Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2003, 07:23 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Brakes

I adapted the brake kit from wilwood for the 67-72 camaro to fit my spindles. I had to do quite a bit of work to get them on correctly but it was worth every minute. Do a search and you can find the details.

Hawk suspension is next!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates "Street" Roadster, 351W
Not Ranked     

While looking for some British electrial parts on the web I ran across a company in California that advertises a coil-over MG conversion for $1175. Didn't spend much time looking at it, but you guys looking to convert may want to check it out at www.classicconversionseng.com

MACV Advisory Team 16
Tam Ky '68-'69

Last edited by dkjos; 10-07-2003 at 08:17 AM..
Old 10-07-2003, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler '65 AC Cobra original replica, replica Ford SBC Engine
Not Ranked     

Dick,

Link no work
Old 10-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Also

http://www.jimmeyerracing.com

Has complete MG front ends. Choices, choices, choices.

www.mgbmga.com has the hawk unit domestically for 945 and a complete hardware kit for another 250. Plus a variety of sway bars.

Suspension kits, bars, parts etc
http://www.mossmotors.com

All kinds of suspension bushings
http://www.suspension.com/mgb.htm

Suspension bits and pieces, tubular sway bars etc.
http://www.fast-mg.com/index.htm
Good article
http://www.fast-mg.com/grip_tech2.htm

Shock conversions and suspension
http://www.mgocaccessories.co.uk/aca..._FRONT_31.html

Brakes, suspension, racks and more
http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/index2.cfm

Offset trunions, bushings, bump steer, yadda, yadda
http://www.speedwellengineering.com/frontsusp.html

Link to my post about putting wilwoods on my car
http://cobra.terraworld.net/forums/s...d+adaptor+move

Link to my post about changing steering column from bushings to caged needle bearing.
steering column mod

Happy reading!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-07-2003, 08:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates "Street" Roadster, 351W
Not Ranked     

Sorry, I left out one letter. It's now fixed.

MACV Advisory Team 16
Tam Ky '68-'69
Old 10-07-2003, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you want the Hawk suspension kit they have a distributor in Novato I don't remember the link to site but you can find it from www.theautosit.com it is an MGB v8 conversion site. I'm currently looking at ordering an Hawk Ace with the kit installed.

Alan
Old 10-07-2003, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Soory did not proof read first

www.theautoist.com
Old 10-07-2003, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Direct link to Doug Jackson British Automotive Novato California

http://www.mgbmga.com/tech/order-FRONTSUSPENSION.htm
Old 10-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Yep........

.........that one is in my list above!
Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A note

I just spent way to much work time typing up this note in response to a question about wilwood brake upgrade and some misc. thoughts on the hawk suspension pieces for an Arntz owner. So for what it is worth, I thought I would share my thoughts

"I to have talked a number of times to Wilwood. They do not seem at all interested in the making a kit for the MG. There is a company in the UK that does. I think it is Rally Design. This may be a route that you want to take if this all seems to daunting. But you will still need to go through all the calculations to get your brake balance in the ball park.

By the time you are done here, you will have in excess of $2000 in the brake and suspension upgrade. Have you looked into the front end sold by Unique?

Here is a link to the post about the subject:

http://cobra.terraworld.net/forums/...od+adaptor+move

As word about what I had to do to get the hubs to fit correctly. According to Unique, the rotor for a 1970 Monte Carlo is supposed to be a bolt on affair (in addition to the castle nut and inner bearing spacer mods). However, after trying at least two dozen different rotors, I could never find on that fit in a fashion that I considered to be correct much less they way the old one on my car fit. This leads me to believe that since there are many MG fronts fitted this way that mine is either slightly different or I did not hit the precise rotor from the precise manufacturer and that some rotor manufacturers make the rotor more generic in order to fit a larger body of applications. Or perhaps I am just overly picky! For this reason I have hesitated to offer a kit to the MG front end owners or publish this information as 'gospel'. So I will be very interested in hearing your experience. It is entirely possible that you may buy the kit, bolt it on, make a set of caliper adaptors and go! But, I would not count on that!

Don't forget to check out the link about putting caged roller bearings in place of the bushings in the steering column. Assuming of course that you also have a MG column. Everyone I talked to wanted in excess of $400 for a column set up this way. Seems to me it cost me about $12 and a afternoon!

Basically you want to buy the kit and mock every thing up. Put it together, look at it, think hard about every little detail. Take it apart and do it again. If in doubt, seek advise (start with the books listed below, they ARE the word)! While I have yet to do exactly what you are about to, I hope it will become apparent that I fully intend to and have given the subject a great deal of thought.

I would recommend the kit that comes with the 12.19" rotor if you have clearance inside of your wheels (don't forget to allow for wheel weights). Get the slotted/vented rotor if possible. Check with wilwood and be sure about the clearence before you buy, as I have not yet changed the 10.75" rotor to the 12.19. I bought my kit from Jegs but I see them all the time on EBAY. The only potential issue I can see is that the rotor may come in contact or to close to the tie rod end. If this is the case, you will have to change the tie rod to a spherical rod end. Use one of the rod ends designed for a greater range. What I mean by that is a typical spherical rod ends ball is only designed to rotate 10 degrees either direction from square in the bore. There are ends that are designed to rotate to a greater degree. If you picture the rod end laying horizontal attached to the steering arm as the suspension goes through its travel I am sure you can see that a total of 20 degree range may be insufficient and the bearing may bind. Of course to do this correctly the steering arm will need to be drilled so that there is no longer a taper where the tie rod is bolted into the arm. Depending on the finished size of the hole it may require that the arm be bushed to fit the bolt holding on the new 'tie rod'. The bonus here is that you will now be able to adjust bump steer. Adjust your bump steer with stacks of washers until you have it where you want it and then buy the appropriate bolt and make a spacer (aluminum bar stock, such as 6064-t6, the diameter of the flat on the ball cut to length and drilled to snugly fit the bolt) to replace the washers. Be sure to use a large 'fender' type washer of aircraft quality under the bolt head on the opposite side of the steering arm. That way if the ball come out of the rod end, the rod end will not be able to completely come off the bolt and leave you with no steering.

If you do not have Carol Smiths books, buy them. They will help in your work. Also Fred Puhn's Brake Handbook will be of great assistance. I think that all of these books should be in every Cobra owner library.

While I made my current caliper adaptors out of two pieces of .375 6064-t6 aluminum (same as Wilwood uses), I am fairly sure that the next set will be out of steel but I have not settled on the alloy. That is where Carol Smiths books come in. Once you have the rotors on and placed they way they need to be, make the caliper adaptors out of wood until you are satisfied with the fit. Then you can take them to any machine shop and have them cut. You could even having a welding shop cut the shape you need and then drill them yourself to save a few bucks. Be sure that they have been stress relieved. Particuarly the bolt holes! Imagine the shear force on these bolts and holes!

Be aware that depending on your current braking system you may have to make master cylinder changes. The larger rotor, higher coefficient of friction pads and caliper piston area difference all will change your brake balance. If you have a single tandem master cylinder, this will complicate the process but not make it impossible. Fred Puhns book is indispensable in helping you work through this.

Do NOT go to a hardware store and buy your bolts. These are OK while you are figuring out the final dimensions but they are not OK for the final assembly. Buy AN/MAS spec bolts. Use self locking nuts where possible and where not, safety wire AND lock tight the bolts. You will never have to worry about them again. You can get them from the local airport aircraft repair shop or order through Aircraft Spruce.

A word on pads. You can use the tan 'cold stoppers' that come with the kit but if you find that you need a little more torque then you can try the 'd' compound. The other compounds are VERY dusty and should be reserved for track work. I have had good sucess with the Wilwood 570 brake fluid. Watch the paint!

A good source for master cylinder (assuming you have Girling or Tilton) and spherical ends is True Choice. Check them out on the web. Seems to me the place that you can get virtually an metal in any size and quantity you want it called The Metal Wharehouse. Look them up on the web. I was surprised how much trouble I had finding some one that would get me what I wanted. I think the total cost of the metal required for the caliper adaptors was like $20.

Use Aeroquip braided lines for the brake 'hoses'. There are ready made to length. Don't forget that both ends are female ends so you will need a fitting between the caliper and the hose. I used a 90 degree fitting which helped with suspension clearance. The hose MUST be long enough that the suspension can go through its full travel with out pulling or kinking the hose and the hose must not get pinched nor rub against any suspension piece.

www.mgbmga.com offers the Hawk kit for $945 US. The also have a complete hardware kit for an additional $250. I forget what type of fasteners etc that they come with but look at it carefully before you buy. After seeing some of the bolts, nuts and washers that come with some kits I am always sceptical. Carol Smiths books will help in deciding if they are giving you hardware that you can rely on or junk. Pick your bushings with care. There are many, many sources for the bushings. Standard polyurethane bushings can be very 'squeaky'. Seems to me that Delron (sp) is the latest in a bushing material. Ones that can be greased may be a plus. If the ride is to harse, you can always go with the 'V8' bushings.

As I recall, the weight on the front end of the MG was surprisingly similar to my car. With that in mind I would think that the shock valving and spring rate that comes with the Hawk kit would be fairly close. Of course what they designed the kit for (racing or what) and what you want to use it for may be two different things. JBL (the Cobra not the speakers!) web site has some good information on suspension frequencies (and hence spring rates). Check it out and see if the springs provided are in the ball park for what you are looking for.

Be sure and index your rotors. It costs nothing but time. With a fixed position calipers this is more important. When I first bolted together my rotors I had in excess of .012" of 'wobble'. After indexing, I got that down to less than .003". That is a significant difference and JUST within tolerence. .000" is best!

This may sound overwhelming but it really is not at all. Armed with the books and some common sense, you will have a MUCH better braking system.

Of the top of my head, that is all I can think off. PLEASE take some time after you are done and let me know what you ran into with the brake and suspension upgrade. I will be very interested to hear. If you find this information to be of value, and of course accurate, feel free to share it with the other MG front end owners!

Rick"

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-01-2003, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz/Butler 3 engines(mild to Wild)
Not Ranked     
Default concerning your brake article

Picked this up from Boss 351 and read your article. Wilwood was apathetic as well with me. I did have some luck with Precision Brakes in Oregon(a Wilwood dealer and faber). They thought 950-140-2285-b for a 67-69 Camaro was a fit without mods for a 15" wheel but have not gotten back to me as yet. This is a 4 piston set up and looked to be adequate. Can you add to this ? thanks Steve
Old 12-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is one I installed. The details of the install are in another thread. In tech tips I beleive. Do a search for it. No spindle mods are required. I will be replacing the 10.75" rotors with 12.19" rotors this winter to get the peddle effort and balance where I want it.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is the link:

MG brake help

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-02-2003, 09:41 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

By the way, my car has gone from having to plan ahead, using a calendar, in order to stop on time to throwing you throw the windshield if you don't have your seat belt on!

I probably will some day rework the rear brakes. No so much because I need to but more because I bore easily

Rears are standard Jag/Girling stuff with EBC greenstuff pads. Combined with the T or D compound and the 12.19" rotors on the front, balance is almost perfect and the peddle has a GREAT feel to it.

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-02-2003, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Many thanks Rick you saved my life. I'm not kidding. My second motor puts out about 450 H.P. And I empathize with you totaly on your plan ahead comment for stopping. I almost have the third motor ready to try and I can only guess the H.P on it; Has a B/M shortie roots blower on an aluminum headed big block with an Isky roller cam. Pretty nuts ? I hope it fits under the hood, but thats probably on another string. regards, Steve
Old 12-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Part of the change was also master cylinder size. I don't recall exactly what I ended up with but it was either a 3/4 or 7/8 on the front and a 5/8 for the rear.

Sounds like a wild motor. Seems to me there was a 1000 HP Cobra at the Fling with a 6-71 blower hanging out of the hood. So, you are in good company!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 12-02-2003, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had C& J engineering out of Whittier cut down the top of the carb so it won't be out of the hood. The set up should be about 850 H.P. The most strain I want to put on that Jag rear.
I am working on another Cobra (T3 body I got from Ebay) with my funny car tubbed rear 32" end to end and Cooks twist proof axils. Still workimg on pieces for that motor. Looking for 3000 H.P.
Trying to figure how to keep it in a straight line with the short wheel base?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

I think there is a ARTNZ for sale on Ebay item number 150830632026 Hard to tell need more pics and info, take a look.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Arntz

I Have one for sale on Craigs list.