Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz 427SC, 427w, 592hp, 561torque
Not Ranked     
Default New Arntz owner

I'd like to announce I'm the happy owner of an Arntz Cobra I purchased the partially completed kit from Jason out of Avila Beach, Ca. I have been busy sorting what is needed to finish and have completed the engine build. The Jag rear-end is being re-worked by Kurt at Hamilton Industries. He is converting to Wilwood Dynalites and vented discs.
This is my first post ever on a forum. I hope I'm welcomed into your Arntz/Butler forum. David
Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum David! You bought a nice car with some really nice pieces included. If you decide not to use that hardtop, let me know!

You'll find an interesting mix of owners on the Arntz/Butler forum, from the lazy guys like me who have just bought one and enjoy it, through to guys like Arthur and Russ who know every nut and bolt intimately.

The Arntz chassis is a heavy duty piece, the body shape looks great, and with that monster small block of yours it will be an eye opening car! It sounds like things are well underway, so progress pics would be really interesting.

What colour are you planning to paint it?
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Three things swayed me to this Cobra...the engine position farther back, the structural reinforcement in the doors, and the hardtop(sorry 750hp). The color will be titanium(very dark silver) with black stripes. It came with grey vinyl seats and door trim, not sure if I am going to stay with this...I'm leaning toward black leather Racetech seats. I will post some progress pics as soon as I figure out how to attach.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Are you going to switch the front end for a better design like the Fast Cars IFS?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

His was the Type IV car wasn't it? Just be careful hacking it up in any way as finding parts for that particular model may be a little hard. He would know better than any of us what is different.

What kind of trans are you putting in it and what rear gears does it have? Are they converting it to outboard brakes?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm going to stay with the MGB front for now...it has the modifications Ron Butler did with his cars, tubular upper A arms, remote shock mount, sway bar. Maybe down the road, if necessary, I will swap out front end. The rear brakes are remaining inboard, but Wilwood .81 vented rotors and Dynalite calipers moved to rear mount. Original caliper location now has Wilwood spot emergency calipers. I am mounting venting housings to the front portion of center diff fed by electric fans, a little involved but kinda cool.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The tranny is a TKO 26 spline wide ratio. Rear gears are posi 3.31. I know I want to use a hydraulic throw out bearing...and have not decided on clutch make/type(single or dual disc).
Old 09-21-2013, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on your acquisition. Fun is in your future.

I've not been on the forum lately as I'm spending all my spare time driving. Normally we drive to commute, or to get somewhere and it's just a part of daily life and often a chore.

But driving a Cobra is driving you want to do. And I've been doing just that. I put on 1200 miles of smiles. So glad to be at this point.

Enjoy yours too.

Arthur
Old 09-23-2013, 12:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Arthur, congratulations on getting your car up and running.

The commonly accepted ratio for driving to working on the car is ten to one I believe, so you have plenty of driving to do to balance the equation.

Hoping you chalk up lots and lots of miles in the lovely fall months.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm trending for completion in about 4 months. Just in time for winter! So Cal winters arn't that bad. My engine builder is in the middle of making a change I've requested...he originally built the motor with Sportsman N351 heads, makes lots of power but are iron heads...I'm changing to aluminum heads to save on weight. He also mentioned my 11:1 CR will be more manageable in avoiding detonation because the aluminum heads dissipate heat better than iron. I'm hoping it dyno's as well as the other heads!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Which heads are you using now?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They are AFR 225's with 2.08 intake, 1.60 exhaust. He CNC's for more flow. Hope they work out...lots of rework and cost!
Old 09-27-2013, 02:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good choice!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Cobra13, congratulations on the type IV Arntz. Jason knows everything there is to know about the Arntz/Butler cars. You got a good one and rare.

There is always help on this forum if you need it. Sounds like you are making good progress.

Anybody out there going to "Cruizen the Coast" in Biloxi. There will at least be two Cobras, a Butler and a Backdraft, both from McAllen. Let me know if you're going to be there. Staying at the Hard Rock.

Welcome aboard.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
Arthur, congratulations on getting your car up and running.

The commonly accepted ratio for driving to working on the car is ten to one I believe, so you have plenty of driving to do to balance the equation.

Hoping you chalk up lots and lots of miles in the lovely fall months.
Thank you Don, The car has been my daily driver. And I make sure I drive to lunch everyday too. 1,200 miles/1900km.

Still learning the Holley Commander 950 Pro Fuel injection program and getting a better understanding. I love the fact that it is so tunable, fuel & ignition. A lot more to learn, but having fun now for the most part.

Arthur
Old 10-22-2013, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So I have the dyno results from my head change. It's not a direct comparison because I wimped and backed off on the cam and compression a little. I need to be able to enjoy it on the street as well as track! HP came in at 592, but not until after changing up the carb. I started pulls with the same quick fuel 850 as I had before, but dyne readings were clear that more air flow was needed. I found a Holley HP Ultra 950 locally(I was on the dyno and time was ticking!), bought it and mounted for test...went from 550 to 592 out of the box! There's probably more there after some jetting but the curves looked fantastic so I let it be. Need to move on to next step!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David, are you selling the Arntz already?

1966 427 S/C AC Cobra - $17500 (SF East Bay) - Craigslist
This unfinished Cobra is one of only sixteen original Arntz's TYPE 4's. A Cobra ... this may in fact be the only unfinished Arntz TYPE 4 Cobra left ...
losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4124494576.html
Old 11-14-2013, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not my post. I'd lose my shirt and then some at that price!! I have no plans to sell, just enjoy!
Old 12-27-2013, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry I have not posted any progress pictures...I'm a little tech challenged! Can anyone point me to some tutorial on posting pics? Thank you
Old 12-27-2013, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tips on Picture Uploads and Image Sizes