Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Front number plate mounting.

Well I find myself with a happy problem.
How can I mount the front number plate without it covering the oil cooler intake?
At the moment I have it cable tied infront of the oil cooler hole.

Show me some pictures of how you have mounted yours, any ideas for brackets off the quickjack points (but then not obstruct the indicator)
Or do most people keep it behind the seat and say "Honestly officer, it just fell off".

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

No front number plate req'd locallyif there is no place to mount it

You might want to check this for NT

LoBelly
Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip LoBelly, I will check up on that.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
No front number plate req'd locallyif there is no place to mount it

You might want to check this for NT

LoBelly
Hey LoBelly, Can you let me know where in VicRoads this is stated, as I made a backet for mine and dont like having to have one.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I use this one

From Mike's Replica Parts
http://www.replicaparts.com/front%20plate%20page.htm
Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bob, exactly the sort of thing I was thinking.

If I need one then this is what I will get.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkrv8 View Post
Hey LoBelly, Can you let me know where in VicRoads this is stated, as I made a backet for mine and dont like having to have one.

Rgds

Gregg
Hello Gregg,

I'm not really sure but off the top of my head I think its the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 1999(?) part 2 regulation 222 (3) a & b

noting that the ability not to fit the plate is a consequence of the car design and the lack of a space to fit it. all sorts of arguements could be entertained on this point but...

... the acid test (for me) was my visit to the Traffic Management Group where the lack of a front number plate was not amongst the [extensive] list of improvements required - didn't even rate a mention

LoBelly
Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
Hello Gregg,

I'm not really sure but off the top of my head I think its the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 1999(?) part 2 regulation 222 (3) a & b

noting that the ability not to fit the plate is a consequence of the car design and the lack of a space to fit it. all sorts of arguements could be entertained on this point but...

... the acid test (for me) was my visit to the Traffic Management Group where the lack of a front number plate was not amongst the [extensive] list of improvements required - didn't even rate a mention

LoBelly

Hmmmm... Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll leave well enough alone if it is not too clearly defined.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     

BOXHEAD
Motor vehicles Act NT Legislation.

You will need to apply for an exemption under section 16 sub - section 3 for an exemption, on the grounds that it will restrict airflow etc and that the inclusion of a suitable fitting would compromise safety of other persons should you hit a pedestrian.

Thats how I would do it.....

16 Affixing of number plates
(1) Subject to subsection (3), the owner of a registered motor vehicle, other than a registered motor cycle or trailer, shall, upon the issue to him of 2 number plates of a design, type and material determined by instrument by the Registrar for such a motor vehicle, cause them to be affixed, one to the front and the other to the rear of the motor vehicle, in accordance with the requirements of Schedule 4.

(2) Subject to subsection (3), the owner of a registered motor cycle or trailer shall, upon the issue to him of a number plate of a design, type and material determined by instrument by the Registrar, cause it to be securely affixed to the rear of the motor cycle or trailer.

(3) The Registrar may, in his discretion, upon such conditions as he deems fit, by instrument exempt a person from the requirements of subsection (1) or (2).

Cheers
Hogster
Old 02-11-2010, 11:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for that Hogster, I will have to look into sending in a request submission.

Honestly not too fussed as I dont mind the number plate off to the side like in the linked kit.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-12-2010, 12:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Dave,

I take it that your not planning on running with a chromed oval around the nose hole? Would that be right? I have slim line plates which have been held at the RTA for over 2 years. Eventually, when I get them, I plan on mounting the front one to the top of the chromed oval around the nose by using small rubber inserted hose clamps which has the number plate secured to the front of the clamp then wrapped and fastened around the chromed surround. It works well for slim line plates. Unfortunately, a front number plate is required in NSW.

Baz
Old 02-12-2010, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

In happy NSW there is a $308.00 fine and 3 points off the licence for a partially obscured number plate.......Zieg Heil
Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah Baz, no chrome on mine, going for the race car look.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-12-2010, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Remember when the E Type Jaguar came out in the early 60s? This same problem came up in the UK and was solved by allowing a decal of the registration details to be mounted directly above the radiator opening.
It probably didn't do much for the paint, but if the label/decal was to be a permanent fixture, it didn't matter.
It was a cheap easy fix. Nearly fifty years later, I wonder if we've caught up down here in Oz? The decal wouldn't photograph too well for the flash-for-cash cameras but it could be argued that at least it's [i]something[i] to provide frontal vehicle identification.
Might be worth a try if your application not to have a front plate fitted is knocked back.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

There are some local cobra owners that have that decal deal on the top of the radiator cowl / nose and as far as I know they haven't been "bothered"yet.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I don't think that this would particularly disturb airflow for an oil cooler.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Real: Southern Roadcraft, SRV8, 351W stroker
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Number plate mount

My plate is tek screwed on the bumper as shown in the pic. Doesn't appear to inhibit air flow in any way.
Cheers,
Bryan
VK3KDN

Last edited by Bryan Wilson; 02-13-2010 at 07:48 AM..
Old 02-14-2010, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, FRP460 Big Block
Not Ranked     

Gotten 3 warnings for not having a front plate. I still don't like it but gotta have it. This plate holder is available from Branda, if I remember correctly. It goes behind the indicator light, 3 holes pre-drilled. Required a little bit of filing...

[IMG][/IMG]

SPF#1052 11mpg
CAV GT40 MONO29 9mpg
'94 35th Anniversary Rover Mini Cooper 32mpg
'01 MB CL600 V12 18mpg
'08 Volvo S80 18mpg
Old 02-14-2010, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suppose we do have some leeway in Qld, in that a slimline personalised plate is available.
Normal size is 375 mm X 134 mm, with the slimline version being the same width but only 100 mm high. A small concession, but it all helps!
The personalised plates are available in just about any colour combination you can imagine with a variety of backgrounds too.
www.ppq.com.au
Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Dave,

This is how I'm mounting my Slimline Plate. I had to put the rubber backed brackets on today and send a picture to the Engineer as this was about all he could find wrong last Saturday. No dramas. I was going to mount it like that at any rate. The number plate (COB-600 in Gold Lettering on a Black Background) will only sit slightly higher than the piece of Stainless you see here. The number plate will be sitting up from the bottom of the mount and shouldn't interfere with air flow to the transmission oil cooler or the radiator at all. Before you say it "THAT IS NOT MY OIL DROPPINGS!"

Baz

Last edited by Baz; 02-14-2010 at 11:36 PM..