Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-15-2009, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     
Default I'm back

I've been gone a few years now....and I beg forgiveness, even it is from The Sith Lord

Back in about '05 I got to the order form stage and...well....chickened out and went karting (Rotax) instead. That was fun and all, but I found that to be competitive it took a ridiculous amount of time, every weekend, week in week out. I shan't bore you with what else has been going on in my life since then, suffice to say I am now looking again at building.

At around the time I previously left this Great Temple, the LS1 was about to become persona-non-grata regarding emissions. So 6.0 it is. Apart from this have there been any other new laws (Victoria) or ADR changes that I should be aware of?

I was decided in the past on Classic Revival, mainly due to the plethora of LSx powered examples in Vic and hence people to call upon for knowledge. I drove a Vic members CR at the time (thanks again) and marveled at the quality.

Aside from people saying "mine is an X make vehicle and I am happy with it" do people have any far reaching opinions on which kit is currently the preferred option? I have noticed a few Harrison's popping up in the last 12 months or so ???

(I'm looking at a non-roller, LSx w/T56)
Old 11-15-2009, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
ADR changes that I should be aware of?
Read the ESC thread a few posts down. Electronic stability control at this stage is mandatory in all states starting Nov 2011. This ADR has been published already.

I believe in Vic they are bringing it in early at the beginning of 2011. You better build quick!
Old 11-15-2009, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Modena,

If you liked the old Classic Revival, then you will like the new version. Several changes such as Commodore based suspension, lowered floor, round tube frame, and built in roll bar mounts.

If I was to start again I would buy a VE wreck and bolt all of the bits in including ABS and traction control.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 11-15-2009, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

thanks Beejay, is it dunnydoor front AND back susp.?
Old 11-15-2009, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

having just re-read the chassis page on the CR site, I see it is VE rear-end, and with 296x28mm front discs this looks like VX'ish front end, which is good news for lots of brake manufacturer and size options!
Old 11-15-2009, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hi Modena,

My CR is the latest one.

LSx with T56.

The rear is a VE LSD with Standard lower arms and custom upper arms. The front is VZ hubs with custom upper and lower arms.

I bought it as a roller.

Everything just bolts together nicely as there are already mounting points on the chassis.

Quite roomy for Cobra.

The underbody exhaust was a bit challenging but the Exhaust man in Lilydale worked that out quite nicely.

Also the Fuel tank is a bit shallow so I had fuel surge problems, but external LP lift pump/surge tank fixed that.

Mine is in the paint shop at present. But was all registered unpainted.

If you start your car now you should be ok with he ESC not coming in til 2011.

I really enjoyed the build and Ian from CR was always avail over the phone to provide advice on cenrtain things when I asked. I just wished he was in VIC sometimes as it would have been easier to go to his workshop to ask and see things.

Lastly, it handles really well on the road, havent had it on the track yet.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 11-15-2009, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Modena. There are also now longer chassis available, for example 100mm extra with the Harrison (it uses the Nissan R32-33 rear).

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for that Gregg, 12 months would not be enough for me to get it driving, I will be relying on getting ESC exemption before committing.

Regarding CR suspension, why do you have custom arms? I would have thought the whole point was to use bolt-on parts from donors.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
thanks for that Gregg, 12 months would not be enough for me to get it driving, I will be relying on getting ESC exemption before committing..

Regarding CR suspension, why do you have custom arms? I would have thought the whole point was to use bolt-on parts from donors.
Regarding timeframes I got mine registered without interior done and unpainted and no exterior trim like bumpers and overriders. That can speed things up a lot. (Also my rolling chassis option saved a lot of time as well)

Not sure why Ian didnt use the whole donor approach. I know the VE rear in the CR has shortened half shafts to give a deeper dish effect.
Maybe the geometry was wrong on the donor for the CR chassis? I am sure Ian would be able answer you on this one.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 11-15-2009, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

money directly relates to time

thanks for the info.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: