LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed427
Vettestr: REAL means original to you. REAL means Shelby to me and SAAC.
Here we go again....BigRed427, go search the thousands of threads dealing with the real/replica/continuation issue and bang on your cowbell in there, start another thread on the topic if that makes you happy or make contact with Evan aka REAL 1 and drink your kool aid with him.

Read the thread title again, ORIGINAL, as in a CSX 2 or 3 version automobile built and raced in the 60's, that is what people are asking about, and how do you explain to folks its not, unless you are one of the lucky ones owning a 2 or 3 series car!!

The question is not whether or not you have a SAI continuation series.

Please don't start that real one crap all over again. Most of us who have been in here a while are way burned out on that never ending constantly revolving topic.

Let this thread continue in relative peace, its been fairly interesting, let it stay that way.

Last edited by lineslinger; 10-09-2007 at 11:42 AM..
Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

LINESLINGER,

I am hoping that's a bullwhip, and not a fishing rod...LOLOLOLOL.....time to give a spanking I think?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Is it real??? I knock on it and pat it ..... "Feels real to me!!!"
Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

Is it Real... "Ya, its real fast"

Reminds me of a when my grandfather asked a guy with a high performance custom pick-up truck. "You haul stuff with this thing?" He replied "Yup, I haul ass."

I had to hold back the laugh!!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Joey Manufacturing Inc.
Send a message via Yahoo to joey_hv
Not Ranked     

I wonder if I can get away with saying, "it's a scratchbuilt" ?
"Me fodder was King Neptune, me mudder was a mermaid. I was born on the crest of a wave and rocked in the cradle of the deep. Me hair is like hemp, me arms are like spars. When I spits, I spits tar. I'm hard, I am, I is, I are. "
Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBattaglia
Is it Real... "Ya, its real fast"

Reminds me of a when my grandfather asked a guy with a high performance custom pick-up truck. "You haul stuff with this thing?" He replied "Yup, I haul ass."

I had to hold back the laugh!!

I like that answer the best so far!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm dealing with this topic now - and my car isn't even here yet (should be home in 2 weeks though).

I called the Highway Patrol to schedule my inspection for my new SPF. And the officer asked "Is it real?" In his mind - does it have a VIN number - hence the need for the HP special inspection. Anyway, I said, "No, it's a replica." He said, "Oh, it's a kit car".

I replied, "No, it's a fully manufactured car, bought brand new like any other car, just without an engine and transmission. It has an MSO, and a chassis number, but no VIN number. He said - YEP IT'S A KIT CAR!

I didn't want to argue the point further - since he ultimately is in control of how soon I will be able to drive this car on the street. So in his mind, "real" cars have VIN numbers - cars that have no VIN numbers are kit cars.

So, does a continuation Shelby have a VIN number? or just a chassis number? I really don't know - someone tell me. In the minds of the Missouri State Highway Patrol - NO VIN = Kit Car ... go figure. Just another interesting facet to the age old question of "is it real?".
Old 10-10-2007, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/SBC/Jag
Not Ranked     

I think it's more a case of 'car that you have to ad an engine and transmission to in order to complete = kit car' to them. The registration process is the same to them.

We come into this world naked, screaming, and covered in blood. With dedication and a little planning, you can go out the same way.

View my overflow Gallery (much more to come !)
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4795 (Sold)
Not Ranked     
Arrow Vin number? = CSX4795

My Vin number is:

That's the number on my pink slip & registration, & same as my license plate.

jdog
Old 10-10-2007, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

"Would you know the difference?"

Thats my favorite...or my next one for the smart punk is,

"would it matter, you obviously don't know the difference."
Old 10-10-2007, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Dickey
When asked if it's "real" or "original", I just politely respond, "Nah, but I'm flattered you had to ask."
Russ, I think you hit the perfect answer !!! Can I steal your answer?
Sure you can steal it. I have found that this response often leads to much more friendly interaction with the onlookers. When I first got the car, I tried using many of the other responses that I've seen in this thread, but they just made me sound like I was being defensive over my car being a replica. Which couldn't be farther from the truth. I love my car and I am proud of it, even if it isn't the genuine article.

Would I own and drive an original if I could afford one? Absoultely. But I can't. And neither can 99.9% of the people who come up and ask me if it's real, so no sense coming off like a jerk.

I recently had a guy at a cruise night crawling all over it, under it, looking deep down into the engine compartment, and in general inspecting the car like I had a bomb hidden in it or something. I was just sitting behind the car in my little fold up chair watching him in amazement. He finally stood up, felt underneath the fender lip, and said "I guess it ain't real." I smiled and responded, "Nope, it's a replica. Just like the big show placard on the windshield says it is..."

I think the only time I get miffed anymore is when somebody knocks on the body. That level of disrespect still raises my blood pressure.

Last edited by Russ Dickey; 10-10-2007 at 12:28 PM..
Old 10-10-2007, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Real: Southern Roadcraft, SRV8, 351W stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Dickey
I think the only time I get miffed anymore is when somebody knocks on the body. That level of disrespect still raises my blood pressure.
I've had some turkeys knock so hard on the guard that if it was real they would have dented it
VK3KDN

Old 10-10-2007, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK1
Not Ranked     

I haven't had anyone touch the car, yet, but I'm sure I will.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK1
Not Ranked     

I always woory about belt buckles and zippers on jackets. I was watching the inspector at the DMV with his clipboard, hoping he would be smart enough to not set it on the car...

It's kind of weird how a car really is just an appliance to some people, even if it is the sexiest car on the road and costs more than a house.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkII/ Powerdyne supercharged 5Litre w/1.72 FMS rollers/ Crane high perf springs., otherwise stock.
Not Ranked     

Here in the South, men tend to spit out the words "kit car" like a chaw of chewin tabaccy...."Zat un o thos KITTTT KAAARS"?
Here , you have a choice...Respond by saying "No, it's a Replica" (That will appeal to the intellectuals among them)...
Respond by saying "Yes, if you can call a 150 mile per hour , masterpiece of the open road, a kit car" (This appeals to the dirt-track crowd)
Or , finally, by saying " Not in the Paint-by-Numbers" sense of the word."
(This will leave them completely puzzled)
Old 10-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     

Tojiero would be "tohyearo" with the "r" almost being a "d". Gotta speak the Texican down here....

If I know it's going to be a 4 second conversation with an obvious unknowledgable asker, I just tell them it's a real 1965. They don't know the difference and they can tell their buds they saw a Shelby Cobra.

If it's any longer of a conversation, I'll say it's a factory built replica, delivered complete, minus motor and transmission. A visually perfect replica that uses more updated parts and suspension.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aurora
Not Ranked     
Talking Different Tact

....Me and a buddy were at a shopping Mall car show 2 years ago when we spotted the typical cobra car-show guy sitting smuggly behind his homemade plastic fantastic and we decided to have a little fun.....speaking loudly to my buddy (now on the opposite side of the car) Hey Jon, is this an MG or Austin Healy??? what kinda car is this...My buddy replied loud enough for the owner to hear "I read all about this car if I remember right, this is that car built back in the 70's when Ford contracted with that lady named....Carrol somebody.. she was supposed to build a race car by using a Ford parts from a Mustang or Pinto or something and a couple a' Jaguar Parts like the gas tank and front suspension. It was a real screamer, they even put the Ford 327 in it with 3 stromboli carburators! Wow! I sure would like to meet her! By this time I glanced back at the guy who was trying to get up from his fold up chair while holding his hands over his ears.

While my wife was sitting in the cobra at Autozone, a man came up saying I have never before seen a real one of these!!! My wife replyed "still haven't"
Old 10-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

LOL 62! THAT is some funny stuff!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

That IS pretty funny.

Did the owner survive his heart attack?

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 10-10-2007, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     

Love this thread...and some handsome answers!! I sort of follow Madmiles way...along with a few others.........
If asked......"is it real or a kit" (they never say replica)...I just tell them, "no, it isn't an original, but it IS professionally built with all new parts...and is considered a 'replica' of the 427 Cobra! If they still seem interested, and they always do, I further explain by saying that these 'replicas' are actually BETTER than originals in the mechanical sense....motors, suspension, tires, etc! But, and this is pretty important to me and most of you , I would bet..................they ABSOLUTELY NEVER EVER leave without saying ..."well, that is one beautiful car, man, and I wish I could afford it"!
I used to feel concerned, but pretty much realized......like Dickey said.....the fact that they keep asking about it...and still ask if it is the fastest car on the road still........just makes having one......GREAT!
flame on...................
fred z
Old 10-10-2007, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Mark
I like that answer the best so far!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm dealing with this topic now - and my car isn't even here yet (should be home in 2 weeks though).

I called the Highway Patrol to schedule my inspection for my new SPF. And the officer asked "Is it real?" In his mind - does it have a VIN number - hence the need for the HP special inspection. Anyway, I said, "No, it's a replica." He said, "Oh, it's a kit car".

I replied, "No, it's a fully manufactured car, bought brand new like any other car, just without an engine and transmission. It has an MSO, and a chassis number, but no VIN number. He said - YEP IT'S A KIT CAR!

I didn't want to argue the point further - since he ultimately is in control of how soon I will be able to drive this car on the street. So in his mind, "real" cars have VIN numbers - cars that have no VIN numbers are kit cars.

So, does a continuation Shelby have a VIN number? or just a chassis number? I really don't know - someone tell me. In the minds of the Missouri State Highway Patrol - NO VIN = Kit Car ... go figure. Just another interesting facet to the age old question of "is it real?".
The CSX cars here in California are registered under SB100 as a "Special Construction" vehicles just like the rest of our cars. No they do not have a Vin# like a regular vehicle but are given an ID# by the state. I was in law enforcement and if you were to run "CSX4xxx" it would come back as "No Record Found". You would have to run the state id#.

Last edited by SP01715; 10-10-2007 at 06:06 PM..