Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

there's an LS2 on ebay at the moment, the guy also has a venom chassis for sale....
Old 12-07-2010, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

boxhead go to my club pics i have 10 pics on there of a venom motor sport of mine being built when i have more i will put them up for all to see
sorry i don't know how to post them im only a chippy not computor savy
Old 12-07-2010, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Question A few questions will help.

If you intend to buy a (kit ) loose word.
You may want to ask for a few things you will need to get it registered . Well in Queensland anyway other states vary on what is required.
1 Beam and torsion test.
2 Fiberglass test
3 Lane change test
4 Bump steer test.
5 Door intrusion bar specs.
6 Brake test.
7 Seat belt mounts approved .
8 Steering system approved. The list goes on.

Normally a Kit manufacturer will have approvals supplied by an engineer for their kits which copies are supplied when you buy a kit.
The Engineer does not accept its Ok mate.
The big question has already been asked how many are registered? If lots then you are generally can buy with knowledge that you can get yours registered.

I don't think anything could more heart breaking than spending hundreds or hours building a cobra and not being able to register it .
The first thing i would do is contact an approved engineer and talk to Him/Her about the kit and the requirements for building then registering the kit.
Ozvenom (no affiliation)

Last edited by OZVENOM; 12-07-2010 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Spelling and gramar.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZVENOM View Post
If you intend to buy a (kit ) loose word.
You may want to ask for a few things you will need to get it registered . Well in Queensland anyway other states vary on what is required.
1 Beam and torsion test.
2 Fiberglass test
3 Lane change test
4 Bump steer test.
5 Door intrusion bar specs.
6 Brake test.
7 Seat belt mounts approved .
8 Steering system approved. The list goes on.

Normally a Kit manufacturer will have approvals supplied by an engineer for their kits which copies are supplied when you buy a kit.
The Engineer does not accept its Ok mate.
The big question has already been asked how many are registered? If lots then you are generally can buy with knowledge that you can get yours registered.

I don't think anything could more heart breaking than spending hundreds or hours building a cobra and not being able to register it .
The first thing i would do is contact an approved engineer and talk to Him/Her about the kit and the requirements for building then registering the kit.
Ozvenom (no affiliation)
I have a Venom kit, and the first thing anyone buying ANY kit should ask all of these questions to the engineer you intend on utilising, plus a few more. Whilst other kits may be further up the road in regards to development and R+D, given the oddities of the Australian regulations and differences State to State, I would do this regardless of which kit i bought.

I have seen this kit pass the torsional and bending test, viewed the report, then ran a FEA on the chassis to confirm the results on a computer in CAD. I spoke to the Engineer about his opinion of the kit, as I was his customer and is indepentant the manufacturer, and he was happy.

I recommend looking into the ADR's and was told by my engineer that which ADR's were applicable, which documents that were required, and he was impressed that I walked in with the document that he used to sign off the car.

Those interested and playing at home VSB14 is the guide that the engineer uses, and details all the requirements.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa.../vsb_ncop.aspx

It even has the checklist he'll use to sign off.

I'm sure all of the people on this forum can attest to the traps of the ADR's whether its headlights not E stamped, to CAT's and emissions testing to torsional rigidity, seats, and from what my engineer said the next big one is steering wheel ADR application. My advice to them is ask the engineer, its his or her call, not a long winded post/s on a forum.

Nathan
Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

But Nathan, does the "kit" come with this report or does each individual have to organise there own?

If you have to get all these yourself then your definatly better of $$$$ wise buying elsewhere with a suppllier who supplies them.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 12-07-2010 at 03:36 PM..
Old 12-07-2010, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
But Nathan, does the "kit" come with this report or does each individual have to organise there own?
Each organises his own. Again you get what you pay for, which is why i asked my engineer for his opinion (as they had just tested one).

From what he says he's trying to get them all approved, but i'll submit mine uniquely. From what my engineer told me, if i took a pre-tested one then they'd still test it anyway, as the engine, suspension, and dash/footwells all contribute to the torsional rigidity. Whether thats the case with all engineers and/or kits I have no idea, but thats what my engineer wants, and in Vic there is only a few still doing ICV's.

Nathan
Old 12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

That seems a lot of work to have to do every time? Mine came with all the certificates of approval already attached in the Build Manual. It puts a high level of responsibility on to the engineer and the builder. Maybe this is the kind of change that the ICV sector needs to promote in Australia to make the approval and registration of these cars less traumatic and more standardised.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Nathan (Sevenohms) - who are you using as your engineer?

I always maintain that there are 3 sides to every story.
Your side, their side & the truth and often (not always) the truth lies in the middle.

Thus far, my dealings with Dave at Venom although limited, have been pleasant and amicable, I haven't a bad word to say.
Best wishes to those who have venom kits & may those who have been burnt in the past, recover to greener pastures.

Cheers,
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

As has been said many many times from people who have been there done that.
Saving a couple of grand at the start is not allways the best plan, the "kit" cost is a very small margin of the total cost.
And a more thorough kit may save you a butt load of time (car on the road sooner) which may save your sanity, may save your marriage (wife will always wonder where all this money is going yet no car completed).

Good luck to those who have this kit in there shed, maybe you can band together and get a chassis passed with an engineer that will then sign off on other chassis from same supplier?

I know this is how CR, DRB, Harrison & G-Force sell a kit (and no doubt others - I only know these from when I was researching which kit to start with).

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 12-07-2010 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, VE L98 + T56
Not Ranked     

I am not too sure of the guys knowledge of passing engineering, I purchased a couple of fibreglass seat shells from him, for installation after engineering, and when asking about what he does for head restraints, he said I could "fit them to the roll bar" and it would pass, I doubt any engineer in Australia would pass that!
CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

It would be really nice to see pictures of anybody's kit in any stage of their build. It feels like years since someone has posted any pictures in detail showing us some new way to overcome problems they've encountered. As far as the grief given to some of the guy's that are in the Cobra industry or just someone building a car, some of them deserve what they get and some deserve more!
If there is someone out there that doesn't agree with me it's easy.... go fu#k yourself!

Regards.

Last edited by Mando; 12-08-2010 at 04:21 AM..
Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovationinnov View Post
boxhead go to my club pics i have 10 pics on there of a venom motor sport of mine being built when i have more i will put them up for all to see
sorry i don't know how to post them im only a chippy not computor savy
Had a look in there, good to see more pics but a little hard to see as they are so small.
Do you have the kit at home as it looks to be like pics are during the frame assy stage?

Would be great if some of these new builders would run a thread of there builds.
No matter what kit you have, as Mando has mentioned. The build threads are the most informative and enjoyable ones.

Cruising in 5th

Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mando View Post
as far as the grief given to some of the guy's that are in the cobra industry .......................some of them deserve what they get and some deserve more!
If there is someone out there that doesn't agree with me it's easy.... Go fu#k yourself!

Regards.

:lol::lol:..that's PURE GOLD....:lol:

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

There are 'Cobras' in Australia that range from scratch builds to what might better described as 'component' cars such as the DRB 540. The more that the components are pre-approved, the easier and faster the build and the subsequent engineering approval. One makes a choice, pays the money and does the necessary work. As Baz's case has shown it is getting difficult to get ANY car registered in some states.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
It would be really nice to see pictures of anybody's kit in any stage of their build. It feels like years since someone has posted any pictures in detail showing us some new way to overcome problems they've encountered. As far as the grief given to some of the guy's that are in the Cobra industry or just someone building a car' some of them deserve what they get and some deserve more!
If there is someone out there that doesn't agree with me it's easy.... go fu#k yourself!

Regards.
I agree, there seems to be so much *****ing and banter but hardly any posts about building cars. Definately like to see more posts like Boxheads 540 build and what people are working on instead of arguing over what kits better and who did what to whom 10 years ago.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
... who did what to whom 10 years ago.
It continues from all reports,and yes if it was all bad the guy would be gone!!....so you just screw the ones you believe you can........and the fact the guy cannot hold a good ebay rating(WHICH IS NOT TO HARD TO DO if your doing the right thing!!!!after 10 yrs I've managed it....418 transactions) and why does feel the need to change his seller name AGAIN????

....it says that those that have had bad dealings with him will continue to have a dig...

Well as for the SPELLING..

....he's quite aware of what goes on here......simply he could put it to bed if he went to the trouble of mending those relationships..but are there just too many of them??
... have an open house /shed run...and actually have the balls to address the issue and you may well see a some of those opinions put to bed!!!

m2cw

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 12-08-2010 at 05:02 AM..
Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Mando for Priminister.

If you don’t like his policys then GO FU$K YOURSELF.

You have my vote

Phil
Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another vote here.

Cruising in 5th

Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Thanks Phil but I thought they were talking about you. Plus I didn't realize you could read!

Regards.

Last edited by Mando; 12-08-2010 at 04:04 PM..
Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Nathan (Sevenohms) - who are you using as your engineer?

I always maintain that there are 3 sides to every story.
Your side, their side & the truth and often (not always) the truth lies in the middle.

Thus far, my dealings with Dave at Venom although limited, have been pleasant and amicable, I haven't a bad word to say.
Best wishes to those who have venom kits & may those who have been burnt in the past, recover to greener pastures.

Cheers,
I'm using Enkelmans, have been pretty good to deal with, if I have a question of any nature I just email them and they send back a reply. They seem flexible as long as you have thought about it a bit, copy oem styles/parts, that sort of thing. I'd think all engineers are ok to deal with how do this (they like cars or else they wouldnt be doing it) but they always want to know and guide you before, not listen to you complain after!

Nathan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: