Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Top Loader with needle spigot/pilot bearing ?

I was in the process of doing final check over of everything before dropping the new donk into the cobra but im just not sure about the spigot bearing. The engine is a new Ford Racing 347 and has a needle spigot bearing whereas the one on the old ('78) windsor was the ball bearing type.

My clutch alignment too has a boss for the toploader bearing that fits nice and snug in the old bearing but when I try it in the needle bearing it feels just a tiny bit sloppier if pushing the clutch aligner rod side to side (or up and down). I cant really tell if its just that the needle bearing allows a bit more movement due to it's design or that its expecting a ever so slightly thicker input shaft.

The toploader spigot shaft is pretty tidy but I'd have thought a needle bearing like this would need a machined spigot shaft to run on ? Has anyone run a toploader with one of these needle bearings or does anyone know if this is a no-no and I need a bearing/bush made up ?

Thanks in advance

-Andy
Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I run a T10 with the Needle pilot bearing in the crank in lieu of a Bronze pilot bushing which is what both the Toploader & T10 used (old technology) in the 60's & 70's. So far no issues, after many years of service. I measured the T10 input shaft and it was the same a a T5.

Andyl: If yours had a ball type bearing in it; that had been retrofitted by previous owner as a Bronze bushing would have been OEM.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 07-03-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Old 07-05-2010, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
I run a T10 with the Needle pilot bearing in the crank in lieu of a Bronze pilot bushing which is what both the Toploader & T10 used (old technology) in the 60's & 70's. So far no issues, after many years of service. I measured the T10 input shaft and it was the same a a T5.

Andyl: If yours had a ball type bearing in it; that had been retrofitted by previous owner as a Bronze bushing would have been OEM.
Thanks Rick, I've also searched high and low and can find nothing to the contrary so I'm going with it as it is. I have tried my old roller bearing over the input shaft of a T5 since also and whilst tighter due to a bit of surface rust, it does fit so all should be well.

Thanks again.

-Andy
Old 07-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have noticed that the bearing fit is a bit tighter, to "almost to dam tight" over the standard bushing. The problem this potentially creates is alignment issues when installing the trans. That bearing, if it's a tight one, needs to be PERFECTLY centered in relation to the clutch plate. Even a tiny bit off will make it difficult to get the trans in that last half inch or so. It can be quite frustrating. The typical plastic alignment tool leaves a lot of "slop" so the alignment is in the ball park but hardly perfect. Using a real trans input shaft get's you closer, but it can still be off, "just enough" to make it a pain.

I use a real trans input shaft and THEN I actually depress the clutch without the trans in place to release the clutch disc and move it into a "perfect" alignment.

Of course, you may be fine with a plastic "in the ball park" set up. Sometimes you get lucky or the bearing isn't that tight. Even a blind squirrel finds the occasional nut on a lucky day...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: