Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default So how do you justify putting a Chev in a Ford legend???!!!

Before we start I'm not trying to pick a fight??

And I'm not stupid enough to think that the Cobra kit car is(apart from looks) as about related to Ford as my jocks!! But the Cobra is a Ford muscle car icon!! How,and I know there are plent of that you,do you blokes justify putting the arch enemies engine in a Cobra replica????

I know it makes sense!! Beautiful large cube all Ali roller engine!! Comes with a good gearbox!! And rear end!!! Get your donor car and your well on your way!!

But how do you get your head around it!!

Don't get the idea I'm brand bias cos I love any V8!

But I do love my motoring history. And I know it makes good practical and economical sense to run the Chev,but my heart can't do it!!

Or is it just me??
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Resale value wise its not a good idea.....you will only get about 1/3rd the value of the car with a Chevy.V8.....

but it realy comes down to.....its your choice.......its your car.......do what you want....

there are a lot of nice cars out there with a Chevy. V8.....not my choice BUT do what you want its your money.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB "Rough as Guts"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twig View Post

And I'm not stupid enough to think that the Cobra kit car is(apart from looks) as about related to Ford as my jocks!! But the Cobra is a Ford muscle car icon!! How,and I know there are plent of that you,do you blokes justify putting the arch enemies engine in a Cobra replica????

I know it makes sense!! Beautiful large cube all Ali roller engine!! Comes with a good gearbox!! And rear end!!! Get your donor car and your well on your way!!

But how do you get your head around it!!

Don't get the idea I'm brand bias cos I love any V8!

But I do love my motoring history. And I know it makes good practical and economical sense to run the Chev,but my heart can't do it!!

Or is it just me??
Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

The reason for me is largly as you have answered, it is the smarter choice in Australia.

My background as a mechanic is mainly with Holden, so that also swayed my decission.

The retail value really does not come into it in Australia, but in saying that given a choice of a legal carby fed small block windsor or a legal carby fed 350 chev, I would go the Windsor.

But looking at it from your point (new build and new emissions to meet) then the physical size of the Ford motor also sways alot of peoples choices.
I dont know a great deal but I also think the ecu software is harder to crack?
And more costly to adjust?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
Resale value wise its not a good idea.....you will only get about 1/3rd the value of the car with a Chevy.V8.....

but it realy comes down to.....its your choice.......its your car.......do what you want....

there are a lot of nice cars out there with a Chevy. V8.....not my choice BUT do what you want its your money.
Bit different in OZ on the resales. Not as big an issue having a chev I would say.

Become more the norm then the exception now, even in those states where you could scrape in with a ford motor due to emissions. The modern ford motor is nice but big and wont fit in a lot of kits.

Happy with mine, plenty of toe stock. Economical, small and light, probably more like an original cobra donk then the modern ford. Makes a lot of sense, and at the end of the day it is just a hunk of metal - the make (ford, chev) is just a word, and doesnt change what it is.

Cheers.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twig View Post
Yes you are.

I understand your point of view. Most feel that way, but don't want to slam someone else's mistress.

I have seen several Viper V-10s. A Buick turbo charged V-6 (that is pretty fast buy the way). I hear there is a Mopar 426 hemi out there. I actually find these quite interesting. Someone dared to be different.

The small block Chevy gets no points for being different in my book, as they are stuck in everything anywhere you go. A great engine, I understand why some put them in, but not my cup of tea for a Cobra.

In the end, if it is well done and makes the owner happy, more power to them. I support allowing people to make there own choices, and I get a kick out of seeing something different.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I'm just saying.....if it makes you happy......do it.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Mod note:

Please notice that this thread is in the Australian Cobra Club sub-forum.

The OP posted a question in an area where engine choices are more "challenging" than in the US.

Thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Twig, you are describing the very same "heart and head" decision that I had to make. See all the advice I had and the decision at Engine Confusion

I was in QLD so I did have some choice.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If it is an original car I can see the blasphemy.

On a replica, it is never going to be an original, so why worry? Do you have a Salsbury rear? Armstrong shocks? Girling brakes? What brand are your gauges? How many gears are in your trans? What is the name on your fuel pump? Is the body made out of Aluminum? Do you have a 90" wheelbase? Round tube chassis? Is the body an exact copy or just "period correct" or something that might be an MG (or Healy or a Cobra or a ...)? So many places you can go wrong that no one seems to make a fuss about.

If you are trying to build an exact replica, good on you for choosing a Ford engine. If it isn't exact, why stress about where the engine came from? Does it make the car go and put a smile on YOUR face? Do it!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Twig, It really is easy to explain my decision and I was a "dyed in the wool" ford fella.

In my shed I have a 302W flat tappet engine, a 5LtrW roller, and a 351W flat tappet block. So it wasn't a shortage of engines. I had ambitions of building a stroked 351W and using that.

However, to build a 408W or such was going to cost about $20K and I had absolutely no chance of registering with that engine.

Along came Holden with a heap of brand new surplus Gen IV engines at about $10K all up with loom and ECM.

As said previously, all alloy, injected, easily tunable, and with an output close to the 408W with a little extra investment of cash and loved by the authorities..

I justify it by the cost/performance together with a view that the 5Ltr Windsor has no more place in a cobra than does a Chev.

As Boxhead has said, given the freedom I'd use a windsor but the chev has so much going for it for our conditions (read authorities) that it is hard to pass up.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

one word - REGO
Old 06-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Computerworks quote:
Quote:
The OP posted a question in an area where engine choices are more "challenging" than in the US.
Now theres an under statement (or would that be a "down under" statement)?

It's a no brainer as I see it. Due to the intense legal issues you guys face I'd be happy with ANY motor that would pass certification in a Cobra if I lived there!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Why not a nice AMG mercedes engine. -- ! or a Jag 5.0L, or a DB9 motor. !!

all fun ideas.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 06-28-2010, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Oh someone had to say it, Shelby went to Chev first remember???

Let the slinging match begin (again).