Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     
Default Excess positive camber issue

Hi all,
a quick check with a 90* set square today confirmed what I suspected. The right hand side front wheel has excess positive camber and no shims that I can remove to correct it.
Short of cutting off the end plate and rewelding it further inboard does anyone have any ideas on how I can correct the situation?
Are there camber kits that can dial this out? Are there adjustable top arms which exist that are legal to use?
Suspension is Jag XJ to the best of my knowledge.

All suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited by Outwest34au; 05-01-2011 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: xj not xj6 I think?? Brett may correct me
Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Cutting that and rewelding would appear to be a very easy solution, and the safest, AND least costly.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

A few guys have fitted the factory five upper arms, they require welding to fit but allow infinite adjustment.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest34au View Post
Hi all,
a quick check with a 90* set square today confirmed what I suspected. The right hand side front wheel has excess positive camber and no shims that I can remove to correct it.
Short of cutting off the end plate and rewelding it further inboard does anyone have any ideas on how I can correct the situation?
Are there camber kits that can dial this out? Are there adjustable top arms which exist that are legal to use?
Suspension is Jag XJ6 to the best of my knowledge.

Hi yourself. Wouldn't really want to cut that end plate off and re-weld, would you? What is the history of the car? Was the camber OK at some previous time, and has that corner taken a biffo? If so, damaged upright might need replacing. Of upright is OK, can you shim out the bottom wishbone to achieve correct camber? Another alternative (if upright is OK and you can't shim the lower mount) could be to have a new wishbone mount (the bit that the wishbone 'arms' and bushes assemble to) machined up so that the threaded ends of this bit are closer in towards the centreline of the car. That shouldn't be to expensive. Need to use the correct steel though.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Glen,
the car has never been biffed, it has only done 1 km or so on the road in its entire life so far. It is a manufacturing defect.
If I was to shim out the bottom arm somehow the RHS wheel would ultimately stick out further than the left side.
I know in my heart that any bodgey fix its will affect the bump steer and suspension workings, so really relocating the bracket is the option.
I guess I just needed confirmation of this.

I just made a call to Frank from Gerada Engineering in Capella and as luck would have it he and his lovely wife both own cobras and are heading out this way for lunch. His workmanship is impeccable and if he suggests cut and re-glue it back on that is the way I will go. Talk about good timing with the phone call.
I will go measure up the shock mount and hope it doesnt need to be moved also.

If he turns up I will take and post a pic of his car.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

Hi Gary
Had exactly the same problem with mine. Must have been the jigs at Evans.
We cut the plates off and moved them in both sides and rewelded but also gussetted them as well.

Cheers
Brett
Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Based on other measurements on the frame - and not just the tire camber - are you sure the frame is out of square? Could it be that the lower arm mounts are too far in?

In any cas, as said a bove an adjustable arm would be a nice upgrade, and will make alignment a breeze to do. FFR uses arms from Specialty Products Company. The street version has rubber bushings like yours. The racing version is probably easier to fit where youy want it to.

http://www.spcperformance.com/images...09_PerfCat.pdf
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 05-01-2011, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

i would check measure the chassic from centre to be sure that both sides are not positive /or neg while your at it
or worst case is the jig it was welded on had moved so then left is a heap neg
let use know what happened
ROB
Old 05-01-2011, 09:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input Bob.
Those arms are a nice bit of gear and could be an option if I can't get expert welding help. I can weld by all means but would rather a true expert do the job.
I have measured from the flat mount plate back to the longitudinal rails and the RHS measures up at 10 mm or 3/8" roughly further out. IMO that is a huge F... up for a chassis builder.
I will keep SPCP in mind though,but I am not sure how much a band aid fix (allbeit a very nice one) will affect the handling.
If and when I ever sell this car I want to be sure it is built properly even if on a budget.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovationinnov View Post
i would check measure the chassic from centre to be sure that both sides are not positive /or neg while your at it
or worst case is the jig it was welded on had moved so then left is a heap neg
let use know what happened
ROB
Hi Rob,
the LHS will be marginal 3mm negative with no shims at all. Of course I will have to allow some shimming for caster though which may pull it back less than 3 mm. Time will tell on that one.
If I had bulk negative it would not really be an issue (apart from centreline geometry) as it could easily be shimmed toward positive bias.

I ended up with the Evans kit after he split from Paul at W & E. Obviously this guy was pumping a few out and didn't have the same respect for quality build as Paul did/ does. I have spoke with Paul a few times but since my kit was after the split I am the owner of a bast*rd child. Nothing that cant be fixed, just sloppy at the factory or backyard colourbond shed or wherever he built them.
Appreciate your thought time though.
Cheers
Gary
Old 05-01-2011, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just had a call from Frank, his DRB had an ignition problem 10km out of town and he had to hold the key just before the crank position to get home. He has a DRB with LH Torana bits so we all know what the issue is, easy fix but PITA on the road. Being the gentleman he is he has offered to bring a big welder over here (100 km return trip) and help fix things in my shed. Truely shows the passion of a Cobra owner and what a real fair dinkum bloke he is.
BTW, his business is for sale so if you want to enter the fabricating and welding industry in the coal money belt here give me a buzz and make yourself zillions. Some nice contracts go with the show and some well disciplined craftsmen.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Cutting and welding is the only way to go. Any other ways are not fixing the underlying cause and may introduce other weird and wonderful alignment issues. You would hate to put on the adjustable arms and wind it all the way in only to find it doesnt have enough thread. This would also mean a major difference in upper arm lengths.

Its a bit of work in dissassembly but should only be half an hour of cutting and welding. The idea of gussets as suggested would be a good move also.

Whilst you are at it, get rid of the orange juice bottle
Old 05-02-2011, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Snake View Post
Hi Gary
Had exactly the same problem with mine. Must have been the jigs at Evans.
We cut the plates off and moved them in both sides and rewelded but also gussetted them as well.

Cheers
Brett
The gusset idea is a very good one AND once the shims are in place and the geometry sorted. Take the time to make one solid shim right across the two bolts. This spreads the load evenly over the whole plate and doesn't make 'flex' points.
Rob.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Here's another thought. You're right, 3/8" is a lot. You could simply add an adjustable arm and be done with it. But, now the arms are differant lengths front to rear. That means the upper ball joint will follow a differant arc, and change things like bump steer, and camber gain while cornering.

Before you cut things apart, do some measuring. You may find that side to be more favorable for handeling. If that's the case, you can simply add a 3/8" spacer on the other side to make them equal.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 05-02-2011, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Adelaide Cobra - 351w & 4-Spd Toploader C/R - "Construction Underway!"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest34au View Post
Hi all,
Suspension is Jag XJ to the best of my knowledge.

Howdy,

I have a Woolley chassis that was built 3 yrs ago and after several hours of "stringing" the rolling chassis, I am now quite comfortable that she is square. However, you may be right about the lower QC of the Evans chassis :-(

Before cutting the suspension pick up points are you sure the upper and lower control arms are correctly mounted? The lower control arms are different (left to right) and the uppers may be a mixed bag of S1/S2 components.

Could you post some images of the lower arms and shock mountings. And a front-on image would be good.

Cheers,

Roy
Old 05-03-2011, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rob, Bob, Bj and Roy,
thanks all for the input.
BJ, I will add gussets, such a simple job with potential big benefit. How much did you move your LHS in? I will do angular measurements on it before I cut, but if I have to I might as well do it at the same time.

If I add a (circa) 3/8" spacer to the other side both wheels will be positive and I can't see how that will be desirable.
Good idea with the one piece shim Rob. I might have to mill one or file depending on the difference due to caster adjustment, but once again, a job with beneficial long term results.
Roy, welcome to the party.
Are you saying the lower arms ARE different or that they may be?
The measurement from the longitudinal rails to the top shock mount is the same on both sides, but from the shock mount to top control arm mount plate is 10mm extra on the RHS. The LHS wheel sits nicely in the gaurd with my 7 inch Dragways on but the LHS is way out, of course this looks bad because the problem is at the top, if I had excess negative it would not look so pronounced (and be shimmable).
Yesterday I took the radiator out and got the ars* end up in the air then went for beers with the neighbour (was my first day off in a while) but friday coming I will get the front up and take some pics before I strip it down. I plan to mark where the cuts will be but might leave that till Frank rocks up as it will only take 10 minutes to circumcise it with a 4 inch and ultra thin wheel.
In hindsight it isnt going to be that big a job, just one that should not have to be done if the chassis builder was worth his salt.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     
Default Series 2 bottom Wishbones

Hi Outwest34au,

While you have the front end out it would be worth your while to check that you have Series 2 bottom wishbones. They give you more + caster as they are moved slightly forward at the balljoint (~10mm) than series 1. ie there is a left and right side. (Beware dont put them on the wrong side)

I had series 1 originally on my car and they are straight at the ball joint ie are at 90° to the mounting. I had 0° caster. For about $50 for a set of series 2 at the Jaguar wrecker totally transformed my RMC that had bump steer issues. (ended up at 3° + caster after an alignment). Make sure you take enough off each side as adjusting Caster and Camber takes a bit of movement with shims.

Cheers

TC
Old 05-03-2011, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Adelaide Cobra - 351w & 4-Spd Toploader C/R - "Construction Underway!"
Not Ranked     

Hi Outwest34au,

Yes, the lower Series II control arms are different from left side to right as Tony C. has mentioned above.

Also note: I believe the Series I upper control arms are also so handed i.e front arm different to rear arm.

If your control arms (upper/lower) were sourced from different vehicles you could have a mixture of SI/II on the left side compared to you right side.

I have attached images of my front end which i removed from a '76 Series II XJ6. I also have scans of the Jaguar supplied Repair Manual that will give you the correct dimensions etc. Let me know and I can upload them

Regards Roy

Name:  frontend_l.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  frontend_r.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  36.8 KB

Name:  frontend_lr.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  38.4 KB
Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

"I also have scans of the Jaguar supplied Repair Manual that will give you the correct dimensions etc. Let me know and I can upload them"

Thanks Roy, that would be a great help. If things need changing now is the time to do it.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

The upper Jag arms are asymmetrical too so you need to make sure they are installed on the correct sides. I have a spare set if anyone needs them now that I've replaced mine with FFR arms.

cheers