Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Arntz/Butler Forum

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default More help?

Hello,

Unfortunately, when I bought my car, it came with absolutely zero paperwork, so I wonder if I could get some more information from fellow owners.

The brake master cylinder is bad. Does anybody happen to know what these were originally off of? It looks like a GM cylinder from maybe a Corvette or a Trans Am? How about the master for the clutch? Again, maybe an old GM?

The brake master is leaking and I need to replace it. Thanks in advance.

Ron
Old 08-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Ron,
My clutch M/C is a WAG F27047. Yours may be different. I have not replaced the brake M/C yet. I think you are right about being a GM part. I removed the M/C and took it down to a mom and pop auto parts store. They gave me the parts book to look through for the correct picture. Be sure to know the bore size as the same unit can vary. I didn’t and I had to take it back after I installed it.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,

There were many different master cylinders used over the years. A picture would be helpful to see what you have. Many cars used Airheart with integral reservoirs and were later changed to Tilton with remote reservoirs. Very early cars used different off the shelf units as Tom mentioned. As another option, CNC master cylinders with the flat lid should fit under the floor (what I'm using) although the cars did vary quite a bit so your results may vary too

Jason
Old 08-27-2007, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll grab a picture tomorrow. I think it is a regular old GM master cylinder. I thought maybe from a Corvette or T/A, but it isn't due to the rear reservoir not being large enough.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello,

Sorry for the delay, but I've posted pictures of the master cylinders in my gallery.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

Just take it to Napa and exchange it out. My guess is the little one is off an old ford PU of ? and the double is off some newer Ford. You will have no trouble getting what you need.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 498
Not Ranked     

As I finshed the reply a thought had occured.
Put a nice couple if Tiltons on it that is what was on my Butler. Just measure the size you have now and get some tiltons, still easy.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Looks like a C3 Corvette unit. Take it off and bring it to NAPA or some other well stocked parts store and I'm sure they'll match it up.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well, that was not what I was expecting to see on the pedal box. But I'll agree with the GM master for the brakes and the clutch master looks like the one in my Studebaker Definitely shouldn't be a problem at the parts store. Most of the Arntz / Bulter cars I have seen have the dual brake masters with a balance bar, so that's what I was envisioning...

On another note, did your rear suspension come that way when you bought the car? Very nice that you have all the latest upgrades (sway bar, strut rod kit, Aldan coil-overs) although someone goofed on the rear strut rod frame mount. It's upside-down and backwards; probably works fine but not as stiff as it could be. And I'd love to know where the differential stiffening plate (under the diff) came from; it's the lightweight version!

Jason
Old 09-21-2007, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jason,

Yes, the rear suspension came that way. Apparently, the car was raced for about 3 years before he had it titled. The front suspension has a few nice features also. Koni shocks, adjustable sway bar and links, and if I am looking at it correctly, they had the upper control arm modified so you can adjust caster/camber on MG front suspension.

As for the brakes, they have adjustable proportioning valves for the front and the rear, which is maybe why they didn't use the dual cylinders. When winter arrives, I'll just yank the masters and measure them up. I want some nice aluminum ones anyhow.

Thanks for everybody's help!
joyridin' likes this.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler, 488" Aluminum Dove Ford
Not Ranked     

Jason, I have just purchased one of the last Butler's made by Ron, maybe even the last...not sure. You seem to know a lot the Butler and I hope to be able to correspond with you later. The car will be sent to Texas within the next 30 days. It has a lot of nice things, Halibrand rear, Aldans, 488 Aluminum Dove Ford, etc. nice stuff. Am trying to findout everything I can about the Butlers. The car is black, no stripes...just gorgeous. I am like a kid waiting for the truck to arrive.

Russ
Old 11-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1980 Arntz 427W, Webers, TKO600, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Russ,
Congratulations. I am curious about the halibrand rear. Is it a live rear axel or an IRS? Show us some pictures of the details.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Richard
It has a lot of nice things, Halibrand rear, Aldans, 488 Aluminum Dove Ford, etc.
Russ,

That car sounds familiar... there was one Butler produced with the Halibrand IRS and that aluminum Dove motor. It was custom built for the owner with everything you could possibly get and was one of the last, but not the last. The chassis number is probably in the mid 90's (out of the 100 built). Is this the car you are getting?! Pictures please

Jason
Old 11-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, the car is the one with the IRS Halibrand and some would say everything but the kitchen sink. When the car gets here, I will be posting lots of pics. There is a lot of chrome on the underside, the Halibrand is polished and it is hung from a cradle....looks very nice. The detail work is superb...don't know about Ron's work on others, but this one is exceptional

Russ
Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So, there were only 100 Butlers produced altogether? I see one for sale right now on Ebay.

Do you know when they went to the jigsaw puzzle style hood? Mine has it, I've seen most without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n6opv
Russ,

That car sounds familiar... there was one Butler produced with the Halibrand IRS and that aluminum Dove motor. It was custom built for the owner with everything you could possibly get and was one of the last, but not the last. The chassis number is probably in the mid 90's (out of the 100 built). Is this the car you are getting?! Pictures please

Jason
Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Remember, I am a newbie on Cobras...but what is a jigsaw puzzle style hood? Look at your pics...car is very nice.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     

Russ,
I saw one out there three years a go. It was up on Ron's wall rack (!). I almost bought it, but bought Ron Barsamian's instead. I was told that the one I saw at Ron Butler's WAS the very last Butler. It was still unpainted and had gray seats, etc. I didn't check the differential. It would be interesting to see.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Remember guys, I am a newbie to Cobra....but, what is a jigsaw puzzle style hood?
Old 11-20-2007, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler with home-rebuilt 393 Cleveland stroker(Ya---ikes!)
Not Ranked     

Russ did you buy it directly from Ron Butler himself? And did you go out to Ventura to see it at his shop? That is quite an establishment!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Richard
Remember guys, I am a newbie to Cobra....but, what is a jigsaw puzzle style hood?
There is a notch in the firewall, which seems to be there for access to the distributor on a Small Block Chevy engine. The hood then has an overhang on the back that fills in this gap. It seems as though only the very last cars had these style hoods.