Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

3 left hand park wiper arms in the classic mini style $40 delivered from the UK. Similar in Au about $42 for 1 arm, and around $44 per arm from the US.

I might be penny wise and pound foolish, but I hate getting ripped.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

My 0.02c worth...
There's us, the consumers, and there's the parts suppliers.
Do we support them or do they support us?
Cheers,
Glen
Old 06-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

xb, I think that you've hit right on the salient point.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: King Cobra, QLD - 347 windsor
Not Ranked     

It's right across retail. I get a little peeved when I hear the likes of Gerry Harvey having a sook about the impact on retailers.

A particular brand of running shoe in Darwin....

Cheapest I can get locally $240 x 1 pair

Cheapest I could find in Oz $180 x 1 pair plus $15 dollars freight

Bought them from the US. 2 x pairs and 4 pairs of socks($10 pair here) delivered, just under $200.

And to my surprise - they are the same as my old ones.......and are all made in China. How is it that a booming Australian dollar has so much less buying power in China, or is someone just being greedy??
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

It's not all that long ago (6 or 7 years ago?) that the AUD hit a low of USD 0.48
As the Aussie dollar was sliding down, prices of imported cars and car parts (and other stuff like petrol) were rising almost weekly.
Now that the AUD is very strong, imported cars/parts/stuff have gone down in price ......haven't they?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Warning, dirty words in the vid. Since I'm a yank I can only surmise that having a "sook" is pansyfied.
YouTube - ‪Ronnie Johns - Chopper - Harden the **** Up‬‏

Last edited by lovehamr; 06-03-2011 at 11:54 PM..
Old 06-10-2011, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Mmmm nothing like a GFC to get things competitive...

I have been purchasing and carrying - hand luggage - cases of parts into Australia for years. Some of the bigger suppliers mentioned in Australia have not been willing to compete with overseas suppliers.

Then along come this new group of purchasers - the younger generation - who are very computer savvy and do not see boundaries to their purchases and suppliers.

This will be the challenge to every Australian retailer as they move into a global market rather than dealing and adding high margins on in a local market. My kids will always Google a product before buying. Mmmm and I am learning quickly that it easier than carrying back hand luggage...

It will be interesting to see how many local suppliers even with Australian import costs, GST and other Customs charges end up competing and ultimately surviving.

Where I live we are very productive community, we make those little tags that say.. "Made in China" .....
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 06-10-2011 at 03:34 PM..
Old 06-10-2011, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison build #98 with Supercharged 6.2L of Chev Power, TKO600 5 speed gearbox
Not Ranked     

I just purchased some block hugger headers for my LS1. I got quoted a price of $800 to make them locally, or $500 to purchase a stocked overseas part locally.

I went onto an overseas site and purchased them delivered to my door within a week for $418US (approx $390AU). The money I saved will enable me to do other things to the vehicle that I would not have been able to do.

I do support local business but cracked it when Gerry Harvey and his mates started to get antsy about products being brought in from overseas far cheaper than they are being sold here. I feel its funny that Myers, DJ's, Harvey Normal etc..... were the first to source items made in the cheaper countries first in order to make a higher profit for their shareholders while effectively closing down the local production, then cry poor when everybody else does it!!!!!.

Anyway, that my 5 cents, and one day that maybe 10cents as it costs more than 5 cents to make 5 cents nowdays.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1995 Snake Pit DRB "Coca Cola" , 5.0 LT HO , T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.L. View Post
I do support local business but cracked it when Gerry Harvey and his mates started to get antsy about products being brought in from overseas far cheaper than they are being sold here. !!!!!
I have to agree that i was tipped over the edge after seeing Harvey Ripoff whinging on tv aswell, I havent really read much of this thread but thought i would mention my latest experience. A couple of weeks ago a friend gave me an old camera that needed some batteries so i went to Dick Smith and bought 2 batteries for $6.00 when i got home the camera wouldnt work so i rang my mate who said it must be the batteries as the camera was fine, i put the batteries into an old "donkey kong" and yes they were flat!!!! and brand new Dickies wouldnt replace them as electrical items have no warranty, so i went online and bought 20!!! batteries for under $2.00 with shipping less than $2.00 for a total of $3.98 delivered!!!! your kidding yourself these days if you dont want to buy from China as almost everything comes from there anyway...

20x AG13 SG13 LR44 LR1154 A76 SR44 Button Cell Battery | eBay
Old 06-10-2011, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ROBNELL
Not Ranked     

My company just retrenched 7 full time and 4 part time mums in Sydney because our overseas competitor sells the product we make for about 30% cheaper !

Those 'one off' bargain deals offshore we all buy on the net ,add up when the whole country is doing it !

Even if we are buying off Myers etc...they employ Australians at least.

Most of the times its on the luxury end that the bargains are at, but Aus manufacture is dying at an alarming rate ! we can not rely on minerals forever.

I am just as guilty as the next bloke .

Just my 5 yen !
Old 06-12-2011, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

I remember growing up we didn't have mega stores all over the place, late night and Sunday trading, etc. You had corner milk bars for the essentials and I certainly don't recall every second store having a 'sale' every other week. It seems like retail is out of control and we're hooked on spending. Perhaps we should be encouraging people back into jobs that directly support and benefit local communities. And I don't mean more UPS/Fedex/DHL drivers!

Now where's that tracking number...
Old 06-14-2011, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Our oven cooked its last bake dinner last week, RIP.

Our new oven was purchased by googling all the options, rang a few outlets for prices, called some friends and asked their opinions.

Bought it over the phone and the oven was delivered within 24hrs.

I am not sure what value some retail stores offer these days.

Phil
Old 01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have been looking these past months at purchasing kit from local (Australian) supplier.
Had virtually decided on a couple of kits and go and have a look at, printed out $$ from their sites before Xmas. Looked at one site after new year and was shocked to see price increase of between 40%-100%+ (complete kit stayed same) extras like wheels/mats/optional rear ends/bumpers etc etc.. had increased
Went to the American site, the original price list I had printed out was theirs. At those inflated prices why would you buy here. Even after shipping etc way cheaper.
I am now reconsidering wether to buy from this local kit supplier

Last edited by mudbrick; 01-13-2012 at 02:29 PM..
Old 01-13-2012, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mudbrick,

I still think the local kits are the way to go, especially in NSW.

Accessories can be purchased from lots of places, I think most of us shop around for the best price on all those things.

Always a hard decision if you are looking to start!

Ben
Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4
Not Ranked     

[quote=mudbrick;1170622]Have been looking these past months at purchasing kit from local (

I have been dealing with the same said supplier and he has from the day I met him explained website is under development and to call him about any concerns.

Having done the exercise of importing myself previously you need to look at all the costs of importing and then look at what the local cars cost by the time registered.

Last edited by Zeus; 01-13-2012 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Bit nasty
Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
You obviously have no idea about what you are talking.
Zeus, maybe it's just me but I find your post a bit confusing and certainly confrontational.

Ease up a bit hey.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
I remember growing up we didn't have mega stores all over the place, late night and Sunday trading, etc. You had corner milk bars for the essentials and I certainly don't recall every second store having a 'sale' every other week.
Sambo I remember when I was a kid we had a milkman and baker deliver standing orders. Even had a fruit fella came once a week with the freshest of produce. Early version of internet shopping without even needing an ISP.

Did I tell you I hate huge retail shopping centers.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Zeus,

I would love more information on any Cobra that is 20 years ahead of all others!

Please be more specific.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Zuess, mudbrick, Who are we talking arguing about - Im guessing FF MArk 4 19990 US complete kit. FF Componant cars 38990 AU complete kit? 19k for shipping, import and compliance costs. Reasonable? probably - not happy, than try doing it all yourself. (Im not saying thats a bad thing - Ive considered it). Wondering if FF USA would even ship to a OZ purchaser anymore?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Zeus, maybe it's just me but I find your post a bit confusing and certainly confrontational.

Ease up a bit hey.
Yes sorry bout that. Got carried away.