Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     
Default VE ute vs VE sedan suspension for CR kit

Hi guys,

Looking at getting some parts ready for the coming build. I have decided to go with a CR Kit. Can anyone tell me for sure if the rear lower control arms, trailing arms, knuckle and tie rod are different from the VE ute to the VE sedan.
As i seem to be able to get the complete rear cradle cheaper out of a wrecked ute than a sedan.

thanks Brad
Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

to be sure, I'd be calling a Holden dealer and comparing part numbers....
Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

G'Day Brad,
The structure is the same but some of the included parts are different depending on the model,
The diff ratios will be different between auto and manual and grades, SS Manual is 3.45:1 diff ratio, and autos are 3.2:1, omega is 3.2:1 and 2.92 for auto. HSV have 3.7:1 for manuals, SS and HSV are all LSD, everything else is optional,

Also, half shafts and CV's changed for the bigger at some time, Ian's half shafts suit the old 2006/7 models, but he is in the process of making up bigger diameters to suit the latest, i know....., i'm waiting for them now.
You need the CV joints from the existing half shafts included in the cradle assembly.

Also brakes are different, depending on the model, rears range from 302 to 324 on Holden range and bigger on the HSV's, but these wont fit on 17" rims or less.

The Tie Rod Arm also changed at some stage to a fixed length pressing, previously adjustable, see pic below, Holden don't sell the old part, only the replacement.

If you haven't bought your kit yet, don't be in a rush to get something that may not meet your needs, Skulk ebay, tradingpost, google, and some VE wreckers etc until the spec you want comes up or is being parted out of a suitable wreck, i wanted 3.7:1 lsd diff so watched for a month or so for a HSV car to pop up, mine came down from Dubbo, see below,
So make a list of what you want, find the appropriate model, and wait for it to come up,
hope this helps.

Try and get the handbrake cables as well, the wacker that removed mine cut them at the hubs to save time, they cost a fortune from GM.

Complete cradle less brakes and springs/shocks....ideal

Diff Ratio and details on Label

Required Arms and Knuckle, see adjustable Tie Rod on Right Hand Side

cheers
Old 04-11-2011, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

Great help Dave,
the one i have found doesnt have adjustable tie rods.

Modena, Rang Holden to check today but all they can tell me is the part numbers don't match on the lower arms, problem is that doesnt mean much could still be the same.

Would be interesting if they are different, especially if they are longer.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Brad,

The pressings are the same, only the bush hardness is different on the the lower arm and the control arm.

The ute lower arm bush mounted in the knuckle is also different, it is a straight rubber moulding with a bolt tube, where as the sedan has a rubberised version of a ball joint, it can swivel a few degrees.
cradle has a small bracket on it for mounting LSPV (load sensing proportioning valve) this bracket isnt fitted on the sedans but is on utes and sports wagons.

I was going to remove all my bushes and replace with Nolathane or Superpro or something as the VE's are renown for being a bit "squirmy". in the rear.

cheers
Old 04-11-2011, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hi Brad, I would recommend waiting for a 3.7 ratio (like Dave has managed to find) as mine is the 3.45 which is a bit too tall. Rgds Gregg
Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Using 17" wheels my Harrison has a 3.91 diff. Just cruises along in 6th at 2100rpm on the highway and generally can be left in 5th around the 'burbs.

Cheers

Last edited by Krait; 04-12-2011 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 04-11-2011, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks guys, i want the 3.7 ratio but, my thoughts at this stage is throw the car together with totally stock parts (unless something cheap turns up), try to get rego then replace as needed to reduce initial build time.

Dave thanks again for all the help and info.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3508 6Litre LS2
Not Ranked     

Holmart in Vic often have 3.7:1 holden diffs at a good price or sometimes pinion and ring gear to suit & upgrade a different ratio diff.

I started off with 2.97:1 if I remember corrctly but at the time I was desperate as VE rear ends were as rare as rocking horse poo.

try www.holmart.com.au they often have other parts as well.