Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-26-2010, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     
Default Steering modification

I have modified my sigma steering column to accept 'DD" uni joints and not have a welded sleeve as it was once designed for my Evans kit.
No doubt there are other better methods, but with limited availability of machining gear and help I went this way.

The link to the PDF detailing my method is right here

Cheers
Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Nice

Thankyou for adding to the body of knowledge here - how a bout some photos of your progress

LoBelly
Old 10-26-2010, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the interest LoBelly,
here are a few random pics of late.

Out of the shed again.

Fabbing some ally bits, old glass tunnel out, narrow ally one in, plus ally rear firewall. Handbrake is functional finally.

Everything is only half in at best, wiring needs a bit more, need seat mounts and rails, some idiot lights for the dash. I'm running things off just the surge tank at the moment, it's perched up in the passenger seat.

Cooling and pulley setup almost nailed. The power steer delete pulley is made from 10 mm ally plate with an EF Falcon idler pulley. The legs for it are 1/2" S/S tube but will be replaced by 3/4 or 1" ally posts. Alternator mount bracket is standard LS1 with the VY type alternator rotated and a top brace made. (my loom has VZ and VY type alternator plugs, just in case I get caught out somewhere). Top radiator hose is std. V6 Lexcen etc, easy to get. The steam pipe to radiator bleed hose is oxygen mask medical tube from an op. I had a few weeks back. Header tank or inline fill coming soon.

Bathurst weekend was used to enjoy BBQ meat, drink bulk, watch the race in the shed and fit dummy rollbar stays. Don't you just love attacking one of these with a holesaw.
The boot floor was removed, some work done, once the rollbar mount plate is all done the floor will be glassed in again, surge tank goes up the front of the boot under the high mount light.

Exhaust fully welded, mounted, done WOOHOO. It even passed scrutiny from the helpers.

Yesterday I mounted the clutch master cyl. Today I have the gearbox holding by one bolt, ready to add the clutch fluid line which will be finalised tomorrow.
Maybe by the weekend I can motor it back and forth under its own steam.

Last edited by Outwest34au; 10-26-2010 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: DOH, cant spell for shiP
Old 10-26-2010, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Looking good Gary. Brings back memories of my build, cutting out glass tunnels,firewalls to replace in alloy. A note on the steering, I done mine as Evans recommended and have had no trouble for the last 6 years.

Cheers
Brett
Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Snake View Post
, I done mine as Evans recommended and have had no trouble for the last 6 years.

Cheers
Brett
Thanks Brett, your point noted.
I know you can relate to this build. BTW, you were right, nothing is straight or central on these things.

With no factory paperwork to support myself for engineering I feel the need to make everything "argument proof" regards the welding side. I did just get an email from my engineer saying he was happy with the mod with some other advice. Anyway, this way I don't need to get xrays and so forth.

While the gearbox is out later I will make up some steel bits for the battery carrier based on the knockup in the pics, the posts (2x2 rhs) hanging out the top leave me the option of bar'ing out (triangulating) from the front rail and back to the trans crossmember if I need to stiffen it up a bit. Everything is/ will be fairly easy to remove or change.

Chompin' at the bit now, not far off motoring (at 5 kmh down the street for a test)
Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest34au View Post
Thanks for the interest LoBelly,
here are a few random pics of late....

...blah blah blah... The steam pipe to radiator bleed hose is oxygen mask medical tube from an op. I had a few weeks back. ...
Sensational - with medical grade components no-one is going to knock you back on your engineering

LoBelly
Old 10-29-2010, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

do you have more photos of your exhaust , im doing the same eng/box/ diff combo
but stuck on how to run the exhaust some more photos would be good
nice job of your cobra
Old 11-03-2010, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Renovationinnov, hope the link to the pics in the PM was ok, if you need more shots let me know.
Cheers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: