Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-25-2003, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     
Question Some questions about Southern Automotive

Calling all SAE buyers---I've got some questions and need some opinions about the quality and service of these engines and this outfit----if you have opinions, experiences or know of anyone who's had good AND bad things happen re SAAE rebuilds lemme know. I waited months for my engine and there are some technical "discrepancies". Please feel free to e-mail me, if you want anonymity...

Thanks in advance for any infl.

Old 08-25-2003, 07:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Fred, I am in the process of building my 3rd motor from Southern for 3 different cars, so call me a happy owner. I have also been witness to 8 other ongoing happy ownership experiences first hand. I recommend you call them, rather than post publicly, as they stand behind the product. Best regards.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Made the call---and was reassured

Toy,

When I poked around my new 408 C from SA, there seemed to be a few things wrong---now I realize (thanks to Bill) that they're the material effects of a run-in session. I had called last week and Bill was out of town. Earlier this morning, I called down to SAE and got Lewis, he reassured me that all was well. I then got on the line with Bill and found out all the stuff I called "discrepancies" were in fact just the above-mentioned normal effects of the run in. Bill was prompt, courteous and completely instructive. I have never had any problems with Bill--a true "southern gentleman"---so I'm sure things are going to work out. If they don't SA is apparently really good abouyt backing their product---got that news from everyone.

By the way, were you the gent who had come up my way on Cape Cod? I seem to recall someone from Georgia coming to my tiny hamlet and citing some local watering holes.

Thanks for the support.

Freddie
Old 08-25-2003, 09:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Yes, that was me. Chart Room, Nairn Rd off of Scraggy Neck in Cataumet .
Old 08-25-2003, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Wow! What "CRS" (self-diagnosed) can do to you!

That's funny. I hadn't seen your logo or at least haven't associated it with you for MONTHS. It just pooped up as an instinct! The black car triggered something. Do you ever come back to Cape Cod? I've just discovered about 8 cobra owners I didn't know were down here. Even another Butler!
If you go into LL Bean's (in Freeport Maine), the saying goes, sooner or later you'll run into all your old friends. I ran into two guys I hadn't seen since college in Bean's. When Î used to do the Neweport-Bermuda Race, people would ask where I was from--either Caataumet MA or Five Islands, Maine ALWAYS ran a bell! People from England and Aus-TRYL-lyuh had even heard of Five Islands!
Anyway turns out my fears, re SAE were unfounded or at least explained by none other than the boss.

Give me a shout if you're ever up near either of the roarin' metroplises in which I dwell.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking 406 Cleveland goes in Wednesday

It's time to put this thread to bed---Bill Parham has laid any doubts to rest---I really appreciate his calling (while I was on a boattransiting the Cape Cod Canal yet!) and reassuring me re break-in etc.
I'll keep you posted. A large part of my summer's been dedicated centering, squaring and moving the rear axle aft an inch or so (to stop the Hoosier's from rubbing on the seat-back area) and replacing the front axle with a newie. Car now will have over 92" w/b and have a lot less "twitchiness" in the hard cornering. The thing still just adds radius in a .80G crank!
Do you guys have the same handling? Oddly, this forgiving behavior is totally symmetrical!? I'm no lightweight---can't figger.

Thanks one and all for the responses and advice.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler '65 AC Cobra original replica, replica Ford SBC Engine
Not Ranked     

Fred,

Get out your camera and let us see your progress.

Later,
Old 09-01-2003, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Roy, I may not be an Andy DUNN, BUUT...

Eric Miller (my mechanic and builder) and I have discovered quite a lot while poking around with axles, footboxes, engines, brakes and the like. One thing is that by moving the rear axle aft 1", we will eliminate the larger tires from rubbing---it will also give the car 91.5" w..b---which Ron Butler says is correct. We found that the axle was not straight nor centered!. The front axle didn't need replacing---BUTT, I had a new one hanging around--so in went the brand new one---easily! These cars incidentally look to have transmission tunnels set up for auto trannies. LOTS of room. I was toying with moving the new 408 C aft an inch (!) but that would cost some considerable dough! Lots of pix---soon as I pulll ahead of Coco the Gorilla )in terms of compootah skills anyway), I will post them.
By the way, for helping with bodywork repairs/paint/etc. Shannon Fry is top drawer. He sent me mucho paint chips---which I still owe him!
So.......don't worry, I'll post a lot. Gotta relaunch the car this coming week. Missed driving it for these summer weeks! Then it's off to Maine!!! Ideal cobra-photo area!
Let's make an Arntz Butler claaendar!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: