Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     
Default Anybody shipped a car from USA to Australia?

Hi all. Has anybody any personal experience with shipping a car – any car – from the States to Australia?
Specifically:
1. How do you arrange payment to the owner and when do you pay
2. What shipping companies are good and reliable to deal with
3. What sort of crating or container
4. Any problems getting the car out of USA
5. How easy is it to arrange a vehicle import approval
6. Any problems at this end with Customs
7. Are costs at this end limited to GST and import duty
8. Cost of shipping
9. Any other comments

Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-13-2011, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I asked similar questions on another website and here is the response I got from a fella who imports cars. My question was in relation to importing a 57 Chev. Hope it helps...

".... These days customs have clamped down and will not allow any modified vehicle into the county. This goes as far as non stock size motor for that model of car eg Belair, business coupe etc, its year then model then style specific. The car must have a valid title to be able to leave US soil. As far as mods go, it can be painted but i have heard of cases where a painted car ie metallic when not a factory option have been queeried. Wheels are allowed providing they do not require any brake mods or anything to fit, must be bolt ups. Generally, send a photo of the car you wish to purchase to customs to see if it approves first. Once you get import approval its fairly hard for them to knock it back but can be a hassle once here.
I have heard of cars being knocked back at docks here, then getting allowed in only to not be able to be vicroads registered etc. The idea is to get import aproval (28-40days) before the car leaves. The last 2 cars that came out for us 1 had approval and ours got approval on the way over but it was only an original body on an original chassis (hot rod stuff we import). If the car gets here and is knocked back its either crushed, sent back to where it came from at your cost or you can send to say NZ and ship it back in parts, but may not be able to be registered here is the issue.
As far as shipping goes we use Plane to sea logisitics in Melbourne, which is shipped with J.T corebuyers stuff. They ship out of montclair in Cali. I have been to the shipping yard in Cali personally met the guy who runs they yard etc and it is fine.
Expect to pay $4k to have a car shipped through these guys. Sounds exy but they allow you to fill the car up as much as you like with parts etc at no extra charge, then they ship for you the car space i all yours. Most companys charge for the car then extra for anything else you might have as they would otherwise fill you car and ship for free etc.
Once it lands, you pay gst or duty generally not both i always forget how it works i just pay the bill LOL. One of our cars shipped fine cleared quarantine etc the other had to be washed 3 times at our expense before quarantine would clear it.
Out of all the cars being shipped i have heard a total of only 3% have not been allowed into the country.
hope this helps if you need more info dont hesitate. Also being 57's etc shipping may be more due to the shear size of the vehicle...."
Old 04-13-2011, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVREDSLED View Post
I asked similar questions on another website and here is the response I got from a fella who imports cars. My question was in relation to importing a 57 Chev. Hope it helps...

".... These days customs have clamped down and will not allow any modified vehicle into the county. This goes as far as non stock size motor for that model of car eg Belair, business coupe etc, its year then model then style specific. The car must have a valid title to be able to leave US soil. As far as mods go, it can be painted but i have heard of cases where a painted car ie metallic when not a factory option have been queeried. Wheels are allowed providing they do not require any brake mods or anything to fit, must be bolt ups. Generally, send a photo of the car you wish to purchase to customs to see if it approves first. Once you get import approval its fairly hard for them to knock it back but can be a hassle once here.
I have heard of cars being knocked back at docks here, then getting allowed in only to not be able to be vicroads registered etc. The idea is to get import aproval (28-40days) before the car leaves. The last 2 cars that came out for us 1 had approval and ours got approval on the way over but it was only an original body on an original chassis (hot rod stuff we import). If the car gets here and is knocked back its either crushed, sent back to where it came from at your cost or you can send to say NZ and ship it back in parts, but may not be able to be registered here is the issue.
As far as shipping goes we use Plane to sea logisitics in Melbourne, which is shipped with J.T corebuyers stuff. They ship out of montclair in Cali. I have been to the shipping yard in Cali personally met the guy who runs they yard etc and it is fine.
Expect to pay $4k to have a car shipped through these guys. Sounds exy but they allow you to fill the car up as much as you like with parts etc at no extra charge, then they ship for you the car space i all yours. Most companys charge for the car then extra for anything else you might have as they would otherwise fill you car and ship for free etc.
Once it lands, you pay gst or duty generally not both i always forget how it works i just pay the bill LOL. One of our cars shipped fine cleared quarantine etc the other had to be washed 3 times at our expense before quarantine would clear it.
Out of all the cars being shipped i have heard a total of only 3% have not been allowed into the country.
hope this helps if you need more info dont hesitate. Also being 57's etc shipping may be more due to the shear size of the vehicle...."
Thanks HSVREDSLED
From what I have found out so far, it appears that import approval is straightforward enough (agreed, that is an entirely different area to gaining registration), so what happens when the car gets here doesn’t worry me too much.
But what about getting a car out of the States?
I would need (I assume) some sort of title document and receipt that proves that I own the car.
I believe I would need some sort of documentation that shows when the car was built (a Motor Vehicle Certificate of Origin, I think it’s called?) and by whom.
You mention Plane to Sea Logistics. If for example, the car was on the east coast, would Plane to Sea organize it from there, do you know? I know – I could ask them, but I’m just trying to reduce the number of unknowns a bit first.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-13-2011, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

There are loads of companies in LA that specialize in this sort of thing.
Buy unique cars and there will be a number of them advertising.
You will find they will have answers to all your questions.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1038--sold
Not Ranked     

When I shipped a Mustang to Australia I know it sat in customs there for quite some time so they could go over it. Also it could not have any leaks or they would fix them and charge the new owner.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Glen, yep done it.

1. How do you arrange payment to the owner and when do you pay.
Depends who you're buying it from but generally hand it over...then wait!
2. What shipping companies are good and reliable to deal with
AustOrient I HIGHLY recommend. You do get what ya pay for!
3. What sort of crating or container
Container. Insurer it for freight! Containers fall off ships EVERY day!
4. Any problems getting the car out of USA
No not really. But the good folk from the states can be a little different than us ozzies if your a sucker for constant communication and updates. West is easier and cheaper than East!
5. How easy is it to arrange a vehicle import approval
Depends what your importing? One would think a Race Built Ferrari built at Marenillo HQ for racing wouldn't attract LCT. But it does. Anything with or that can have a passenger seat does.. Although I got around this. You also have avenues with the AUSTRADE agreement subject to where your car was built etc. If built in USA there are options to get exemptions...
6. Any problems at this end with Customs
Nope, sweet as but others haven't been so lucky.
7. Are costs at this end limited to GST and import duty.
GST, import duty, potential LCT bla bla bla. It all really adds up!
8. Cost of shipping
Varies from east or west coast. Plys whether your sharing or using your own 20 footer. Vosts can range from 3 - 10 K.
9. Any other comments
Too much to list here. Due lots of due diligence. And then do a bit more....

Know your seller. That counts for allot as in the end that all you can trust your gut on who ya buying it from.! There are lots of advantages buying ex USA, but there are lots of negatives as well. Would I do it again, yep...but I know more now than when I did it!

Signing off from Moorea Tahiti.
Aloha
Spookypt.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Spook, I think you had too many Daquari's by the end

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A buddy sold 2 restored 65 Mustangs in the last year or two,one went to Australia and the other to New Zeland....he delivered both to a dock/shipyard in New Orleans where they were loaded in a container then placed on the ship.On this end,he said it was easy...

he told me he mailed the title/paperwork to the buyer once he recieved his money and before the car was shipped.He also said that once the cars were delivered to the docks for loading,it was in the owners hands.

He did say,but I don't remember,but I thought the cost out of New Orleans was about half of what I would have expected, could also be because of the dollar exchange rate at the time.....
David
Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Hi Glen, yep done it.

1. How do you arrange payment to the owner and when do you pay.
Depends who you're buying it from but generally hand it over...then wait!

Know your seller. That counts for allot as in the end that all you can trust your gut on who ya buying it from.! There are lots of advantages buying ex USA, but there are lots of negatives as well. Would I do it again, yep...but I know more now than when I did it!

Signing off from Moorea Tahiti.
Aloha
Spookypt.
Thanks Spookypt. It's mainly the handing over the cash, and not being able to take the car on the spot and trusting the seller that he will hand it over to the transport guys when they come to pick it up. That's what I'm 'concerned' about.
Your comment about "know your seller" - does that mean I should only look at buying from, for example, people who advertise the sale in ClubCobra or CobraCountry? Probably....
Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-15-2011, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

A factory five ex racer was shipped to Emerald QLD recently as parts, it had the donk out and possibly the arms and legs removed. If this is an option for you PM me and I will give you his phone number so you can ask your own questions direct to the man.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I shipped my CCX to your area, actually Craig of RCR did the arranging as all I did was drop it off at a PU sight.

Call Craig at RCR Australia for details....
Old 04-15-2011, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default PM me

Glen, happy to talk you through what I know. I'm in Tahiti at the moment but can give you a call or visca versa in early May when I get back.

Matt
Old 04-15-2011, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Thanks Spookypt. It's mainly the handing over the cash, and not being able to take the car on the spot and trusting the seller that he will hand it over to the transport guys when they come to pick it up. That's what I'm 'concerned' about.
Your comment about "know your seller" - does that mean I should only look at buying from, for example, people who advertise the sale in ClubCobra or CobraCountry? Probably....
Cheers,
Glen
Buying a car from the ClubCobra or CobraCountry websites doesn't really make it any safer than buying through other channels. Dad and I have imported a couple of cars in the last year - one was a private sale on Ebay, the other a consignment sale through a special interest car yard.

Assuming that you're looking for a Cobra, there's a bit of a Catch 22 situation to consider. You need to provide a mountain of evidence regarding a car's age and proof of first registration if you're bringing in a pre-89 car. Be prepared to be challenged on this before import approval is granted. That being the case, you also need to show proof of purchase. ie: you need to buy the car before you know if you will be allowed to import it...

If you buy the car with a clause stating that you can back out of the deal if import approval isn't granted, you are asking a seller to effectively sit on the car for a month or more without any real certainty of the sale.

It's all good fun if it works out...!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Spookyt

I hope you didn't miss swimming with the sharks and the rays in Moorea Lagoon. What a buzz that was.

How is my Grange performing. I miss it a lot.

Baz
Old 04-16-2011, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

I love Moorea, one of my favorite places on the planet along with Maui and Samui.

We had a week in Club Med there back in 1992 - spectacular!

Got my dive ticket there.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Baz.... my wife would kill me if she knew I was on the site. I'm supposed to be "relaxing" LOL!
I've been here for 2 weeks so far. Spent a few days in Tahiti chasing waves and now I'm staying at Tehuarupe in Haapiti overlooking the surf breaks of Haapiti and Atiha!
I've had 6 days straight of triple overhead surf... Not relaxing very well! LOL
The Grange is going great as far as I am aware. He parks it in his living room.

$hit! The wife is back with some Baguettes. Gotta Fly!

SpookyPT
Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest34au View Post
A factory five ex racer was shipped to Emerald QLD recently as parts, it had the donk out and possibly the arms and legs removed. If this is an option for you PM me and I will give you his phone number so you can ask your own questions direct to the man.
Thanks anyway Outwest34au, but it would be a complete car.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Buying a car from the ClubCobra or CobraCountry websites doesn't really make it any safer than buying through other channels. Dad and I have imported a couple of cars in the last year - one was a private sale on Ebay, the other a consignment sale through a special interest car yard.

Assuming that you're looking for a Cobra, there's a bit of a Catch 22 situation to consider. You need to provide a mountain of evidence regarding a car's age and proof of first registration if you're bringing in a pre-89 car. Be prepared to be challenged on this before import approval is granted. That being the case, you also need to show proof of purchase. ie: you need to buy the car before you know if you will be allowed to import it...

If you buy the car with a clause stating that you can back out of the deal if import approval isn't granted, you are asking a seller to effectively sit on the car for a month or more without any real certainty of the sale.

It's all good fun if it works out...!
Thanks Craig. It would be a pre-89 car, or a new one, ckd.
So...if the right pre-89 car comes up, and being 'right' includes having bulletproof MSO if factory built, or if not then evidence of first registration. If none of that is available, then it’s a non-starter for obtaining an import license, so couldn’t even look at it.
And again, bulletproof proof of purchase (including it not being on their stolen list) is essential to be able to exit US ports.
This all means that the car would need to be a relatively well-known car (in ClubCobra circles) but even still, actually buying (ie paying for) a car and then leaving it to make its way through the export system under somebody else’s control is something that I am still to become comfortable with.
Otherwise it’s the ERA FIA way. That’s not a bad alternative now, is it?
Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-18-2011, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Glen, do you want full registration?

The vehicle will need to be pre 1989 to be eligible for import.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

In today's Age:

Australians can only personally import a vehicle if they have owned and used it while living overseas for an extended period.

The car must have been purchased abroad, registered in your name, garaged in proximity to your overseas address and owned for at least 12 months continually - and that ''qualifying period'' must have immediately preceded a permanent return to Australia.

Even then, however, there's no escaping the luxury car tax if it's worth more than $57,466. You can apply for a revised value to be calculated for the car if it's not new, but if it's above the threshold personal importers will still be slugged with the 33 per cent tax, as well as GST and customs duty.

One of the few exceptions granted by Department of Infrastructure and Transport rules is the Specialist and Enthusiast Vehicle Scheme, which, subject to approval, allows the import of certain vehicles not sold locally in an official capacity, such as Ariel's Atom sports car (above).

An ever-changing list of cars that can potentially be brought here is on the department's website (infrastructure.gov.au).

There is another option that allows any Australian to import any vehicle. The catch? It must be at least 22 years old - made before January 1, 1989.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.