Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     
Default Roush Warranty Work

I have been having some issues with Roush not responding to the issues that have come up with my motor (511 8 stack Fuel Injected). It took over a week to get the proper code to unlock the PCM for the tuner to try to work on the uneven idle, missing etc. It has also delvoped a rear seal leak (and it only has 175 miles on it). Just wondering if others have had similar issues of a not so timely response. Just not what I expected for a motor that sells for as much as it does and a company with Roush's fantastic reputation.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

csx4910,

Did you buy your motor directly through Roush or did you buy it through a dealer? If you bought it through a dealer or installer, give them the full court press to do your bidding to correct the situation with Roush. I thought I had a rear-seal leak, but it ended up being some galley plugs on the back of the engine that leaked oil on the clutch (which needed to be replaced) and drip below the bell housing (looked like a rear seal leak).

What is the extent of your oil leak? You might want to invest in an inexpensive UV light and do a little investigating to see if you can isolate the issue.

Roush will stand by their product, but you've got to have a lot of patience.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-02-2008, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

As doug has stated be patient, Roush does not move very fast, is your installer a Roush distributor?

I have not heard of one instance yet where they have not honored a ligitimate warranty issue.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They are a Roush Distributor and they have been calling freqently and as soon as these problems have come up (as far as I know) but Roush has NOT been very responsive. Within 2 days I had a small puddle about 6 inches in diameter
Old 08-02-2008, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2743, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

I took delivery on a MKIII with a Roush 427SR and the installer told me that the small oil leak from the front of the bell housing was likely a rear main seal. I was told to drive the car 300 miles and bring it in in which I did. The dealer was authorized to fix this.
Afet 300 miles they pulled the engine and transmission and found a pin hole leak in the rear of the block. They sent the engine back to Roush who sent a replacement. Roush had the engine about 4 days. The rest of the time was trucking back and forth to Michigan.
New engine runs great. I'm completely satisfied.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Howie, I'm glad you are finally enjoying spf 2743..........

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 08-02-2008, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

Ditto to what Doug said...took awhile but my 402SR is running nicely. It will take some time with Roush. My leak was oil galley plugs also.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2482 Shelby/Roush 427
Not Ranked     

Like everyone else, I thought my leak was the rear seal. Turned out it was the pan gasket that was running the length of the pan then down the bell housing. I had my installer fix it but they said they often have to fight with Roush about getting reimbursed on a timely manner. I would investigate the oil leak just to make 100% sure where it is coming from.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 602 roush 427srtw 467rwhp 445rwtq
Not Ranked     

My 427 srtw is awesome.

Last edited by native1; 02-02-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Old 08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None at this time sold the last one
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear that you are having problems, my own experience with Roush was excellent. When some problems developed Stephen with Full Throttle Performance (RED) out of Reno diagnosed the problem, had the authorization from Roush and had the motor shipped back and all the corrective actions took place. I had an issue with the intake manifold, (Setting too low on the heads, in other words not machined properly) and Roush took care of that after the engine came back. My experience could not have been better and I did not spend one nickle for the engine removal, installation and warranty work. Everything worked great and the communication by Roush was better than I expected.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by native1 View Post
My 427 srtw makes a noise that sounds like a marble in the crankcase. It comes from the passenger side only. It is louder when cold however always there. A rattle with a popping noise. Compression is good. Performance is great but I hate the noise. I am concerned that the problem is a scuffed piston or valve related. Since it runs and performs perfectly it could go on for two years or 24000 miles which puts me out of warranty. Registered in Jan of 08. My dealer has checked everything IE exhaust leaks, compression. Will I have to wait for something to break?

This would really concern me but on a hunch it isn't an exhaust leak is it?
Old 08-04-2008, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry

I'm getting really frustrated with Roush's lack of response. The Dealer (Anthem Motors) has placed at least 3 calls to them since Thursday with no response at all from Roush about fixing a coolant leak coming from the engine, an oil leak coming from the rear seal, a flywheel that is missing teeth and lastly, finishing the tuning for the EFI can't be finished until this other work is done. I left a message for Michelle in the warranty department and also for the engineer that called me last week. we will see. It has now been 2 1/2 weeks. meanwhile the car is sitting gathering dust at their shop.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

With the money you've got in that motor (a great looking engine, by the way), I would be very upset and frustrated with Roush.

Good luck in getting CSX4910 on the road soon.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 602 roush 427srtw 467rwhp 445rwtq
Not Ranked     

Not an exhaust leak. It has more of a metal against metal noise. I thought it might be a leak as well, so side pipes were removed and reinstalled with new gaskets. No leaks at header either. More noise when cold but always there even when hot. The car performs great and there is nothing "broken" just a funny noise. They make an awesome engine and I think the price is fair considering it comes fully chromed dressed with great internal parts, lots of ponies, and a two year warranty. Stock carb stinks though, needs a 750 or 850 dp. When it comes to race engines they cant all be perfect. I just hope mine stays together.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1019
Not Ranked     

Wow! In today's age, it is the service that comes after the purchase that really defines the reputation of a company. Reading this thread convinces me that I'm glad I didn't buy a Roush, and I don't think that I can recommend one to anyone.

And you need to ask yourself if Roush really cares about their reputation, given what has been shared on this thread...

Good luck to those with open, unresolved problems with their very expensive engines.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2180, second one, Roush 427, first one SPF 746, 514 Big Block Strocker
Not Ranked     
Default roush 8 stack

roush does have some problems tuning the the 8 stack, so I have heard.
I have a 427 roush engine in my SPF and I did not hane any problems with this engine
in my SPF. There is a tiny oil leak, and I do not know were it comes from and it does not matter to me. These engines will leak a little, but this is normal for the type of applicition
in these cars.
Get them to tune the 8 stack, which is kind of overkill for street use,of course that is my
opinion.
Good luck
Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aren't most engines overkill for street use in a cobra? Thats what makes them fun. Seriously before this started the motor sounded and ran awesome, I jsut think they put this motor to market before they had the bugs worked out. If I had it to do over again having this experience going on I would think twice about a Roush. Time will tell in the end.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rosenberg View Post
Wow! In today's age, it is the service that comes after the purchase that really defines the reputation of a company. Reading this thread convinces me that I'm glad I didn't buy a Roush, and I don't think that I can recommend one to anyone.

And you need to ask yourself if Roush really cares about their reputation, given what has been shared on this thread...

Good luck to those with open, unresolved problems with their very expensive engines.
I think you are being a little unfair in your judgement IMO. Look at the other comments on this thread praising Roush and you can add me to one of their satisfied customers.

The only problem I ever had with Roush was getting through to the right person because they are a very large company. If I need anything I now go through either Lance Stander at SPF or another guy I use that is a Roush dealer. They both have direct numbers and get quick answers when we have needed them.

What other engine builder do you know that will send a new motor on a warranty issue? I know of two cars where they have done just that and it cut down significantly on the time the car was down.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe I am being harsh but as of tomorrow 3 weeks have gone by without approval from Roush for Anthem to perform the warranty work and 1 week since I last heard from Roush who promised me they would call the dealer that day to get the work approved. I can't see how 3 weeks with only one call back is good customer service. I can only see it from a business perspective that sometimes companies get too large and diversified for their own good and forget what made them a great company in the first place. I see it every day in my industry. If I didn't return a call from one of my customers for 3 weeks they would be a lot nastier than I am right now. I am open to any suggestions to resolve this other than between myself and the dealer since Thursday have left at least 6 messages with no response AT ALL! To me that isn't good customer service for a $5000 engine let alone an almost $40K engine!

Last edited by csx4910; 08-05-2008 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: accuracy
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I'm not saying I'm happy about it (becuase I'm not), but my car was out of commission for 3 months for repairs. That's a combination of approvals, work, etc. I also know of a situation where they rebuilt a motor out of warranty for little to no cost. Roush moves at a snails pace, but they get it done.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it