Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-21-2010, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Heater switches and gear

G'day All

Just chasing leads for heater related gear.

Am trying to source a neat set of electrically operated switches for the dash to manage air speed, heat level and blow direction for the heater.

Have seen the Vintage air three knob controls and am being told these integrate to a climate control systems rather than as manual controls. Am yet to properly check this out with a local provider but any comment on this would be great.

Equally does anyone know of an equivalent dash control system?

I want it to be neat, compact and would prefer it in a metal finish over a plastic version.

I also need to find an electrically operated heater tap and some form of motor drive to actuate the heater box air flow control for demist or cabin airflow choice.

Any pointers and comments would be appreciated on this gear.

Cheers
Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

I also need to find an electrically operated heater tap and some form of motor drive to actuate the heater box air flow control for demist or cabin airflow choice.

Steve most of the OEM use vacuum I think, but don't quote me. Also have a look on
this site http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/. You'll find it pretty useful I think.
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 11-22-2010, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Slowly, what's with all the luxury options?! Manual heater tap and closable vents should do the trick. Manual tap also gives you an excuse to open the bonnet and admire the goods.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Now don't you start Paul - Slowly is only related to the speed of my rebuild.

Doesn't help for example that I'm typing this in Adelaide!!

Anyway I was going to run choke style pull levers but after seeing Stiff's Vintage Air console set up in his Daytona and as I'm getting my sparky back to correct a few details I might as well go electric. Also the length of the choke pull was going to have a couple of silly looking fittings on the dash.

I have spied one electric tap but I need to sort the dash fixture first I think.

Anyone else seen useful fittings?
Old 11-22-2010, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

surely you just need any electric solenoid water valve? Or are you talking about a variable tap?
Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmm Modena what really is the difference?

I'm looking for a variable tap so I can dial up any heat range from off to full on.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

A 12 V solenoid (bang/bang solenoid) will be open/close. The variable tap would be variable in opening as Modena suggests.
To get variable 2 options would be,
a) A PWM solenoid (pulse width modulation)
b) stepper motor with a driver circuit.

Hopefully there is something in use already out there to suit you, else it's going to take a lot of stuffing round to make it/ mount it/ make it work and look good.
Is it an option to get some vac actuators off an old umm?? XF or such heater box and adapt them?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To be honest I've no idea how the vacuum versions work never played with them. Wouldn't know where to plumb into the AU motor for this too though I'm assuming it wouldn't bethat hard.

But I've set up my plumbing above the passengers right leg in the cockpit next to the heater box. Plan to eventually make a cover to close this all off but need to get it in place first.

Have seen a motorised version of the tap I have but don't know if it is variable or two position actuation.

Anyone know of a variable electric option from a standard car? Or do they all use vacuum for simplicity and cost reasons?
Old 11-22-2010, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have a look here, http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...448&KW=ckeeler
Plenty of clues.
The red dot site has a pdf, but the whole show is a little dodgy to navigate.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some handy louvres, vents, ducts etc (incl air and electric taps) here at red dot. Useful for others too I hope. http://www.rdac.com/Pages/catalog/Ecat/Ecat/72.pdf
Old 11-22-2010, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Anyone know of a variable electric option from a standard car? Or do they all use vacuum for simplicity and cost reasons?
a) no
b) what other reason would there be?

Some of the more high tech? items that control things can be found in tractors and trucks moreso than common cars. For eg. with a good cab tractor it will have an HVAC box in the roof, that makes running a choke cable setup less reliable if they want the controls down near you, so, go electric and make it easy. Doesn't add much to the already $250 K plus tractor. From memory the TVT tractors had 7 onboard computers/ controllers, so theres no trouble finding brain power to drive whatever they concieve.
Cars are naturally more mass produced and cost sensitive, so simple plastic switches and cheap vac servos keep us happy as consumers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: