Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
Brendan, what state are you in?
Hey Brendan jump in any time.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Cobber* View Post
Why buy tyres from the US....? they are half price and do the same job.
I am not sure what point you are trying to get across Cobber.

Almost all tyres are not made in the US or Oz, and are identical wherever you buy them.

I am happy to be proved wrong on the kits, I just think that the savings to be had from importing a kit are not justified when you look at the extra costs and time to make everything comply.

Ben
Old 02-04-2011, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

We don't manufacture Cobra replicas, but I have personally built/owned quite a few local/imported Cobra kits.

As mentioned previously, it is really important which state you are going to register the Cobra in. Requirements can vary greatly from state to state, overall the eastern states are the most thorough and restrictive in requirements.

So even if your Cobra kit is Australian made, it still might not have the basic certification paperwork required for registration in your state.

And if you make significant changes, these may require additional certification.

Remember it is all about safety, I believe we have the safest kit cars in the world due to our regulations.

If you look at the basic chassis/body/suspension package you could be required to provide the following certification documentation(just expanded Merv's list):

* Torsion and Beaming Certification for Chassis. Needs to be performed to state guidelines. We seem unique in our requirements here, overseas tests will not be performed to the same requirements.

* Fibreglass Body Tests - Flexure, Hardness, Tensile.

* Certification for anti-intrusion bars

* Lane Change Test - required for each unique suspension configuration/construction.

* Fabricated Suspension Components Certification, this should also include suspension mount points in chassis. If there is any welded steel components, also certification for any welds or by examination.

* Seat Belt Mount Certification.

* Seat Mount Certification.

* Suspension Bump Steer Certification.

* Internal Bumper Bars.

* Door Hinge & Mount Certification.

* Door Striker Mount Certification.

* Etc.

And then you move onto the smaller stuff like can the doors/chassis be easily fitted with compliant door latches, are steering components unmodified, if not will require certification etc.

Also with a Cobra kit make sure you can fit an underbody exhaust, you can only crank the suspension height so much. And there will be a sweet spot where the suspension works as required, the manufacture will be able to advise this height. Or you can run the exhaust out where the side pipes normally go and then back underneath and out the rear. Just use suitable heatshields and it should be compliant.

As hinted at previously, most owners of Aussie kits don't even realise all the registration requirements as their engineer has already familiar with their kit brand.

The kits we sell are based off a USA kit, but each of our supplied kits has 100's of changes/additonal parts compared to the USA parent kits. Plus we have a folder of certification documents for each kit.

Buying overseas has it's rewards at current exchange rates, but just do it with your eyes open. Do your research thoroughly. Good luck with it.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Very useful for future reference Craig, as this topic comes up often.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Id be curious to hear "Albany cobra"'s thoughts having privately imported and complied (without too much difficulty) a factory 5 in WA - although it looks like the thread author hasnt been back.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Id be curious to hear "Albany cobra"'s thoughts having privately imported and complied (without too much difficulty) a factory 5 in WA - although it looks like the thread author hasnt been back.
Andrew, that would certainly help fellow WA people interesting in importing.

Not really much help to people in most of the other states though as the requirements for registration are much more restrictive.

Problem is we have federal ADR's, but the ICV compliance process and requirements are controlled by the state where the vehicle is first registered.

With the money being offered by the mines and the fact you can register a Cobra in WA with live side pipes...there is a good argument for making the move to the west.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I was gunna put mine on a train to my bro in Perth - what could go wrong

Old 02-04-2011, 03:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My brother had a full container of goods being sent from WA to QLD via rail for work. The train derailed and they recovered the damaged goods. They only recovered a handful of goods, the rest had disappeared. Probably sold at the local pub.

True story.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you can't register an Australian kit in Australia you have problems. I suspect the problems are not with the kit.

If I was in the kit car industry I would be making sure I can put food on the table next year and get usable regulations for the whole country so I could sell my kits.

UK SVA regulations work and are safe with a thriving kit car industry in the UK. Dax have been around for a very long time with a well sorted kit.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...cle/DG_4022105

I would have no issue importing a reputable UK or US kit.

It's amazing what you an buy in pubs.....

Last edited by *Cobber*; 02-04-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Old 02-05-2011, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax 427, LS7, 571bhp, Tremec 6 Speed TR6060 Magnum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Read
Not Ranked     

[quote=Brendan@Aus;1106000]Hi there,

Hi Brendan,

You'll see from my "sidepipe ban" thread that I've just built a Dedion Dax 427 (pictures above on the camera button) and have been thinking of bringing it to Australia later this year when I migrate out to Adelaide ... the replies on your thread have been interesting as they address the issues involved for me as well.

If you do decide to go for a Dax, and have any questions about the kit, or need help dealing with DJ Sportscars in the UK (I've built both a Dax Rush and the 427 so I know a bit about their products and they know me) please feel free to ask me.

Regards, Mike
Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
If you can't register an Australian kit in Australia you have problems. I suspect the problems are not with the kit.
Yes, it would be ideal if that was the case. Unfortunately because the kit is made here doesn't mean it is compliant to register in all states. It all depends on the manufacturers product and the testing performed. Some manufacturers have performed a lot of certification work, others very little.

Quote:
UK SVA regulations work and are safe with a thriving kit car industry in the UK. Dax have been around for a very long time with a well sorted kit.
Yes, the UK IVA(was SVA) regulations are excellent, well documented and well executed in what I have seen. Because of the excellent documentation suppliers of both kits and individual parts can inform customers whether the items are IVA compliant or not.

Last edited by 400TT; 02-05-2011 at 09:28 PM..
Old 02-08-2011, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default imports

Well buy one and find out . The ones who say go for it do not have one . but do not ring any of the gready local builders for help .
Warwick.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree. The Dax looks an excellent kit.