Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-18-2011, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon;112****
The catch? It must be at least 22 years old - made before January 1, 1989.
The Catch is that there are at least 3 more Catches even under this provision even then it is not A GUARANTEED entry... as said earlier do your due diligence and then some. because someone else's easy entry isn't always the the blanket policy...
We run 2 large bonded warehouses and the variance of the AQIS inspections, application and INTERPRETATION by those running the SHOW VARY ON A DAILY basis.

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-18-2011, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

It is interesting that the Ariel Atom seems exempt, yet Caterhams aren't?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Merv, I'm not quite following you.

Caterhams are available here and can be road registered.

Ariel Atoms can be imported but not road registered as far as I know.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi not wanting to buy into an area I know little about - Craig and John at JT imports are the experts here. I have used John to bring in a number of items and they are very good and understand the process extremely well. In better words don't buy and try to do it yourself.

The other important thing you are on a web site that has thousands of members. I am sure - even with the size of the USA - that someone will chime in and offer a comment about a car or even look at it for you. The majority of sellers are somehow linked to clubs or known
to individuals. If buying a car in say Tulsa OK. Post a Thread and ask about the car etc. On the relevant club site. You may even find the owner on the site.

Mention was made of this site and Cobra country, personally I would buy off either site and stay away from eBay unless the owner is linked to a club etc. - known.

The point about removing running gear and the suspension is relevant also. Ship separately?

Due diligence is mentioned and I think that is very relevant. At $2300 I would make a trip and
check out both the car and the owner out. A handshake and personal contact means a lot if you want to import other bits.

I have done it this end with cars and property for our US mates.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 04-18-2011 at 02:02 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

I was only wondering Craig. The 'Age' article seemed to suggest that the Ariel was exempt from the 33% tax, but the Caterham was not (I note their prices). I knew the Caterham was road registerable, but was not sure about the Atom. I see that it may not be, from what you say. Just the different treatment of the two under the luxury goods tax seemed interesting.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
Glen, do you want full registration?

The vehicle will need to be pre 1989 to be eligible for import.
Yes I know Craig, it would need to be pre-Jan 1989
Cheers
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

From what I have heard there are no registered Atoms in Oz. They have been working at it for a long time...

Ben
Old 04-18-2011, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glen, are you intending to street register the car in SA once it his here?

Because even though it is not easy to get the car here, registering it once it is here is complex.

I can briefly list the requirements if you want a heads up. Even a brief list will be long.

Last edited by 400TT; 04-18-2011 at 06:18 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
From what I have heard there are no registered Atoms in Oz. They have been working at it for a long time...

Ben
One of 3 that I know of......But hey luckily we do live in Victoria!!!!
[IMG][/IMG]

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 04-18-2011 at 11:11 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Wow,

Perhaps my source was only talking about problems with NSW rego - I will check.

Are you sure they are full rego?

Ben
Old 04-18-2011, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This one was stripped and rebuilt to meet current ADR regs....

Beejay.........Just asked Jeff who owns this car and says his is a ground up build BASED on the Ariel....So I stand corrected!!

As for the other 2 running around on the road I'm unsure of the Registration status on them!!

Imported in their factory form I don't believe you'll get Compliance!!
.....A guy I work with has had a deposit down for nearly 7 yrs and company has transferred AGENCY Licence twice in that time to other builders and purchase is conditional on the fact car can be fully registered.....running a Honda 2000....He still has no car!!!...Coming from New Zealand from memory.

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 04-18-2011 at 11:15 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMK View Post
Hi not wanting to buy into an area I know little about - Craig and John at JT imports are the experts here. I have used John to bring in a number of items and they are very good and understand the process extremely well. In better words don't buy and try to do it yourself.

The other important thing you are on a web site that has thousands of members. I am sure - even with the size of the USA - that someone will chime in and offer a comment about a car or even look at it for you. The majority of sellers are somehow linked to clubs or known
to individuals. If buying a car in say Tulsa OK. Post a Thread and ask about the car etc. On the relevant club site. You may even find the owner on the site.

Mention was made of this site and Cobra country, personally I would buy off either site and stay away from eBay unless the owner is linked to a club etc. - known.

The point about removing running gear and the suspension is relevant also. Ship separately?

Due diligence is mentioned and I think that is very relevant. At $2300 I would make a trip and
check out both the car and the owner out. A handshake and personal contact means a lot if you want to import other bits.

I have done it this end with cars and property for our US mates.
All very good points Bernie. Can't remember if I said it or not, but I have two options....a pre-Jan 1989 car, or a new one. The new one would have to come into the country in two shipments - body/chassis in one and all the other bits in another. It is then 'not a car', so no import license/permit required, and no import duty to pay. There are definitely pros and cons for both options. Due diligence, including a quick trip, is a no-brainer, and leaning on resources available on this forum is another. Thanks Bernie, and thanks all others for advice and comment. Keep it coming.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-18-2011, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Glen, are you intending to street register the car in SA once it his here?

Because even though it is not easy to get the car here, registering it once it is here is complex.

I can briefly list the requirements if you want a heads up. Even a brief list will be long.
Please. Let me have it!
Anything. Everything. I'm all ears.
Cheers,
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 04-19-2011 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: spelling error!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great looking car Paul! Jealous.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
All very good points Bernie. Can't remember if I said it or not, but I have two options....a pre-Jan 1989 car, or a new one. The new one would have to come into the country in two shipments - body/chassis in one and all the other bits in another. It is then 'not a car', so no import license/permit required, and no import duty to pay. There are definitely pros and cons for both options. Due diligence, including a quick trip, is a no-brainer, and leaning on resources available on this forum is another. Thanks Bernie, and thanks all others for advice and comment. Keep it coming.
Cheers,
Glen

So when your saying a "new car" is that a complete car all assembled and titled, then pulled apart for shipping?
Or is it a new "kit" with all parts required?

As I am not sure you will be able to register either version without going through full compliance.
Obviously not an issue if your going to put on club rego only.

Where as the 89 or older car will get rego with a few mods.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd be going for the older car. The ones that I have seen are just great and well built. With a freshen up as Craig suggested, they would be terrific. Even the local ones are worth a close look such as Robnell and Anaconda.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
So when your saying a "new car" is that a complete car all assembled and titled, then pulled apart for shipping?
Or is it a new "kit" with all parts required?

As I am not sure you will be able to register either version without going through full compliance.
Obviously not an issue if your going to put on club rego only.

Where as the 89 or older car will get rego with a few mods.
Hi boxhead. New car means a kit. It would be an ERA 289FIA. Chassis and body in one shipment, then suspension, brakes, wheels, tyres, seats, dash, instruments, wiring loom....everything else - in another shipment. Different ship even. And then full engineering compliance procedure.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
I'd be going for the older car. The ones that I have seen are just great and well built. With a freshen up as Craig suggested, they would be terrific. Even the local ones are worth a close look such as Robnell and Anaconda.
Torn between the two, Merv. Both have good points; both have less than good points (I'm a glass-half-full person. Take that however you like). Hence my original post. Information is power! I haven't got a lot of power at this stage, but once again, the immense resources on this forum are there to be drawn on.
Cheers!
Glen
Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For your older option, the fact that Cobra kits in the USA are not production quality vehicles is where it becomes a bit more complicated.

Normally you would just need to address the following items on imported production vehicles: Headlights to RHD, Seatbelts to compliant lap/sash retractable, Amber Indicators etc.

But essentially you should consider your import to be an ICV that needs to comply with old ADR's. If you are importing a 1988 Cobra, it will need to comply with the relevant 1988 ADR's.

This is what you could be made to do:

* Test/Certification of all the fabricated components: Chassis, Side Intrusion, Seats etc.

* Test/Certification for emisisons: you will need an engine that complies with relevant ADR emissions, it must have all of it's emissions systems installed and operating correctly.

* Fit all the ADR compliance required parts usually missing on USA Cobra Kits: Headrests, Steering Lock, Demister, Windscreen Squirters, Reverse Light, suitable door locks, instrument dimmer etc.

* Meet noise requirements.

* If less than 30 years obviously a LHD -> RHD conversion. But just check whether the tunnel is offset, quite a few USA Cobra's have less footroom in the passenger side.

* Other problem areas: Seat mounts will not comply and you may need to fabricate an entire sub-assembly welded to chassis to support seats. Same goes for seatbelt mounts.

In SA you will also need to get the car inspected by Regency Park.

I've been through this before for an old imported Cobra kit in a different state.

Both of your options are not for the faint hearted. Good luck with it.

Last edited by 400TT; 04-19-2011 at 06:43 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
For your older option, the fact that Cobra kits in the USA are not production quality vehicles is where it becomes a bit more complicated.

Normally you would just need to address the following items on imported production vehicles: Headlights to RHD, Seatbelts to compliant lap/sash retractable, Amber Indicators etc.

But essentially you should consider your import to be an ICV that needs to comply with old ADR's. If you are importing a 1988 Cobra, it will need to comply with the relevant 1988 ADR's.

This is what you could be made to do:

* Test/Certification of all the fabricated components: Chassis, Side Intrusion, Seats etc.

* Test/Certification for emisisons: you will need an engine that complies with relevant ADR emissions, it must have all of it's emissions systems installed and operating correctly.

* Fit all the ADR compliance required parts usually missing on USA Cobra Kits: Headrests, Steering Lock, Demister, Windscreen Squirters, Reverse Light, suitable door locks, instrument dimmer etc.

* Meet noise requirements.

* Other problem areas: Seat mounts will not comply and you may need to fabricate an entire sub-assembly welded to chassis to support seats. Same goes for seatbelt mounts.

In SA you will also need to get the car inspected by Regency Park.

I've been through this before for an old imported Cobra kit in a different state.

Both of your options are not for the faint hearted. Good luck with it.
Thanks for all of that Craig. The importing of a pre-Jan 89 car would be the (relatively) easy part. If I go this way, I need to have eyes wide open, as the registration requirements need to be fully appreciated, otherwise.... big and expensive disappointment.
Cheers,
Glen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: