Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-06-2011, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Another bloke needs a shed.

I thought I had started a thread but obviously not (atleast I could not find one).

As I have mentioned more than once, I am building a new bigger shed to house and play with my toys.
The new shed was deliverd some months ago as a kit.
After getting prices from all over the place I was almost set to buy a kit from Adelaide, buy a shipping container, load it in container and have it shipped up to me (would later use the container as Cobra storage attached to donga in front of block)
But then got onto a local supplier who came with a price on a shed supplied by Ranbuild http://www.ranbuild.com.au/ I initially was looking at the American barn style shed, but the thought of internal pillars and car doors did not excite me.
Also the cost of the barn style was actually more that a flat sided (but taller) shed.

So in the end I ordered a 12m x 16m kit with 4.6m wall heights, 11 degree roof pitch.
The plan all along was to put a mezzanine at the back of shed over the centre bay (approx 4mx6m), with a 4t 2 post hoist in the bay infront of this mezzanine.
The mezzanine may now cover 2 bays and be 8x6 in south eastern corner so I can easily drop plastic sheet down as a spray booth.
Cars that go in booth will either be on those wheel dollies (I have a set) or on build bench (which is also on wheels same as rotiserie)

After checking with some builders in town I kept getting 1 of 2 answers "too small for us to build" or "to big for me to do".
A new edition of local phone book came out just after Christmas and about 2 weeks ago I grabbed it and saw an add for "shed assembler", I gave him a call and he came out for a look on a Saturday, he quoted $1500 per bay ($6k total) and said he can start in about 3 - 4 weeks, we shook hands and deal was done.
He then said he had no plans for the next day (Sunday I went car hunting) so he said he would come out, rip out remaining tree stumps I could not remove (he has 5t bobcat) and level the site, true to his word he did this.

Since ordering the kit I have been planning, moving wrecks and building hiding spots.

Ok now for some pics.
This is my property as it stood before shed plans took effect.

You can see the current shed is teh large silver square in lower centre, it is 12mx8m with awning along northern 12m length (awning is approx 4.5 metres deep) (silver square under writting is neighbours house - fence line is black line above writting)

Here is a pic with where new shed will go.

The green line is a 2 metre high fence I have put up to hide my donors and trailer.

Here is what I started with, donor cars where hidden behind tin fence but had to be moved as this is where the new shed goes.

The current shed has a concrete walkway approx 800mm wide along the wall where the window is, the new shed will be built at the end of this walkway and the 2 sheds sheeted together (window wall sheeting taken out) and a double width walkway will join the 2 together, with shelving put up between the to sheds accesable from both sides.

This area between tree line and shed becomes storage area.

Old storage area.

Storage area half fenced off.

And here it is now after being cleared and leveled.

And here is the shed as delivered.

It has 3 roller doors at northern end (end facing trucks) with them being 3 metres high on ends and 4 metres in centre.

Now for a question. I did not buy insulation with the kit as they wanted about $2k more from memory, now that it is getting close to assembly time I better get some though, is the stuff in link following any good?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=320652469136
For ceilings and I may line the walls aswell, as I plan on adding paneling later.
Any thoughts?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Bit hard to tell Box as I went to the link and the item has been removed! At least that was the message that can up on my screen.
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

good stuff box, looks like it will be a monster.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Use anti-con insulation it will save you having to put up an extra lining. It is normally put up with a wire mesh to hold it in place before you put the sheets on. I used it in my shed and it works fantastic. The silver also reflects the light lot better. The sliding doors I used 25mm polystyrene with silver paper stuck over the top. The air conditioner now has no problem keeping the shed nice and cool and it completely stopped any condensation in the shed. There was a lot of the old roof insulation stuff going cheap after the govt roof insulation scam. The problem with using this is it will need to be lined after which may end up costing a lot more as well as being a lot more work. Have fun with the flat pack shed, keep us posted as I'm sure you will.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-06-2011, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Try this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:AU:1123

I got a reply from seller and he talked it up (as I would suspect he would).

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just bought 400 metres of this guy, hope it works ok.
Cost me $460 delievered to Alice Springs.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-08-2011, 03:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, T56.
Not Ranked     

you bought a good kit Box. We put up two kits last year, and i reckon the Ranbuild one is the pick of them insofaras ease of construction went. Your builder may try to talk you out of the insulating, but well worth doing.

Cheers.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The builder actually asked me what I was doing for insulation, He wanted to make sure I had it before he started assy, so he would not have to wait.

Certifiers paperwork went in today.
15 cubic metres of "Scalps"? is being delivered on Thursday lunch time (10 for shed and 5 for driveway) a truck holds 7.5 cubic metres, same deliver cost for 1 cubic metre or 7.5
I had not heard the word before, but apparently it is used under the slab as foundation rock?

Builder is meeting me at home just after noon on Saturday, he is spreading scalps, leveling site and digging foundation footings.
I put star pickets out tonight so I could get a scale of the shed and mark where I wanted scalps deposited, wow it is big.

Cruising in 5th

Last edited by boxhead; 02-08-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Old 02-08-2011, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, T56.
Not Ranked     

this one is 18x12 and 5.6 at the opening. should give you an idea.

Name:  scotts shed complete.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  36.7 KB
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After looking at shed area last night, then thinking about things later, I have decided on a slight change of locations for hoist.
I have decided hoist will not be in shed now, it will be in an area I had set aside as a "cleaning bay", it is still under cover, but has an open front and I can close in a high end (southern end) with semi clear polcarb sheeting to let light through.

In following pic it is in the red area.
I have also scaled the shed closer to actual size, and extended fence for donors.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Builder came out as promised at about 8am on Saturday, leveled it all off and has asked me to organise another load of scalps, to build up base to correct height.

Not much to look at but all exciting for me.
The area that you can see grass in the lower R/H of picture is where hoist area will be.

This picture is taken from the verandah on our house, looking toward shed.

And from opposite corner (can see house in background).

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Looking good David. The shed'll be hollerin' distance from the house "David, your tea's on the table!"

Is that bus making it's way down your drive?

Cheers

Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The bus, Hmmm, lets see.
Well the bus has not moved in about 3 years. and before that it spent about 12 months in the position where caravan now is.
The overhead google view shows where it used to be.

But exciting news on the bus front, the owner is attempting to fire it up tonight.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

David looks an ideal storage area. Size is important!!
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 02-14-2011, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Builder was on site at about 6.30 this morning, footings being dug as we speak.
I just rang the certifiers, unfortunatly the guy who needs to sign paperwork is out of town and is not expected back until Friday/Monday.
So looks like I have to wait a week before anything more can happen.

Not happy about red tape right now.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-28-2011, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well the scissors have been out and the red tape (so far) has been cut, certifiers inspected yesterday and all ok.
Builder was onsite at 7am today and is mixing concrete to pour footings and locate brackets into the concrete.

I guess it will need a couple of days to set then the build starts in earnest.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-28-2011, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

you not putting down a slab box?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The slab is being poured after, to seal it from dust.

Cruising in 5th

Old 03-02-2011, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Came home to this last night.
[IMG]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/cobraboxhead/Shed/P10****7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/cobraboxhead/Shed/P10****8.jpg[/IMG]
So happy to see it going up.

Once completed and certified, I will be extending the old shed to join the new one, and the hoist will be going in the dirt section to the right of new shed (will have slab under it and roof over top), I like the idea of a heap of natural light and being able to use a gernie without having water throughout the shed.

Cruising in 5th

Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Come on Boxhead show us the pictures!

Regards.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: