Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 11-05-2010, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default which one to build?!?!?!?!

Hi all, bear with me this is my first post and I need your help!!!
just been given clearance from the wife to realise a dream and start a cobra replica. Any recommendations greatly received. Im pretty unfamiliar with the kits here as Im originally from the UK. I really like the DAX kits just from experience (helped to build 2 cobras and a GT40) and especially with the dollar so strong against the pound it looks great value, does anyone know if it will pass ADR's etc etc. Failing that, drawing from the wealth of knowledge on here, which kits are the best in Oz, love the look of the Classic revival but have heard their a nightmare to build? Many thanks everyone
Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl.wright View Post
love the look of the Classic revival but have heard their a nightmare to build?
Welcome to the mad house.

Dunno where you go the above comment from. I am no mechanic and mine went together really well. Rides and goes well too. Get lots a great feedback on the body shape and how it sits on the wheels etc etc.

There's lots of good kits in Aus, plently of threads here on various kits. Best thing is to visit your kit manufacturers in person and speak to a couple of people who have built one to get the low down.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 11-06-2010, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Welcome. Also look at Harrison as they have the option of an extended body length and are pretty easy to assemble. Warwick Harrison is a very nice guy to deal with and has had all the necessary pre-testing on the chassis already done. Not sure which state you are in but there are Harrisons in all states that could be viewed.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Welcome!

Not sure where you heard that a CR is hard to build - certainly not the case.

If I was going to do another one a new style CR would be at the top of the list. The Harrison is a good bit of gear too.

I think that the State you are in makes a difference too, it is good to have backup not too far away.

Ben
Old 11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hi there MDL.
I too wonder where you heard teh CR was "a nightmare to build"
I have the older version (same as Bens) and think it was no harder than any other brand.

Here are some links to some threads you may want to read up on.
Best Oz Kit Poll

First Cobra shopping...

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     

Having built 3 cobra cars, currently on a UK RamSC, I picked that due to the Reynard designed chassis, which I hope when finished is a significant improvement over the old ladder designed chassis on the track, i have also all alloy running gear so that should help. Regarding certification for the road it hasnt been a problem here in NZ a few hurdles though!

If I was wanting another after this one I would buy a nice Kirkham etc I dont know what the Dax is like I think originally my cars body mold was taken from a Dax, there is another UK cobra with a strong box style race style chassis the Gardner Douglas.
From my experience if you a bit fussy etc the cost nowadays far outweighs what you might sell a cobra for, I have a nascar based engine, Jerico five speed, AP brakes and on it goes, mine has no comparison to a run of the mill cobra. If I was doing it again and originality didnt matter I wouldnt hesitate to use the GM LS7 engine to keep it simple as with my the inlet manifold I have some bonnet issues to make my air filtering design difficult. I have gone to great lengths to make the interior original and some other areas which i think is the the first area people look at, if you do your own design dashboard and it varies a bit from the original in my opinion they look like second rate.

Having said that if you make a nice job and keep the car for a few years then it probably doesnt get better than that!!!

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 11-06-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Old 11-06-2010, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies so far, hope I didnt offend the CR owners I just heard they were harder to build than others, although Im glad you all think otherwise as its possibly my favourite so far. The chassis looks great and their not too far from me. How did you all get on with registering the cars, from what I can work out, as long as I stick to a modern engine (LS3 I'm thinking) shouldn't have too many dramas and no side pipes? (what a shame). Can't wait to place my order, expect to see me on here with a heap of questions soon!!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Talk to an engineer.
There is a really big question mark black hole in NSW at the moment.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

The CR and Harrison body moulds are similar I am told but I think the Harrison has some extra moulding around the doors, but maybe CR has that too. I recall a post of Mikes about all his door moulding? Ur height and size may also be an issue in some cars. Do go to some Club meetings and sit in some, if you haven't already.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     

Reading here in this post " no side pipes have they banned sidepipes?

the ADR basically specifies that exhaust gas cannot exit to passenger side of any vehicle. How do motorcycles and LHD cars comply with that stupid regulation man you have worse idiots than we have here in NZ.

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 11-07-2010 at 12:07 AM..
Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you are in Sydney you are welcome to drop around to see my CR. The next couple of weeks my car will be at the trimmers though.

I am in the Hills area.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks beejay, might just take you up on that. Going to be up that way in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mdl, where are you located?

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-07-2010, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Im in Canberra (somebody has to be!)
Old 11-07-2010, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LOL, we wont hold that against you.
There are a few Canberra members in here, some may chime in so you can see how you fit in one.

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-07-2010, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Make a list. See the cars being made, speak to those who made them, drive one to make sure you fit, speak to the manufacturer and ensure u can work with them and make sure they can be registered in your state.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

I think if I were going for an Australian kit I would be looking at the recommended parts list supplied to complete the kit.

I would be looking for relatively contemporary parts - so that I could source them reliably.

I would also be looking at the finish of the raw product - Plums example is a good one

G-Force I think

Starting with a good body/chassis combo means its a lot less time/money to complete to a higher standard.

You'll also notice the dish on the rear of the above car vs. the CR. The CR has much less dish and that's the way modern cars are - which some prefer.

Good Luck with your search

LoBelly
Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Hi MDL, PM sent
Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some good points Lobelly.

Bear in mind that the newer style CR has a different rear end now, and has more dish on the rear wheels.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 11-08-2010, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
Some good points Lobelly.

Bear in mind that the newer style CR has a different rear end now, and has more dish on the rear wheels.

Cheers,

Ben
You're right Ben my CR is the new one which has more dish. rgds Gregg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: