Just another of the many reasons I certainly don't want to live here. Stopped after about 130 miles, in Santa Cruz. I decided I needed my fix of Lillian's pasta with "Sunday Gravy". Hands down the best marinara of my life. Hope it's still that way to me and that my memory hasn't built it up in the 4 years since I had it. Today's weather was perfect. Hoping for more of the same tomorrow when I attack the Big Sur section of Hwy 1. Another day or two and I'll head across the desert for home. I've pretty much seen everything I wanted to see.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

311 today. Took 4.5 hours to go the 163 miles from Santa Cruz to Morrow Bay. Lots of construction on Hwy 1 but it was still a gorgeous drive, MoFo MoHo z and all. Had an excellent lunch at the French Pastry/Bakery in Morro Bay and then decided to head East. Pulled up in beautious Bakersfield and should make the homestead early tomorrow afternoon. I'll try for a 4am departure and to miss lots of the high temps. It's been a GREAT TRIP but now I feel like an old house with his head pointed towards the barn.