Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RAM, 5.0L with ST10 4 spd
Not Ranked     
Default GPS speedometeres - are they any good?

I am going to redo my dash and looking at gauges at the moment.I like the speedhut legacy range due to their shallow depth, as room is tight behind my dash. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with these gauges and how accurate is the GPS speedometer. This would make my life easier as my old fashion gear driven speedo cable would need some work to convert to the newer style pickups. The bonus being alowing me to reposition the speedo without having to reroute the speedo cable so as not to bind, also one less cable behind the dash. The A$ is also pretty good at the moment.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

I can't speak for the GPS speedometer but the standard speedo (when calibrated) is accurate. If you go with the Lglow (sp?) gauges they are quite bright and will look differant than gauges lit with bulbs. They were easy to install and beats the hell out of VDO. Good people to deal with. Buy the whole set for continuity.

Jim
Old 10-05-2010, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

The GPS speedos are excellent, as long as you have satellite coverage.
They don't work in tunnels and take a few minutes to start reading when you first start up.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

I find they also take a couple of seconds to show changes in speed.
When braking or accelerating I could notice the difference.
Very accurate when doing a constant speed.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraigau View Post
I find they also take a couple of seconds to show changes in speed.
When braking or accelerating I could notice the difference.
Very accurate when doing a constant speed.
This is all true. I have had GPS speedos in my boats for years. They are very accurate, but they do have some lag. When doing top speed runs in my boat, I have to hold the speed for a couple seconds if I want the real number. I have wondered for a while now why they are not more popular in autos. You can change tire size, gear ratios etc... the speedo does not have to re-calibrated.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"I find they also take a couple of seconds to show changes in speed.
When braking or accelerating I could notice the difference"

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Regarding the delay in speed change display, is it easy to live with, or do you find it frustrating, for instance comming of a freeway from 110 to 70 to 60kph, is it noticeable, more importantly is the lag significant enough so you can misjudge the speed and get booked ?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

I use an Athlon gps-rw it has no lag at all, speeding up or braking.
It usually picks up atleast 6 satellites.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPTYL View Post
I use an Athlon gps-rw it has no lag at all, speeding up or braking.
It usually picks up atleast 6 satellites.
Hi Reptyl, seems there might be some confussion. follow this link to see what I was enquiring about.

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge...number-820.htm
Old 10-06-2010, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Gday Pills,

There was a person on here that got a full set of the speed hut gauges and posted a pic. They look great and i am currently tossing up between speedhut or classic instruments.

If you do some searching you might be able to find the post with pics. It was quite a few years ago i believe.

Let us know how you go with them if you decide to buy.

Cheers.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Zedn.

Well I bit the bullet and placed my order tonight. I will let you know how I go when they come. Might even post some photos when i work out how to use the gallery.

Cheers guys.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I went the Classic Instruments route as I liked the convex lenses option to reduce reflected glare. I think that they have the most amazing range of choices. They also have agent in Sydney (Maurie) who is very helpful with advice, adapters, etc. It is worth spending a few minutes looking at their range.

http://www.classicinstruments.com/

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv,

What model did you end up going with? There are only a couple of options in metric to comply with ADRs.

Pills, pics are easy, check out the sticky at the top of th Aus forum.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pills View Post
"or do you find it frustrating, for instance comming of a freeway from 110 to 70 to 60kph, is it noticeable, more importantly is the lag significant enough so you can misjudge the speed and get booked ?
You can live with it because you'll never know unless you have something else to notice it against. On braking you'll err on the side of caution because you'll think you're going faster than you are.

On acceleration it will show under for a couple of seconds until it catches up, so that's the time to be careful!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, Cammed LS1, 6 speed
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Speedhut gauges

Hi Pills,

I'm a bit late as I see you have already made your purchase but I think I'm the one Zedn was talking about. I bought a full set of Speedhut gauges nearly 2 years ago to the day. Along with the features you already pointed out they have a full electric 270 degree sweep and a myriad of choices for colours, designs, logos, lighting, pointers, the list goes on. They are easy to programme and have user setable warning LEDS, I limited my dash warning lights by using the ones built into the gauge for Low oil pressure, high temp, low fuel, low volts, shift lights. They really are an awesome gauge and I can highly recommend them for service, delivery & price.
I don't have the GPS speedo but mine is running off the signal wire from the LS1 PCM and was dead easy to calibrate. I was their first customer to request a 6 digit odometer to comply with our ADR's and I see it is standard now. If I ever build another car I will definately go back to Speedhut.

Cheers,
Guy
Old 10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraigau View Post
You can live with it because you'll never know unless you have something else to notice it against. On braking you'll err on the side of caution because you'll think you're going faster than you are.

On acceleration it will show under for a couple of seconds until it catches up, so that's the time to be careful!
I agree. Unless you are doing top speed runs, you probably won't notice it much.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Liam - I believe that Maurie can get other models in metric (it is really only the speedo that is necessary). I used these. The curved glass is good with reflected light and they were very easy to fit. Obviously I wanted a more traditional look. Smiths was my other choice, but at double the price?

(I just noticed how much better it looks without the dash pad!)

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are they the hot rod series? I think they really suit the style of the cobra. Looks good.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes Liam: http://www.classicinstruments.com/se...?SeriesCode=HR

They are really quality units.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Merv the classicinstruments range looks great, but the decider for me was the 1.1 inch depth of the speedhut gauges. My dash, in some areas has verry little depth behind it due to my heater setup, so this allowed me great flexibility as far as layout goes. They would have been my first choice otherwise as well. Having said that, my current gauges are a mix of Smiths and Smiths lookalike VDO with the flat glass and chrome bezel - have never had an issue with glare etc...

Zedn thanks for the pointer to Ac Cob, and Ac Cob thanks for your reply. I feel better now seeing your gauges. They look great. Mine will be slightly different, as i have chosen the Legacy range, and yours are the Revolution range with the cobra logo.

Cheers Chris.

Ps: Might be selling the Smiths range if any one is interested.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

has anyone gotten one of these gps speedos passed engineering or rta
just spoke to instrument guy about afew things and i said what bout these gps speedos
he said he doesnt see how they can be allowed
anyway a cobra builder in seven hills is having problems with rta and a speedo on a cobra
basically speedo readings used to be 10% leway each way
suposedly the new rulings are
speedo cannot read slower than actual speed
can read abit faster
which means u wont think yr doing th speed limit when u r actually going faster
think thats right way to phrase it
think the rta are just getitng pissed at **** like this as we both said its one rule for some and another rule for big car manufacturers
looks like more and more people r upsetting the rta hehehehehe

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: