LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2020, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by desgros@vtlink. View Post
Didn't Shelby first talk with Chevy wanting to use their SB but was turned down and then went with Ford.

John
ERA #3010 Slabside 289 SB BRG
Yes he did go to GM first but was turned down because of his prior
involvement with the Scaglietti Corvette and the fact he said the
Cobra would humiliate the then new C2 Corvette.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
I never ever said a CSX came with a Chevy! I said AC Cars Ltd. made at least two Cobras with Chevy engines as stated in a few different books by Brian Leban , Ian Stent , David Fetherston, Jim Youngs, Steve Temple and as told to me by a Shelby mechanic who later went on to make replicas. And although I cannot seem to get any pics to transfer on here I have text you just one article about Chevy in an AC and about the New AC Cars Ltd (what ever that is ) and how they use the Chevy LS engine. Again you have been weighed, you have been measured and you have been found wanting!
Ok I'm a bit skeptical here. Shelby American registered the trade mark name "Cobra." AC Cars never owned the trade mark "Cobra." Ford later purchased the "Cobra" trade mark name and used it for many years in various ways.

AC Cars Ltd. after being bankrupt and sold made some cars after the originals were made, but just how could they have used the trade marked name "Cobra?" Even if they did stick a Chevy or any other engine in them they are not a "Cobra." In my mind you can authentically call them an AC, but unless Shelby American or Ford authorized AC to call the car a Cobra, it is not a Cobra. So in my opinion this whole Chevy engine in a Cobra claim is just a big fuss about nothing important.
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Like I always say AC Cars Ltd. Back in the 60's while they made the frames ,suspension, bodies and finished car except for engine and transmission to Shelby they also made the AC 289 and at least two of the cars were sold with Chevy engines from the factory, FACT! AC Cars got engines from Ford but was under no contractual obligation to them so they were flexible on what a customer wanted and would pay for!
Interesting. I also thought you were referring to Shelby Cobras.

Last edited by MKS427; 09-30-2020 at 05:19 AM..
Old 10-04-2020, 05:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Here is what Tom sent.
Very Adamant about his Chevy
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2020, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
Here is what Tom sent.
Very Adamant about his Chevy
Thanks Jeff. I don't know what's up with my computer but all I see are x's for the pictures? But I will find more from the books by Brian Laban and others but my whole library got packed up in bins and scattered to the four corners of my house( closet's, basement, area over the garage and attic) by my wife when our spare room was transformed into a nursery for our daughter Reagan!
Old 10-07-2020, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

And LONG LIVE THE CHEVY IN AN AC!!!
Old 10-07-2020, 09:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Expanding on old dog’s topic:
In the 80’s Ford did allow the “Cobra” name to be used on the MKIV outside of the USA.
So there are AC Cobras in the 80’s but after that none that I know of. So of the ~450 made only 183 came to USA, thus ~267 Cobras from Angliss era.
Again in the US, Ford later used "Cobra" on Mustang so all US models from UK are "AC MKIV" and all 183 considered a variant of the Cobra however not a Cobra at all.
Once AC and Ford split early circa 1990 AC was no longer viable as cash flow ceased then the end was near, the light rapidly approaching.
For the record no AC from the Angliss days were given anything but a Ford plant. The figures I have show 46 were sold minus motor and out of those 46, 24, were reported back as Ford motors. So there were 22 that never reported back thus someone may have committed a sin.

olddog likes this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 10-07-2020 at 11:18 AM..
Old 10-07-2020, 11:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Think this was some cool lit!
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2020, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So you guy's are fine with a Ford Cobra II based on a Ford Pinto being called a Cobra but have a problem with a AC Cars Ltd. COB/COX car being called a Cobra?
Old 10-08-2020, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So you guy's are fine with a Ford Cobra II based on a Ford Pinto being called a Cobra but have a problem with a AC Cars Ltd. COB/COX car being called a Cobra?
It suck's that Shelby sold the Cobra trademark to Ford, and Ford saw fit to use it on the Cobra II. But Ford owns it and can do as they want with their intellectual property. What is not OK is for China to use Cobra on a car that they build to look like an original. Nor would it be OK if Chrysler built a lookalike with a Hemi and called it a Cobra.

AC built cars minus the power train and sold to Shelby. Shelby named the car and trademarked the name. AC Cars Ltd was nothing more than a subcontractor with a legal agreement to build the car. AC Cars Ltd has no right to the trademark unless licensed by the owner of that trademark.

Mitsubishi manufactured the Dodge Challenger in 1980, for Chrysler. Mitsubishi has no right to produce a car and name it Dodge Challenger. Same thing with Mazda making the Ford Ranger truck.

Personally, as far as I am concerned, the present owner of AC Cars Ltd doesn't even have a legitimate claim that what he builds today has anything to do with the original Shelby Cobra. He is building replica (Kit Cars) like everyone else. I hold Kirkham in much higher regard than AC. For that matter ERA, Superformance, Shelby, and a few others would all be higher on my list.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
If Farrah sits on the hood, you can call it whatever you want and I'm Ok with it!!

Larry

1985 CCX likes this.
Old 10-08-2020, 01:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
If Farrah sits on the hood, you can call it whatever you want and I'm Ok with it!!

Larry

In this case its A-Ok
Old 10-08-2020, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
It suck's that Shelby sold the Cobra trademark to Ford, and Ford saw fit to use it on the Cobra II. But Ford owns it and can do as they want with their intellectual property. What is not OK is for China to use Cobra on a car that they build to look like an original. Nor would it be OK if Chrysler built a lookalike with a Hemi and called it a Cobra.

AC built cars minus the power train and sold to Shelby. Shelby named the car and trademarked the name. AC Cars Ltd was nothing more than a subcontractor with a legal agreement to build the car. AC Cars Ltd has no right to the trademark unless licensed by the owner of that trademark.

Mitsubishi manufactured the Dodge Challenger in 1980, for Chrysler. Mitsubishi has no right to produce a car and name it Dodge Challenger. Same thing with Mazda making the Ford Ranger truck.

Personally, as far as I am concerned, the present owner of AC Cars Ltd doesn't even have a legitimate claim that what he builds today has anything to do with the original Shelby Cobra. He is building replica (Kit Cars) like everyone else. I hold Kirkham in much higher regard than AC. For that matter ERA, Superformance, Shelby, and a few others would all be higher on my list.
From what I have read is that AC Cars Ltd. supplied CSX cars to Shelby to be Cobras for North America sales . AC maintained the rights and design of the same car for European and the rest of the world. TomAtoe- Tomatoe Shelby is the registered builder of the car North America and held the trademark on the name COBRA. AC Cars Ltd . design and rights for the rest of the world. The new owners of AC Cars Ltd. is like I told Jeff, he bought a Mini Cooper. Ok did he buy a Mini or just a replica built by BMW? Or Indian Motorcycle if today you buy one are you buying an Indian mc or just some kind of ripoff fake? A Shelby today is a real Shelby but the company that built the Cobra went out business for almost a decade and came back hot rodding four banger Omni's for Chrysler and today not a single person, not a single building, not so much as a screwdriver is from Shelby American that built a car that was made by AC, powered by FORD and built it into the worlds greatest , world beating, world champion Shelby COBRA! And the only car Shelby ever actually made completely on his own was the Series 1 and that he powered with a GM Oldsmobile, Chevy in a Cobra?????
marklotus likes this.

Last edited by Thor maine; 10-11-2020 at 09:18 AM..
Old 10-09-2020, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

This is great. Now I would have no prob about running a LS7 in my Classic Roadster. The kits factory side emblem with a cobra and 427 is the correct engine size and a GM small block is factory correct motor. Now it’s a fake “AC Cobra”. Life’s an illusion, look over here. Gotta love it
Old 10-09-2020, 12:36 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post

Mazda made the "Courier" truck for Ford, not the Ranger. And later Ford made a Ranger variant for Mazda called the "B" series. What goes around, comes around.....

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 10-17-2020, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I thought this post would get more play?
Old 10-18-2020, 07:55 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post

Larry

Why is it that they have actresses sitting on cars anyway? How are you supposed to see the car?

Old 10-18-2020, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Fake tan, fake teeth and maybe fake boobs to match the fake hood scoop and fake front spoiler!
Probably a fake smile too. I doubt whether Farrah was really that happy to be perched on the hood of a tarted-up Pinto.

EDIT: I don't mean to be mean to Farrah - she was a genuine beauty. Just poking fun at the fakeness of the "Cobra II"

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 10-18-2020 at 08:23 AM..
Old 10-18-2020, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0/Supercharged
Not Ranked     

Interesting that Farrah is in this whole thing! At the time when she was at her "hottest" she was married to Lee Majors. I lived in the Ontario area and as a field e I would stop at different restaurants between there and LA. Kept hearing about "dueling mates" as they were cheating on each other in that area and picking up "one-night-stands". Never got to see either one- but at the end of the day- hey both turned out to be just superficial beauties- no real capability. Kind of like the Mustang II!

Thom
Old 10-18-2020, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Fake tan, fake teeth and maybe fake boobs to match the fake hood scoop and fake front spoiler!
Probably a fake smile too. I doubt whether Farrah was really that happy to be perched on the hood of a tarted-up Pinto.

EDIT: I don't mean to be mean to Farrah - she was a genuine beauty. Just poking fun at the fakeness of the "Cobra II"
Be honest, 40+ years ago, if you got an offer to take either home, you'd...
Gaz64 likes this.

Last edited by MKS427; 10-18-2020 at 07:09 PM..