Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-29-2010, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Cobber* View Post
Whatever floats your boat.

Oh what a feeling......

Sacrilege!!! It's not even American!!

Good looking setup there Cobber with plenty of performance too no doubt.

Cheers

Old 06-29-2010, 01:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
Sacrilege!!! It's not even American!!

Good looking setup there Cobber with plenty of performance too no doubt.

Cheers
Why does it need to be American? AC originally used a Pre war German BMW design engine.

On the outside it looks like an old car but underneath it has a modern engine with adjustable traction control, launch control and flat shift. 500hp for around $6k.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I'm just stiring what will probably turn into another opinionated farce of tha thread. I have no problem with a Toyota, BMW, Mercedes or even a Briggs and Stratton engine. Build it your own way, that's part of the fun.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I like the Briggs and Stratton Mike!

Another Ford, as usual ...

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Tenrocca's the only one with a truly authentic car...
(Standard disclaimer - a winking face at the end of a sentence generally implies a level of sarcasm that some might not have otherwise picked up on...)

For the rest of us, build what floats your boat. If I wasn't such a fan of the sound of a high revving V8, I'd buy one of these for my next Cobra...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Falcon-FG-Tur...4#ht_500wt_928

Light, inexpensive, lots of room to widen the footboxes, heaps of power and torque with potential for unbelievable horsepower. Who's first to go this route...?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

I think its funny people think these cars a ford. All ford did was supply a driveline. The car is made by AC and Carol Shelby.

I will be putting a chev in mine mainly because i think they are a better, smaller, cheaper engine. Personally i dont care what motor people put in them, its all about someone building their own car they want. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

I dont see anyone installing the original suspension or brakes either. Why would you unless you are building an exact replica.

When my car is finished the only thing that will resemble what Mr Shelby created will be the body, but then again that was AC.

Does anyone ever talk about building cars these days?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

The decision to go for a Chev was easy for me, having said that if a Ford engine was available at the time for similar cost, size, performance and emissions I would have been happy to go that way.

I find it interesting that so many Ford hot rods have Chevs fitted but no one seems to care.

I know of a couple of Chev powered Cobras that sold very quickly at over $70K this year, so no real issue with resale values as far as I can see. A well built car will always get the bucks no matter what is under the bonnet.

Ben
Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Ford V Chev

I have one of each.

The Ford was purchased as is ( except for the pretend supercharger noise )
and I had no option with the Daytona, it was Chev or nothing! space and Rego were the issues.

I love them both, the Cobra pulls like a 14 year old boy in 1,2,3,4th and the Daytona is more refined ( so far ) new CAM might change that .

The cars are fake so why not put what you want in it ( so long as its a V8/V10/V12 IMO )

STIFFY
Old 06-29-2010, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

I'd be happy with any good quality V8 for a Cobra.

I'm also a "One of Each" club member.

The 347 Windsor (Three meetings old ) kept up with a 400rwhp /800 kg Race Cobra on the weekend at Queensland Raceway....really happy with it's grunt.

If the straights were longer, it would have got away I'm sure....

And the new street Cobra ( Being Painted today !!! Yaaaayyy ) will have the LS7....this also should have some real punch.

Either one does the job I hope.

Cheers,
Warren

Last edited by Wazza; 06-29-2010 at 04:33 AM..
Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Paul's ( Heidleberg) SPF has one of the nicest chev fitments I have seen. With the rocker cover mods he had done and a few other bits aswell has converted me to a believer. If I built a Cobra I would fit Chev power.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb,5.6 8tb Windsor,TFS heads,Dart Shp,TKO600 ,4link 9in diff.Ford acid rush Paint,convopro wheels.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Tenrocca's the only one with a truly authentic car...
(Standard disclaimer - a winking face at the end of a sentence generally implies a level of sarcasm that some might not have otherwise picked up on...)

For the rest of us, build what floats your boat. If I wasn't such a fan of the sound of a high revving V8, I'd buy one of these for my next Cobra...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Falcon-FG-Tur...4#ht_500wt_928

Light, inexpensive, lots of room to widen the footboxes, heaps of power and torque with potential for unbelievable horsepower. Who's first to go this route...?
Craig I know of somebody thats been throwing the idea around......

Last edited by TUF-427; 06-29-2010 at 03:45 PM..
Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

As a youth had a 6cyl Charger - was fun upsetting the HQ set with the 327/350 chevs (& matching mullets )

did consider a six for easy emissions...

found this on yootooob (below)
1163hp @ 6500rpm (streuth)

When I first started to build my Cobra I was startled to find that people put chevs in them.

I thought - aren't we all ford guys here?

Then after a while on the forum I found that my beloved windsor was considered second rate by the big-block crew.

Of course amongst them the guys with the 385 series know they have the better donk - but the FE blokes reckon the 385 mob are soft.

The 'true' cobra guys have FE's (not 390s but you get a pass)

Naturally there is a hierarchy of FE's - clearly 427's are superior to 428's

But of course when it comes to 427's a side-oiler is superior to a centre oiler

Now there are a number of different head castings that ...

LB

Last edited by LoBelly; 06-29-2010 at 08:36 AM..
Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
But he didn't use it.
Didn't Chev tell him to rack off ?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twig View Post
How,and I know there are plent of that you,do you blokes justify putting the arch enemies engine in a Cobra replica????

But how do you get your head around it!!
Practicality, size, rego, weight and cost all factored in to my decision.

I paid about $5K for brand new L76, loom and ECU. That affordability made my plan to build a real possibility.

I lamented similar feelings about running a cheb to a local guy here before I purchased an engine, his response was "Paint it blue, shut the bonnet and just drive it, who's gonna care."
At the end of it all I'll just be happy to have built a car the looks not unlike an AC Cobra, sounds nice, cheap to run, goes as quick as Kevin and delivers 100 smiles per hour.

Last edited by Outwest34au; 06-29-2010 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-29-2010, 04:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks guys!!

Great feedback!!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There you go put in whatever you like it makes no difference in Australia to re sale value, a nice cobra is a nice cobra.

My brother in law in the UK works for VW and has a new VW V10 twin turbo diesel from a Toureg sat on a pallet, how about bolting that to a Territory AWD set up and dropping a body shell over the top?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Chev or Ford engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexnut72 View Post
If it is an original car I can see the blasphemy.

On a replica, it is never going to be an original, so why worry? Do you have a Salsbury rear? Armstrong shocks? Girling brakes? What brand are your gauges? How many gears are in your trans? What is the name on your fuel pump? Is the body made out of Aluminum? Do you have a 90" wheelbase? Round tube chassis? Is the body an exact copy or just "period correct" or something that might be an MG (or Healy or a Cobra or a ...)? So many places you can go wrong that no one seems to make a fuss about.

If you are trying to build an exact replica, good on you for choosing a Ford engine. If it isn't exact, why stress about where the engine came from? Does it make the car go and put a smile on YOUR face? Do it!
I had one with an LS7 454 GM and man did that snort, if I was doing mine again I would go with a 505bhp Corvette engine and get between 25 - 30mpg and still have all the power I need, what swayed me was my intention is still to classic race this car and the GM engine just makes it harder now to get into some events. Size of engine is important and the modular Fords are very wide so the Chev is a better choice and has more performance with aftermarket cams and valvetrain items that give upwards to 600bhp.

I think there is possibly more resale in having Ford but if the car is well built I would say a GM engined Cobra would still attract good money as most of them here in NZ are poorly finished etc etc!

My car is all Ford with Jerico trans.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
Didn't Chev tell him to rack off ?
They certainly did.
Something about already having a sports car I think.