Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up DB Hardtop

As many of you know, I've imported a Le Mans style hardtop from DB Replicas in the UK. Many thanks to Dave (owner of DB), the hardtop landed in one piece - the 200kg packing crate was a work of art in itself!

I'd really like to keep this thread on track as an informative discussion on the hardtop and its fitment to my car. If you have any questions about if/when I will organise a mould of the hardtop, please PM me for now.

I ordered the kit as specified on the DB website above. It arrived just under 2 weeks after I wired the money, which was an excellent turnaround. Dave has answered countless emails along the way and we spoke on the phone a few times - I couldn't have asked for a better experience, Dave is "a top bloke" and certainly passionate about Cobras.

Here is a bad camera photo taken in a hurry on Saturday of the hardtop sitting on a Kenmer body, which is derived from a Dax - same as the DB kit and from which the Harrison is derived.

The roof needs to be extended for the Kenmer kit and also my Harrison, roughly 50-80mm depending on which kit and also the windscreen rake. The important thing is that the hardtop fits the curves over the rear guards and across the boot very nicely. Boot opening and width across the doors is near perfect.

Dave kindly supplied the side window materials in oversized lengths to allow me to get the right fit once the roof is extended. The toughened rear glass is just like a factory item, with blacked out edges and an embedded heater element. The rear tailgate latch and side windows come with locks, and all fittings and latches are top quality. A three piece fibreglass hoodlining is suppled and the tailgate hinges are a feature instead of an afterthough. It's really hard to fault the kit in any way.

Here's a summary of some key measurements I published on another thread:
  • The hardtop is delivered on a crate that is about 1.7m long, 1.5m wide and 0.75m tall, all up weight including the crate is around 200 kilos.
  • The width of the top behind the doors is 1360mm.
  • The width across the screen (about half way up) is 1257mm.
  • The measurement across the boot lid at a point around 254mm forward of the rear registration number light cannot be more than 800mm otherwise the lid will not open between the sides of the hardtop tailgate latches.
  • Along the top of the door, the distance from B-pillar to base of screen is 765mm, however my Harrison measures 840mm. This means chopping/extending the roof or reshaping the roof behind the door opening to gain another 70-80mm, plus making the side windows and frames a bit longer.
I'll post more photos and details here when I get a chance. Meanwhile here is a collection of photos of the finished hardtop in action, for those who missed it elsewhere.

http://s376.photobucket.com/albums/o...amps8/Hardtop/

Needless to say I'm taking a week off work very soon!

Paul
Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB (australia)
Not Ranked     

Hey Sambo, I am also looking at getting one of Daves tops, for the DBR, what was the cost for importation if I can ask, Please keep me posted, I think his tops are tops, that sounded weird,Cheers---Mic
Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mic, air freight to Melbourne airport was 800 GBP. You have a PM. Choice bro!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey thanks Paul, I should have scrolled down further on the site to get the answer, I would love to know if the curves for your car, are similar to the DRB, for mounting---Mic
Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

P.S. you got the kiwi lingo perfect bro, sweet---Mic
Old 03-21-2011, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Hey GREAT THREAD Paul......Super
Sounds like a dream purchase through Dave,the way they all should be.
Thanks for going to the trouble of posting all the measurements, a terrific amount of info!!!
Looking forward to seeing the finished item!!

Hope it all goes well!!!
OZ...

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-21-2011, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Oz. I see from the number plates on your HSV that you're a Tigers supporter - good man!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
Thanks Oz. I see from the number plates on your HSV that you're a Tigers supporter - good man!
First time I drove into Punt Road all the boys paid it a visitI'm Friends with one of the old board members and he dragged them out and said "this is what you'll be drive'n if we win a flag!!...still the only one at Punt Rd !!!
You can add me to that ever growing list of yours!!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-21-2011, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

That is a great looking top, you must be rapt.
How is it fixed to the body and screen?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Paul....
Paul....

That is one bluddy awful looking hardtop ... in fact it's not a hard top at all ....It's a fast back thingy .... since when did a cobra have one of them on em.

Typical made in pommy land junk.

Only joking. I'm as jealous as **** Paul. Better yet, I'm rapt the quality is as we expected. Very bluddy nice.

Last edited by Rebel1; 03-21-2011 at 04:54 AM..
Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Gav, thanks. It fits to the screen using bows and latches similar to a soft top. There are four bolts machined down and threaded on the inside that sit in the body and act as ferrules. The hardtop is screwed down into these at four points roughly at each corner of the roof. I'll post some photos after Winton, when my car and hardtop are finally united!
Old 03-21-2011, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Paul,

The Main rear window Black edging steps up at the top is this for improved rear vision or provision for mounting a high mount stoplight from Dave???

OZ

Your going to get sick of typing!!!

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 03-21-2011 at 04:51 AM..
Old 03-21-2011, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Paul....
Paul....

That is one bluddy awful looking hardtop ... in fact it's not a hard top at all ....It's a fast back thingy .... since when did a cobra have one of them on em.

Only joking. I'm as jealous as **** Paul. Better yet, I'm rapt the quality is as we expected. Very bluddy nice.
Thanks Les (I think!). Dave informs me that the hardtop was moulded from an original 1963 AC, pictured below. More original cars with hardtops here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZCOBRA View Post
The Main rear window Black edging steps up at the top is this for improved rear vision or provision for mounting a high mount stoplight from Dave???
No idea mate, I have only spent about 30 mins looking at the hardtop and although I did notice that contour, I haven't removed the rear glass from the plastic yet. Will let you know when I've had a proper look - next week. Unless Dave chimes in.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Dave's rendition has always been, and remains the best looking and best proportioned top I've seen.

I thought all the talented auto gents had been exported to countries far removed from England.

The side windows are ingenious.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Sambo - you may have already seen this hardtop of Allen's (Fullchat289)?
If not, here's the link...
Ownership Log – ERA#2124
Cheers,
Glen
Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Glen, yes I have seen Mr Bruce's work - very nice. I went for the DB hardtop for a few reasons: the shape is a little more "right" to my eye, no need for the split boot, toughened rear glass with tailgate and heater element, no need to relocate fuel neck, etc. Not taking away from the other one though, just my personal preference.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Hey Sambo,

Top looks awesome. Brucey does have a opening hatch option and the filler is only relocated in that one due to the placement on a 289. 427 no need to relocate. Im guessing that ERA is going for a period correct look with the split boot. There were some shots in another thread on that top and with a pic of an original in the pits and it looked spot on.

Cheers
Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DB427SC. 289FIA. COUPE. Round tube, Aluminium body, 427FE
Not Ranked     

Jees you guy get excited easy.

My top originally had a recess in it for the filler cap but it interfered with the drivers (RHD) roll hoop, so it had to go. Plus I never intended to for the top to anything other than a Dax which is a 427 shape anyway and the fuel filler cap sunk into the rear wing is a popular option anyway over here.

I have been in talks with Bruce regarding his top and trying to find a way to supply him with glass rear screens, the shipping charges are rediculous though for small quantities so the US guys need to all jump up with orders to make it worth his while.

Hopefully Sambo can get some interest in Oz and then he can make a few to help recoup some of his costs.

Top man Sambo for sticking you neck out and "Going for it". I wish you every success in producing your own version.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I have spoken to Bruce quite a fee times, he has 3 different tops available.
He has a 'bubble' top, the LeMans style with no rear hatch and the LeMans with the hatch and side windows.
Both LeMans tops are from a mould flopped from an original 289 FIA 'LeMans' car, he quoted me the CSX number but I have forgotten.
The DB top from the looks comes alot more complete, but is dearer.
Both are a great looking top!