Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the first run.

Yo, Ron, the system did something strange - terminated the last half of my message.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpeater View Post
How is the reverse lockout, if you remember I had a problem?
Hi Peter, I spoke to Justin and it's the same reverse lockout gremlin in my VE tune. I'll send it to them next week to be fixed.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Default Yahoo

Good on you Paul! Hope you get heaps done on the long weekend

regards

Mick
Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, VE L98 + T56
Not Ranked     

Paul, Sorry for the late reply, Yep Justin had to redo the "Base Tune" Probably your problem too Tenrocca if you have a VE tune. Mine is fine now.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes Peter and in the mean time I'll be using Tenrocca's switch method to get around the problem. Worth pointing out that the 12v pos to the solenoid is constant and it's the earth that is switched by the ECU to complete the circuit.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to Doubledip
Not Ranked     

if you can grab a scanner and scan for codes before sending up Sambo that will be good.. seems you are running it around abit .. just dont take battery off as it will erase them before you get the scanner on to it...

then send them up with ecu and when i fix your reverse lockout i can turn them off as well.

Peter as for yours if you want run it around a little longer then you are welcome to send your ecu back up and i can turn them off as well if you like...
Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Justin, much appreciated. Is there a cheap scan tool you can recommend?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

cant recommend a cheap scan tool through owning one as all my scanners cost between $6-7000 each (except for tuning tool) .. here is one i found on ebay and says it can do VT-VZ along with VE

Handhold OBD2/EOBD Auto SCANNER GS400 | eBay

just need to be careful though as although they say they can do a protocol GM uses there own PIDS in the ECU and some of the cheaper scanners may not pickup on them
Old 04-24-2011, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledip View Post
cant recommend a cheap scan tool through owning one as all my scanners cost between $6-7000 each (except for tuning tool) .. here is one i found on ebay and says it can do VT-VZ along with VE

Handhold OBD2/EOBD Auto SCANNER GS400 | eBay

just need to be careful though as although they say they can do a protocol GM uses there own PIDS in the ECU and some of the cheaper scanners may not pickup on them
Hey Paul, If you end up getting one of these readers, can you give a "review" here? I bought one cheapie that is supposed to work with my laptop but getting the software to work is a pain.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the first drive too.........something I'll never forget.

Re the reverse lockout, as an alternative to tenroccas' idea, there's a few of us who've wired a connection to the brake light switch. Just tap the brake (as you tend to do before reversing) and the lockout releases.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: have brakes, diff, gearbox, steering rack, gear stick, door locks, CR chassis 3518
Not Ranked     

Byroncobra,
doesn't hurt to have a speed lockout connected as well, jay car have something for that

Reason being if you have a T56 with reverse next to fifth gear and your in 6 gear changing down to fifth with your foot on the brake it opens up reverse gear solenoid allow you to access reverse instead of fifth gear.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpeater View Post
Hey Paul, If you end up getting one of these readers, can you give a "review" here? I bought one cheapie that is supposed to work with my laptop but getting the software to work is a pain.
I admit my name isn't Paul, but I have EFI Live and so far it is a great tool. The software is easy to understand unless you want to go deeper. I had one with the USB port not soldered in so I threw it in the toolbox and forgot about it until I needed to use it. When I pulled it apart and saw the problem the team sent me a new one even thought the warranty had expired.
There are a million (nearly) things you can do with it only limited by your enthusiasm and IQ.
There are tunes online that others have shared or you can manipulate your tune to suit your needs.
If all else fails you can just use it to read codes and set basic engine parameters. I have a REAL LOT to learn to gain full potential of the tool but it is one I recommend as an option for you.
The reason I bought it was so I can be a standard family car at rego and whatever I want when I leave, it takes less time to punch a tune in than it does to affix number plates with a cordless drill and tech screws.
Added with that is the constant support and advancement of the EFI Live team to enable on the road scanning etc.
Do yourself a favour and read up on the EFI Live forum and gets some reviews from real people using it for real.
If you dont like it, thats fine.

This was not a paid advertisment, just a happy consumer.
Disclaimer, any typos or spelling mistakes may reflect on my IQ but should not be held against the company that builds the unit.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauies View Post
Byroncobra,
doesn't hurt to have a speed lockout connected as well, jay car have something for that

Reason being if you have a T56 with reverse next to fifth gear and your in 6 gear changing down to fifth with your foot on the brake it opens up reverse gear solenoid allow you to access reverse instead of fifth gear.
Totally agree.. bad idea wiring to brake switch.. might as well just remove it

Have it working properly and then no worry at all...

as for the scanning software there are heaps out there.. just need to be carefull that it can actually read all the GM PIDS... codes may be fine but the live data is a different story.

It will be too much probably for most on here but you can purchase efilive scan only tool for $300 or so and if need be upgrade later a an extra charge to the full tuning package...

Stumpeater.. what software are you having trouble with?
Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Double Dip. I took a gamble and bought a real cheapie about $12.00 posted:
Car Scanner auto Scan Tool CAN Bus OBD2 OBD 2 II W35 | eBay

But it didn't come with software, only links to sites that don't like my unit. I have downloaded another german freeware one but I haven't tried it yet. Another case of "you get what you pay for" I suppose. I only want it for the codes so Justin can delete them for me.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

try PCMScan or ScanXL
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Scan tools

A bit of an update on the scan tools. I've ordered an ELM327 1.4a interface off eBay for a whole $24 which supports the ODB2 protocol that Gen4 VZ/VE uses.

I've also looked into the PCMScan/ScanXL software which appear to be pro/generic versions of scanning software from Palmer Performance Engineering. Holden is on their list of supported vehicles however I'm not holding my breath for all of Holden's custom PIDs to come through.

I'll start a dedicated thread when I get everything up and running.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I got one of them and managed to get it up and running and talking to the car - had to try a few of the free softwares and a bit of mucking to get em communicating but not complaining for the cost. In the end it works pretty well - able to read off all the codes and let the tuner know what he has to fix. Also useful for checking temps and making sure the tach is right etc. Can reset engine light as well - For the small investment it is worthwhile.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Paul,

I've got DashCommand on my iPod Touch using the Kiwi WiFi dongle. Seems to work ok, says no problems

Cheers
Old 05-11-2011, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
I got one of them and managed to get it up and running and talking to the car - had to try a few of the free softwares and a bit of mucking to get em communicating
Which Free software did you end up using? I've tried about 4 with no luck, I downloaded the ScanXL but they want about $90.00 for the full version, and I can't get the demo to do anything yet, so don't want to risk buying it.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Im pretty sure it was scantool I got to work OK (it looks a very basic program but has everything you should need for the basics). I had to fiddle with the connection settings first though - it was a few years ago. memory is fading, but I seem to remember having to do something first with scanmaster (I think it was a demo), and once I made a connection with that, scantool started to work too. Wish I could be more helpful.

Cheers