LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2003, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: none
Not Ranked     
Cool Sumer Fun

Well here is a Cobra up-date!
The motor is still in pieces after the push rod broke, then the intake valve push rod bent. I am glad that the car is not running because it is to darn HOT to drive!! You see this is my first summer having the Cobra, and I had visions of driving every day, thinking that the heat's not that bad, boy was I off base. I decided to do the little things that make a car. I finished off the trunk with carpet, and painted over the overspray from when I did the paint. I also put screen in the oil cooler vent in the front of the car, hopefully it will save on rock damage? I also got an itch, speaking of rocks, and repainted the front of the car from the damage from Route 66. (The stickers were getting old) I had to custome order the push rods for the geometry of the valve train, and it will be several weeks before Crane can deliver. So it looks like I am going to put the Aluminum shroud in the nose while it sits there. Hopefully I will get a chance to drive her again in the middle of August, when it cools down!

To all those gear heads stuck in the garage!

Brian
Old 07-28-2003, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cools down - middle of August !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an optimist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John PS. Hoping to see you on the road soon.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Brian...Brian...Brian....

I do not know what you mean hot? I've had my car out for 20 of the past 34 days that we were over 100 including the day we hit 117....

Now get that thing fixed and on the road.... As far as John, well he can't drive it as his son has the car and probably will not return it......

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 07-29-2003, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK Mikiec,
we have no car shows, it's to hot to go out side, and go for a ride (trust me, Jim B took me for a ride and I thought I sat in the engine compartment) So............... We need some excitement in the Arizona club area!! any thoughts? new threads.......... trivia??
Keep it above 100..........
L8R,
Brian
Old 07-29-2003, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Mikiec, that's a good question. What do you have on the agenda for the next few months. When is the Laughlin Club Sandwich ? Is the first weekend in Dec. still looking good for our 3rd Anniversary Party ? By the way, my son will hand the keys of the Cobra over to my son-in-law next week. The car will move from Michigan to Kentucky and I'll have it back here in early Sept. John
Old 07-29-2003, 10:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

John and all....

I'll have an email and posting soon...

We have some ideas that need to be finalized. A BBQ with the Arizona Kit Car Club, A poker run, Club Sandwhich, Las Vegas for the FFR guys and gals, The anniversary party will be Dec 6th.

Some morning breeakfast runs... Just waiting for it to cool off some for the rest of you...

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 07-30-2003, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Mikie, My place in Heber is always open for a Barbie. Maybe in conjunction with Run to the Pines...maybe not.
Jim
Old 08-24-2003, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brian, One of the guys down here has a Lone Star and he has had over-heating problems forever. During the summer he's limited to driving in the morning only. Did you put a shroud in the nose? Did it work ? What thermostat are you using ? If the shroud is working did you happen to make a template so that others could make one ? Thank, John
Old 08-24-2003, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Make sure to use chrome moly push rods.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking GOT GAS?

Hey Guy's

John, yes I did a "one off" Shroud in the nose of the car. WHAT A DIFFERENCE it made. I started to make the shroud in two pieces, and quickly had to trash that idea. With that said my plans went astray, and no templates were made. I am running a Pusher, and puller fan from BeCool, it's thier 17, or 16 inch fan, and they ROCK. It blast air out my side luvers when the car is standing still. I have a high flow thermostat and it ia 180 with a 1/8 hole drilled into it to get the air out. The car runs cool, about 180-190 on the freeway, and 198-200 at the stop lights (not over 210) BUT, I think that I will go to a 190 deg Thermostat because in the winter it will never heat up at 180. I also had comments that my shroud does not let the air through the sides to allow the air at high speeds to escape. I have not seen a problem with this so far

Hey Cowtown,
I used Comp Hitec one piece pushrods, custom length, and 3/8 size. I had 5/16 two piece push rods in the car, but they were weak. When I built the motor the thought process was to go light on the valvetrain for the 7K pulls on the Big Block. This also did not go to plans, and I bent them doing a carb adjustment run. What actually happened is that the carbide tip broke off of the exhaust pushrod, and started all kinds of issues. The bigger pushrods were not much heavier, and twice as strong as the ones that I bent.
Keep it above 100...................
L8R,
Brian
Old 08-26-2003, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Brian for the info. I will copy this and give it to Paul. I spoke with him last night and he gave up driving the Cobra during the summer because of the overheating while driving around Tucson. John