Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-11-2011, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel tank fabrication project

Hi All,

I haven't been working on the car for a long time what with family and work commitments etc. I've finally got stuck back into it. I have to say I'm enjoying working on it.

My current project is to fabricate a new fuel tank and re do most of the fuel system. The original setup is complicated with a lift pump in a donor Commodore main tank feeding a swirl pot which then feeds a big pump for the injectors. It should be possible to do the whole thing with one tank and one pump and do it better.

So the plan is to fabricate a tank with an inbuilt swirl pot and one Bosch 044 pump. I also wanted it to be a better fit for the chassis and look nice from underneath. Also wanted the design to clean up the rear aerodynamics a little. A diffuser Scotty ran at the nationals one year got me thinking about this.

First I made up a pattern out of thin MDF sheet in the profile I wanted. This is a job that's so much easier with a hoist. I bought a sheet of 2.5mm aluminum to make the body of the tank a sheet of 1.6 to make the internal baffles.

With my pattern I marked out the sheet and then used the plasma cutter to slice up the sheet into the right shape. I don't have a guillotine but the plasma cuts aluminum sheet nice and you can use a straight edge to run it along.

Next I took the pieces down to see Chris at Tool Time Engineering. He folded up the basic pieces on their big hydraulic pan brake. If you need any fab work like this done give him a call as they do some awesome stuff in stainless, alloy etc. They have nice CNC press brakes and guillotines and their welders are first rate. Give Chris a call on 0411047775.

The car originally had a donor VN Commodore tank which worked OK but wasn't very pretty and a bit asymmetrical when you looked at it from the back. The new tank is built to fit in the space available.

I'm also not keen on seeing the tank hanging down at the back. This looks good on a Bathurst A9X Torana with a drop tank but not my cup of tea on a Cobra. The new tank is tucked up out of sight under the back.

The new tank should have plenty of capacity but still try to keep the weight centralized by having the bulk of the fuel volume closer to the rear axle. The slope upwards will also work with the removable diffuser.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 04-11-2011 at 10:12 PM..
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

That looks magic Mike. I'm getting close to doing my tank as well so this thread has given me an idea or two-so thanks
Rog

Harrison #100
Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rog,

I'll keep you posted as I progress.

Cheers

Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Nice work Mike,

Looking forward to the finished product. I love custom fab work.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, VE L98 + T56
Not Ranked     

Weren't you thinking of stainless Mike? What changed you mind?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After doing mine in stainless i would probably recommend Alloy. Stainless warps really bad and is a bugger to polish.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Tank looks nice, but why step down to 1.6 for the baffles?
Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went with alloy because I figured machining up all the fittings to weld to it would be a pain in stainless. Much more stuff available in aluminum in that department.

Usually when I buy materials like aluminum bar stock and sheet I buy extra because I know I'm going to use it in the future. I bought a couple of sheets of 2.5mm and a sheet of 1.6mm. I figured the baffles are only containing the fuel movement and adding a bit of bracing so don't need to be so thick and add extra weight. There will be quite a bit of baffling inside.

Cheers

Old 04-13-2011, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would use the 2.5 for the baffles as well, I have seen lots of tanks baffles come loose.
The 2.5 will all so weld better with less distortion.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Provided they are welded properly, 1.6 will be fine for baffles. If you have seen them come loose its likely they were not welded properly.

If the tank is 75ltrs, then the mass of the fuel is around 55kgs. If there is 2 baffles then there is 18kgs in each section when full. You will have to go around a corner pretty damn fast for that to rip 1.6mm apart, especially when it is welded on 3 or all 4 sides.

Mike not sure what your plan is but folding the edges of the baffles and welding them flat against the sides and bottom works well.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I could be thinking over kill I guess, we would never go less than 2.5 on all our race boats and car tanks, never had a problem with them but sure was asked to look at repairing a few others.
1.6 may be fine with some shape in the baffles

Last edited by cobrakiwi; 04-13-2011 at 04:39 AM..
Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Look this just has to said okay......
I was initially baffled at 1st,........... but now,..... this just makes sense !!

Harrison #100
Old 04-13-2011, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post
Well I could be thinking over kill I guess, we would never go less than 2.5 on all our race boats and car tanks, never had a problem with them but sure was asked to look at repairing a few others.
1.6 may be fine with some shape in the baffles
Yes the design will make a big difference. If they are butt welded they would be more likely to tear as the weld will be in the higher stress area. The heat of welding may also affect that area.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

Came across these fuel level sender units, available in a number of different lengths, maybe useful to someone out there.

Sensor Gauge Accessory by SpeedHut
Old 08-12-2011, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finally got back to doing some work on the car. It's a good feeling to be working on it again. Got to get cracking and get it on the road again for Summer.

Made a bit more progress on the new fuel tank.

Here are the baffles roughly worked out and the swirl pot. I made a bit of a mistake when folding the stiffening edge on the baffles and folded them both the same way. Doesn't matter as no one will see them and it won't affect how they work.

The tank is welded inside and out as I want to avoid any leaks from pinholes if possible.

Here's the Fuel pump setup. I'm rather proud of this. It lets me keep my external Bosch 044 pump but it picks up fuel from the bottom of the tank right in the swirl pot like an in tank pump. I was never keen on running wiring inside the tank or fabricating some way of getting the wiring in there.

The bracket and fittings are all integrated into the tank. You just screw the pump into place. Makes it easy to service or replace.

Next step is to finish the swirl pot and weld the baffles in. I'm machining up trap doors for the swirl pot at the moment.

Cheers

Old 08-12-2011, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

as usual Mike, a work of art
Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Looking good Mikey!