Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

My thoughts - there should be enough bulk imports of factory crate engines that the likes of Ferntree Gully Holden can sell heaps at a lower margin and make it worth purchasing locally.

Performance aftermarket crate engines - I've seen the pain that Spook went through, but hopefully the guys responsible / aware of that will take ownership. If you buy from Keith Craft, Jon Kaase, Shafiroff, Fast Times, Brent from www.b2motorsportsllc.com (a prolific contributor to this forum) and a few others who value their reputation, I can't see you having an issue. These guys can send over an engine fresh off the dyno. Run in, tuned, and ready to go....FAST!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1476 - Keith Craft 445ci, 636hp 613tq
Send a message via Skype™ to skippy
Not Ranked     
Don't know if it was mentioned.

I was shocked to find that the added shipping cost came into account for the total price as well. So i was taxed on top of. (Nice).

That is what happened here living in Europe.

You might want to check that as well.

Good luck fella.

Skip.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The ultimate crate engine sold on Ebay last week. 600 cube Kaase Shotgun, 900hp on pump fuel. Reserve not yet, but he sold it anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jon-K...#ht_500wt_1182

TOUGH!!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by alffie View Post
When you import a crate motor you will have to pay 5% duty on the price of the motor you then pay 10% GST on the TOTAL cost of the Crate engine INCLUDING Freight. Still a lot cheaper than buying one here.
That is not true.... I picked up my crate bottom end from Port of Brisbane last Friday. Because the product is made in America we have a free trade agreement which states that the duty is waived... All you pay is the 10 GST on the AU$ cost of the engine and freight. You just need to get whoever sends the bits to say it is made in america from american parts and you are right.

Most of the dedicated engine builders in the states care about their reputation. If they build a dodgy engine the internet will find a way of getting the word out ie like this forum.

I bought mine from fordstorkers.com in Illinios. Jim & Nicole very friendly to deal with and nearly always online to answer any questions you might have. Engine should be running in a month or so when i can get time to bolt it all together and get the rest of the bits required.

I got a brand new DART 4 bolt SHP block, steel crank, H beams, forged pistons to suit trick flow heads, all ARP bolts etc, perfect circle moly file fit rings, custom ground billet roller cam degreed in, billet timing gear, chain etc, canton road race oil pan, pickup, braided dipstick, billet flywheel, SFI balancer, all balanced and blueprinted fully assembled for US$5350.00 All this stuff was brand new. Freight was $592 and i paid shipping and freight costs of $233 here and another $700 in GST etc. So i paid a total of $7000 for all that. Price all those parts brand new retail....... and then get someone to machine and assemble it for you...

Just my 2c worth....
Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmaster View Post
That is not true....
You might both be right. GM's Goodwrench crate engines are built in Mexico.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Towmaster

We are only a few miles from Fordstrokers here in Illinois and he does an outstanding job on his stuff---we supply blocks to him , not only Dart but core 351 windsor blocks
Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[quote=750hp;1085787]Performance aftermarket crate engines - I've seen the pain that Spook went through, but hopefully the guys responsible / aware of that will take ownership. (/QUOTE]

Well 750HP, the jury is out on that one still but I'm seeing "some" positive signs....
Reg from BDR in the future may certainly have 2nd thoughts on getting his engines built again through the mob he chose. I'm going to try and find out who did it (I believe is/was a local Floridian guy with a supposedly good rep...Laughable) so as I can WARN everyone else to stay away.

As Towmaster says.... in some ways people think Australia is on another planet but the internet can be a POWERFUL tool..if we get ignored!

SpookyPT

Last edited by spookypt; 10-26-2010 at 11:51 PM..
Old 10-27-2010, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

For anything auto that you guys need shipped down under---contact www.titanship.com
for quotes or help on shipping methods, schedules,etc

We ship engines to there place in Los Angeles, Ca and they containerize and send them on the way---you can track the shipping 24/7

Jerry
Old 07-20-2020, 04:18 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default RE: Crate engine from the US, whats the import $?

It should depend on quantity and volume. Take into account distance travelled, weight of what you import, compliance of what you wish to import and finally cubic metre rates. At the Australian end look at what Customs requires and the GST for imported goods. That will give you your answers. Learn more here: ACC customs broker Fremantle

Last edited by dolsonlelan; 07-26-2020 at 02:37 PM..
Old 07-20-2020, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I would suggest you contact the shipping company?
Old 07-21-2020, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

I've bought stuff from overseas no problems. Just keep in mind there's a correct way to get an engine number not just stamp one you've found off another old block.