Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I have recently seen two from the late 1990s that were stunning. One was a beautifully built Annaconda (see earlier thread). However, there are quite a few nationally that seem to come up on these pages.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

not sure but ICVs brought into NSW may still need to be re-engineered to get NSW registration. Does anyone know the ins and outs of this.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Personally I think the RTA delays will get sorted before too long, but certainly happy that my car was registered before all these changes.

The build and personalizing the car is half the fun!

Ben
Old 02-26-2011, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I agree with Ben, I think the industry and the public will have this issue sorted in the future (hope it is sooner rather than later).

Also shoot PhilM a message.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

I also agree 100% with Baz. That is what I did about 3 months ago and I've been able to drive a fully engineered, registered and roadworthy car around from the start. Gives me time to get some of the gremlins out of the chassis/brakes/suspension etc while we build up the stroker for it. Sure it looks like a bucket of nuts with a very ordinary paint job and interior but I will have every opportunity to strip it and put some things right with the benifit of having driven it in reality.

Now when you condsider that this costed less than 40K with a roadworthy.... I would think it very difficult to get an ICV on the road for anywhere near that, pretty paint or not.

Best of luck with your choice.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
I also agree 100% with Baz. That is what I did about 3 months ago and I've been able to drive a fully engineered, registered and roadworthy car around from the start. Gives me time to get some of the gremlins out of the chassis/brakes/suspension etc while we build up the stroker for it. Sure it looks like a bucket of nuts with a very ordinary paint job and interior but I will have every opportunity to strip it and put some things right with the benifit of having driven it in reality.

Now when you condsider that this costed less than 40K with a roadworthy.... I would think it very difficult to get an ICV on the road for anywhere near that, pretty paint or not.

Best of luck with your choice.
My total build budget is around $35k + engineering . I am on track to achieve that with an LS3 and T56. I havnt skimped on any parts (well accept my windscreen frame), but i have had the benifit of being able to do everything myself.

If you can find a registered cobra under $40k, it would be worth it. Not sure of current prices, but a rolling kit is probably around $20 odd k. My engineer has told me to budget up to $10k for compliance testing and inspections.

The good thing about building is that you can space the cost out over a few years and it is much more affordable.

The plaque on Baz's dash is an RTA requirement. They now require it on seat belts as well.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

[quote=Zedn;1112493]The good thing about building is that you can space the cost out over a few years and it is much more affordable.
[quote]

That is true, if you are happy to wait a few years. Each to their own.

Last edited by Toecutter; 02-27-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Old 02-27-2011, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

What is the best web site to view Australian cobras for sale?
Old 02-27-2011, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

www.carsales.com.au

www.ebay.com.au
Old 02-27-2011, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

And the Australian Kit Car magazine and Snake Tales

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

Also try Unique Cars mag, there's about half a doz in there.

No vested interest at all, but, there's a 'turnkey' Harrison that was built by Warrick located in Lennox Head for sale in the mag. I just happened to be in the factory when the owner and almost completed car were there about 2 years back. It can't have done many KM.......that's why it caught my eye in the mag.........Really nice looking car with no expense spared I'd guess, 5.7l LS1, 6 speed.
He's asking $90K, it'd probably owe him 120+....it's been in the mag at least 3 times though..........
Old 02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

If you want a good NSW registered CR check out this one: http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...aspx?R=6713255

It's a nice build, it's actually the chassis just before mine.

Cheers

Old 02-27-2011, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Nice car that one Mike.

That is Sloth, member on CC here

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Beauies - on the other thread there is this one that seems good value in NSW: http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...eot=1&__N=1216

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

Thanks Merv and Mike,
I just finished reading both those ads, very tidy cars.
Still keen to build my own, but want to see how Baz goes.
My concern is if i buy a second hand one that it will cost me a small fortune to change colours, motor and box.
Really would like to throw one together myself if the RTA will let me.
Saying that if one turns up that ticks most boxes i will jump at it.
Thanks for the heads up about the ads
beauies
Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good luck Beauies. The journey of building is a great one.

However, don't underestimate the real costs of building and how little difference, if any, there can be from buying a registered one. If the right purchase of a well-built, registered car was made there could be little to do, except change the colour, and that is not expensive, given that the preparation from the raw mould is not needed. Other desired changes could be made over a longer period. For a NSW car this would remove the expense, delay and frustration of compliance.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3508 6Litre LS2
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
Good luck Beauies. The journey of building is a great one.

However, don't underestimate the real costs of building and how little difference, if any, there can be from buying a registered one. If the right purchase of a well-built, registered car was made there could be little to do, except change the colour, and that is not expensive, given that the preparation from the raw mould is not needed. Other desired changes could be made over a longer period. For a NSW car this would remove the expense, delay and frustration of compliance.
Bauies,

I agree with Merv's comments, I've put any major spending on the back burner waiting to see how Baz (RTA) goes BUT I'm still enjoying the build process. I must admit I check out any "Cobra for sale" adds I come across, just in case.

Dennis
Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, T56.
Not Ranked     

Beauies,

Take a closer look at my car.

It is professionally built with low kms. no expense was spared in the build and with a removeable body would not cost much to repaint. The motor would be good for a lot of HP with just a tune. Comes with a tandem car trailer as well.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hmmm
Maybe a Harrison cobra that has passed engineering for Queensland (has vin)but not yet registered or painted may fill the bill for someone
Old 03-05-2011, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sloth, very nice car.
What rear end has been used?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: